Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 07:32 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently have camping reservations in Santa Fe May 24-30. I'm just curious how the wild fires are impacting the area. Is it extremely hazy in the area? Do you think it's likely to still be going in two weeks? I didn't think monsoon season started until a little later in spring/summer. The last two years we've gone to Pagosa Springs and Moab and dealt with haze from fires. I'm just kind of tired of it and thinking about canceling the reservations. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 07:50 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Fire season (dry spring) and monsoon season (summer rain) are different things. We'd love to have a monsoon now to help extinguish the fires. We've had extremely dry and windy conditions lately with no rain in sight.

Can't tell what will happen before or during your trip. You're camping in Santa Fe (city)? Or the National Forest somewhere? It has not been very hazy in Santa Fe the last few days. But that can change on a dime.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Fire season (dry spring) and monsoon season (summer rain) are different things. We'd love to have a monsoon now to help extinguish the fires. We've had extremely dry and windy conditions lately with no rain in sight.

Can't tell what will happen before or during your trip. You're camping in Santa Fe (city)? Or the National Forest somewhere? It has not been very hazy in Santa Fe the last few days. But that can change on a dime.
Yes, in Santa Fe city at an RV park but plan on do hiking in the mountains.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:52 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
Check that the mountain area you plan on hiking in is not closed due to fire danger.

Old 05-11-2022, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 3,654 times
SFNF Alerts and Closures:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/santa...stelprd3802009

Inciweb fire status:
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/accessible-view/

Calf Canyon, Hermits Peak are of interest here.

I'm surprised the forest has not been completely closed by now. In years past is has been closed by June when it gets this dry. Conditions are the worst I have seen in 12 years.

I just saw a fire blow up today on the Highway 63 Pecos corridor where there are a bunch of campgrounds. It's moving fast and there is no reference (yet) on the USFS page or Inciweb.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:57 PM

We went ahead and just canceled our reservations and opted for clear views and humidity close to home. Thanks for the responses. Maybe next year…

Old 05-13-2022, 05:46 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I think that is wise. I have friends in the area, sending me photos every day of the smoke. Even though the area you had reservations is not all that impacted, there are other reasons. I traveled through NM 10 days ago. Two gas stations were out of gas. I finally found gas at another station in Santa Fe. I don't know if the problem still exists. My people are in the Las Vegas and Mora County area. I have no direct contacts in Santa Fe. Others here can chime in.

The smoke varies all day long, and each day. It is often still intense. These fires are going to go on for a while. It is heartbreaking. I have friends and acquaintances who have lost ranches and homes. I will keep my mouth shut about the U.S. Forest Service goin ahead with a prescribed burn in a very severe drought. They took a gamble and lost bigtime.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:21 PM
CII

152 posts, read 223,689 times
We have been in an “extreme drought” for the past three or four years. They really had very little choice about the drought conditions. As far as winds, anyone who has spent time up here in the spring knows there can be on forecast wind events.

This wind event has been unprecedented. I wish the fire had not been started, obviously, however if the undergrowth and fallen wood isn’t burned off, the danger becomes worse and worse.

There is no comparison between the cause of this terrible fire and one set by a careless camper or an oblivious smoker.

Old 05-14-2022, 07:52 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I agree. One of the reasons I decided to cease living in rural New Mexico (Mora County and San Miguel Counties) is because of the very frequent high winds. I was in "the flats" and it's just too much to try and get any work done outside. I once had to literally stay indoors for 4 days because of high winds. This was in 2019.

The other day my Google Photos app brought up a May 9, 2019 video I took wherein it was SNOWING in Mora County and the irrigation ditch next to the property was FULL of water.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:47 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
A thunderstorm brought rain to the Las Vegas area yesterday but not enough.

The Forest Service just announced the Santa Fe National Forest will be CLOSED starting this Wed., May 19. They are also closing other national forests in the state including the Sandia Ranger District on the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe