Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 07:02 AM

52 posts, read 67,147 times

Advertisements

Hi all, thanks in advance for any helpful recommendations.

I'm planning to visit Santa Fe for 4 weeks in the Spring of 2022. I'm in the process of scoping out AirB&B options. I don't know Santa Fe very well, but what I'm looking for is an area similar to West Sedona, which has several great hiking trails within easy walking distance and has more of a local feel, with low-key vibes, away from the touristy hotel zone.

Any Santa Fe neighborhoods or any good hiking/biking trails in the Santa Fe area that you recommend?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 11:57 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Cerro Gordo road has some hiking trails off of it, and is nice to walk around in general. It borders part of the National Forest, and is near the Audubon Center, as well (also a good hiking area). There's a Zen monastery tucked away off the main road, too. Very quiet area. One of the trails goes up to the reservoir, in a small nature preserve.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:21 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Four weeks is a long time to stay in one place. Depending on when in the spring, and what the winter was like, you may be dealing with some snow and mud on some of the hiking trails.

Hiking from the neighborhoods on the East Side of Santa Fe is pleasant but not very difficult. You can climb Atalaya Mtn., Monte Sol, and Picacho Peak, and hike the Dale Ball Trails (more popular for mountain bikers than hikers). For more of a challenge, you'll want to get up to the trailheads off Hyde Park Road on the way to the ski area. But again, snow and mud might interfere with hiking.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm now considering going to Tucson, AZ for four weeks instead.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:39 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Is that because of the possibility of snow? Depending on what month you go, it probably won't be an issue except in a few patches here and there. Unfortunately they're predicting a dry winter. But it can snow in Santa Fe as late as May. In winter and early spring I often go hiking on packed snow with regular hiking shoes, or if fresh snow, snowshoes. Mud is trickier.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:37 AM

I'm leaning towards Tucson, and the reasons are combination of budget, end of Winter time of year, and types of activities available at that time.

I have visited New Mexico several times (Taos, Santa Fe, Las Cruces), and I always enjoy it, especially the natural beauty. AirB&B's in Santa Fe are bit cheaper than those in Sedona, but are bit more expensive than AirB&B's in Tucson.

As a digital nomad, I'm looking at places to stay for 4 weeks in the mid-February to late March timeframe, and with a budget of $2,000/month or less.

One of my must haves for a location is easy access to hiking and biking trails. Based on my research, Tucson has some great biking trails right in town, and several good hiking trails close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe