Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I like many restaurants in Santa Fe.

I have never been to any of the expensive ones.

My favorites ~ all affordable ~ are:

La Choza.....
I was going through some of my cookbooks, and ran across an old one from 1988...The Pink Adobe Cookbook.

The original owner is dead by now, but I wondered if the restaurant were still in Santa Fe, run by family..? The original location was opened in 1944 in the Barrio de Analco, across the street from the San Miguel mission.

There are quite a few interesting recipes in the book, and this restaurant was apparently very well known at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Oh yeah, the Pink Adobe is still there. It's a Santa Fe institution, probably one of the most famous and popular restaurants in Santa Fe.

I personally didn't care for it the one time we went there some years ago. I didn't care for their menu - no enchiladas with green chile. I got something with red chile and I am not a huge red chile fan. The waitress was unbelievably snooty and we were paying A LOT to eat there for my husband's birthday.

There are so many fine restaurants in Santa Fe, I just probably would never go back there.

Rio Chama, where we went last week, is right next door to the Pink Adobe and is awesome. And I know the Governor eats there because we saw him. The service and atmosphere there and the menu were all fabulous.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM

The waitress was unbelievably snooty and we were paying A LOT to eat there for my husband's birthday.

Ugh. One of those....I will remember that, thanks!!

It surprises me that there are no green chile enchiladas, since so many of the recipes in the book contain green chile!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM

John's cousin's wife ordered a combination plate. She asked the waitress where the "Santa Fe taco" was. The waitress pointed to this fried tortilla BOWL filled with taco ingredients. Barbie said "I have never seen a taco that looks like that!" and the waitress sniffed and said, "Well you are obviously unfamiliar with the kind of tacos we have in Santa Fe."

Barbie sniffed right back and said "I was born here, madame, and I have lived here almost my whole life and I have eaten hundreds of "Santa Fe tacos" -- this ISN'T one."

We think Barbie won that argument .... and we have laughed about the "Santa Fe tacos" for years now.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Check out their menu:

The Pink Adobe.

Not a lot of traditional New Mexican cuisine on the menu...and a limited number of dishes with green chile.

There is one enchilada dish -- with lobster, crab and shrimp and no chile. And it costs $30.00!!!!

I see on the lunch menu they do have green chile stew...but not for dinner.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 AM

345 posts, read 466,682 times
At the end of one of my Santa Fe visits I was about to get back on the road and head home, but I was really hungry after picking up some supplies at the Trader Joe's out near West Cordova. I wandered in to a place I saw across from Trader Joes called Maria's. When I walked in ten minutes before opening there were eight people waiting for them to open their inside door to the dining area. The people in line were locals from what I gathered, and once inside I ordered the combination plate (after overhearing a person in line saying they liked it) which was really a lot of food. Maria's couldn't be called "gourmet" Mexican or a destination tourist place, but the food was damn good and reasonably priced - a lucky find. As you might guess, I wasn't hungry again till I got back to Arizona.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:12 AM

I have been eating at Maria's for years - I think it was the first restaurant I ever ate at in Santa Fe. We were just there several weeks ago to celebrate our anniversary.

They are just about the best! And yes, I do think locals may eat there more than tourists (it is a little out of the way for people who stick to downtown.)

I think they have the best green chile stew I have had in Santa Fe. And they certainly have the BIGGEST margarita in town. Their margs are quite strong.

Yum. I love Maria's.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Check out their menu:

The Pink Adobe.

Not a lot of traditional New Mexican cuisine on the menu...and a limited number of dishes with green chile.

There is one enchilada dish -- with lobster, crab and shrimp and no chile. And it costs $30.00!!!!

I see on the lunch menu they do have green chile stew...but not for dinner.
Thanks for the link....it looks very much like a Continental restaurant with Santa Fe/NM touches here and there. Recipes for some of the menu items are included in the old cookbook.

I noticed that they have beignets (sp??) on the brunch menu! Given that she grew up in NO (hence some of the recipes), it's most likely close to the genuine article. I love those things, and used to get them at Cafe du Monde in NO when I was working south of Jackson, MS.

You'd never get me back in that nasty hole, even for beignets. So....I'd go for those alone....and I bet chicory coffee is served with them, which is what I drink most mornings!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Default Marias

Quote:
I have been eating at Maria's for years - I think it was the first restaurant I ever ate at in Santa Fe. We were just there several weeks ago to celebrate our anniversary.

They are just about the best! And yes, I do think locals may eat there more than tourists (it is a little out of the way for people who stick to downtown.)

I think they have the best green chile stew I have had in Santa Fe. And they certainly have the BIGGEST margarita in town. Their margs are quite strong.

Yum. I love Maria's.
I AGREE! Yum. It is on the top of my list. I was thinking I need to get back there soon. Maybe as my reward when I get moved out and the old house cleaned. Afterall, the dishes are all packed and I have to eat somewhere.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

I noticed that they have beignets (sp??) on the brunch menu! Given that she grew up in NO (hence some of the recipes), it's most likely close to the genuine article.
I'm sure all of the food at the Pink Adobe is considered very genuine.

My objection to the place is that it seems to me that any restaurant that enjoys the reputation as one of the "Santa Fe Traditions since 1944", and attracts so many tourists who have heard about it, should proudly offer the best of New Mexican cuisine on the menu along with the other dishes.

Just my own personal opinion.

P.S. I make my beignets at home. I bet I could compete with Cafe Du Monde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe