Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 02:39 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,167 times

Advertisements

What is the euphemism cockroach or cucarachas referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 02:13 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,413 times
It's funny that people always mention places that aren't actually in Santa Fe when they list things to do. I think the OP meant there isn't a whole lot to do in SF itself besides the usual tourist attractions and eating out.

Not everyone wants to get in the car and drive an hour or more to do something.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:47 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
It's funny that people always mention places that aren't actually in Santa Fe when they list things to do. I think the OP meant there isn't a whole lot to do in SF itself besides the usual tourist attractions and eating out.

Not everyone wants to get in the car and drive an hour or more to do something.
I posted about things to do outside of Santa Fe, because in her OP, she said this:
Quote:
there's not much else nearby to visit.
. And later stated that she enjoys day trips to see other places, which was exactly what I was describing. I'm a bit curious, as to how Las Cruces would suit that particular interest of hers any better than Santa Fe. The potential day-trip destination options seem far less interesting; it seems a bit more isolated in that respect, but...whatever. She's happy there, so that's the important thing.

What there is IN Santa Fe, specifically, "to do" depends very much on each individual's interests. Art people obviously would find plenty to do. I find there are quite often interesting lectures (science, thanks to LA's public lecture program, culture/archaeology/history thanks to the School For Advanced Research, IAIA often has lectures, art exhibits and other events on campus, not to mention at their museum downtown, St. John's College has a public lecture program and a summer outdoor concert series, and classes open to the public to enroll in, and then there's Santa Fe Institute. There's a year-round calendar of film festivals with eclectic selections, free art fairs nearly year-round, over a half-dozen museums with ever-changing exhibits, community college events including an astronomy lecture program, and SF has a couple of very good Indie bookstores with frequent events.

For a medium-sized town, it has a ton to do, IMO, but...I guess that's just me?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-08-2020 at 08:59 AM..

Old 04-28-2021, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,261 times
Default HI I'm new moving maybe

Hi everyone, Seems like a friendly group here. I am seriously thinking of moving to New Mexico but where... it sounds like Santa Fe has changed and like redhead said it's all visitors coming and going. I did that someplace else and it was hard to build a community of friends.

Presently I live in Oregon and there is like one house for sale a week with 50 people bidding for it. Over Human population is soaring everywhere and leaving the housing situation bare. Renting is slimy and worse where I live. My one-bedroom place with a yard was $500 and they are raising it to $1800. before utilties.

I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest but lived 10 years in Guatemala and 5 years working in the Middle East. I speak Spanish and understand the Latin culture. I'll find that welcoming and fun.

I'm not sure what to ask so please don't judge me. I'm sure my questions will be more sophisticated as I learn more

Temperature climates and places with no water shortages are two things I'd like to learn about. I love water so wouldn't want to be deprived of it. I think people are basically the same everywhere - good, bad and crazy these days. haha. I don't want to be isolated. I like being around people especially those who are environmentally active and animal friendly.

I've been to El Paso and Las Cruces 12 years ago for work and loved them for visiting but probably wouldn't want to live there year-round.

. I don't know if the prices for housing are as insane as they are here.
love art, people, travel, my dog and my cat.

Would love to hear your favorite livable nonisolated places to settle down in NM. Price ranges for a decent 2 bedroom ie. clean, 1000 sq ft. good environment? Since I'm not sure which town please any suggestions would be great.
If I've confused anyone just throw out your favorite places to live I'd love to explore them

Old 05-07-2021, 01:54 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I grew up in Miami, FL...

The house my parents bought for $10,000 in Miami is now valued at "$151,345"....

Miami, FL has changed, Santa Fe has changed...

I could go on and on... But I won't.
My Dad bought our family home in Westwood Lakes which is a suburb of Miami,FL, in 1958 fir $14,000. After us 4 kids graduated HS and moved out he put in a #2 half-bath & an inground pool and our home was the place everyone in a 4 block radius came for block parties on every holiday. When he & Mom finally decided to 'get out of Dodge' in the middle 90s he joked he would sell for 10 times what he paid for the house AND because of Miami's drug trade he would only accept CASH in a duffle bag. We laughed at him the next 2 Christmas holidays as he began to put some finishing touches on the 3/1.5 house. In 1995 he sold our home for $239K and he got the cash in the suitcase to boot. I Googled our home last year and it now looks like a Cuban patio home with bars on the windows and a giant statue of the blessed Virgin in the front yard and was listed for $387K. Talk about mind boggling!
I'm very thankful to have grown up in Miami, FL with that vibe. I now seek retirement in a similar Community hopfully in a blue state, which allows recreational and or medicinal marijuana. I have been in Charlotte, NC x 35 yrs. It was an awsome place to raise a family. It is now Lil Miami of the 80s with the Mexican drug cartel 'new generation' running things drug related & sex traffic related due to its Interstates which connect Texas with Atlanta then Charlotte then NYC and Chicago. Stick a fork in me...I'm done.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:21 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlyna View Post
Hi everyone, Seems like a friendly group here. I am seriously thinking of moving to New Mexico but where... it sounds like Santa Fe has changed and like redhead said it's all visitors coming and going. I did that someplace else and it was hard to build a community of friends.

Presently I live in Oregon and there is like one house for sale a week with 50 people bidding for it. Over Human population is soaring everywhere and leaving the housing situation bare. Renting is slimy and worse where I live. My one-bedroom place with a yard was $500 and they are raising it to $1800. before utilties.

I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest but lived 10 years in Guatemala and 5 years working in the Middle East. I speak Spanish and understand the Latin culture. I'll find that welcoming and fun.

I'm not sure what to ask so please don't judge me. I'm sure my questions will be more sophisticated as I learn more

Temperature climates and places with no water shortages are two things I'd like to learn about. I love water so wouldn't want to be deprived of it. I think people are basically the same everywhere - good, bad and crazy these days. haha. I don't want to be isolated. I like being around people especially those who are environmentally active and animal friendly.

I've been to El Paso and Las Cruces 12 years ago for work and loved them for visiting but probably wouldn't want to live there year-round.

. I don't know if the prices for housing are as insane as they are here.
love art, people, travel, my dog and my cat.

Would love to hear your favorite livable nonisolated places to settle down in NM. Price ranges for a decent 2 bedroom ie. clean, 1000 sq ft. good environment? Since I'm not sure which town please any suggestions would be great.
If I've confused anyone just throw out your favorite places to live I'd love to explore them
Define "non-isolated".

If you're concerned about water shortages, why are you considering New Mexico at all? Taos seems to have a more plentiful water supply per size of population than most other places, and is greener, and rents and RE prices are cheaper to the south of town, in Ranchos de Taos. You can check price ranges online. If you want cheaper than that, you'll have to look at someplace like Espanola, in-between Santa Fe and Taos.

You didn't mention what kind of amenities you're looking for: culture? Local college or university? You don't need a local job?

But if you don't want to be deprived of water, as in--bodies of water, NM really isn't for you. It's a desert. The nearest ocean is about a 16-hr. drive away. Well, the Gulf of Mexico might be closer, IDK. Lakes are rare, and you're not allowed to swim or wade in some of them, because they're reservoirs. There are waterfalls here and there, if you know where to look, that people visit on hot days. There are hot springs here and there.

Spanish comes in handy when speaking to local immigrants from the south. The local families that are descendants of the people who settled the area and established the cities don't appreciate being spoken to as if they're non-citizens, just a heads-up. In fact, many of the ones 40 and under don't speak Spanish very well anyway.

People here may have other suggestions--I can imagine a few that do come up regularly, but I don't know if they'd fit your definition of "non-isolated", whatever it is.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:02 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,782 times
there is nowhere anyone can afford to live except Lordsburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe