Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,521 times

Advertisements

The southbay definitely gets less rain than farther north points in the bay area. It is actually significantly less rainy than SF and Berkeley. Also you can get fog that pervades all the way to Alamo, I've seen this with my own eyes. Then go down to the southbay and the sun can be shining. But I agree with mysticaltyger, it won't be by a large margin, but I think it is noticeably better in the south bay.

You also have to remember that like the rest of CA, the Bay Area has wild fluctuations in year to year precipitation. We've seen LA pelted a few years ago with over 30inches of rain, but its average rainfall total is ~10-15in per year. Same thing happens in the Bay. Seems like this year was a bit wetter, and most of it happened in Jan-Feb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
I would say that here in Santa Cruz and Capitola, the weather has to be pretty nearly the best in the world. It never gets too cold or too hot. No snow and lots of warm sunny days even through the winter months. Flowers are in bloom all year long.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
The southbay definitely gets less rain than farther north points in the bay area. It is actually significantly less rainy than SF and Berkeley. Also you can get fog that pervades all the way to Alamo, I've seen this with my own eyes. Then go down to the southbay and the sun can be shining. But I agree with mysticaltyger, it won't be by a large margin, but I think it is noticeably better in the south bay.

You also have to remember that like the rest of CA, the Bay Area has wild fluctuations in year to year precipitation. We've seen LA pelted a few years ago with over 30inches of rain, but its average rainfall total is ~10-15in per year. Same thing happens in the Bay. Seems like this year was a bit wetter, and most of it happened in Jan-Feb.
Just a clarification, the South Bay gets a LOT more sun in summer than the coast. It's only in winter that the pattern is reversed, and it's only by a small margin, so it's not that noticeable.

The summer sun makes a difference in the average annual sunshine percentages.

San Francisco (on the sunny side of town) 66% of possible amount.
San Jose 72%.

Most of that difference comes because of the much sunnier summers in the South Bay.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:05 AM

291 posts, read 957,848 times
How about the area along 680 from Dublin to Pleasant Hill?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
How about the area along 680 from Dublin to Pleasant Hill?
It is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than the rest of the Core Bay Area (cities along the water).

Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,843 times
This week it rained a bit 3 days in a row, and the TV weatherperson said "March certainly is going out like a lion!"

That by itself should tell you everything you need to know about the local climate.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
This week it rained a bit 3 days in a row, and the TV weatherperson said "March certainly is going out like a lion!"

That by itself should tell you everything you need to know about the local climate.

Yes, you are totally right about that.That is so true and funny. If they only knew.............

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
It is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than the rest of the Core Bay Area (cities along the water).
Definitely true, although you should note that the difference in summer temperatures is much greater than the difference in winter temperatures. The entire Bay Area ranges between about 54 to 60 degrees for winter high temps (from the North to South Bay), with the 680 corridor probably right around 55F. However, in the summer, the Bay Area ranges from about 65 to 92 degrees between coast and inland, with the 680 corridor around 88-90 degrees. So you'll notice a much more significant difference in summer, and overall, warmer temps most of the year, along the 680 corridor.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Smile sad-resistant Bay Area

Hi, I experience cloudy, rainy or foggy weather the same as Fair weather cumulus & would like to move closer to my son and his wife in Pacifica. Many years ago I spent one year in Mt View and Santa Clara. That was great although I remember the fall having a cold damp wind sometimes. Is there any community that occasionally gets a nice dry Santa Ana type wind? Living in So Cal the last 30+ years I know I'd miss how happy and energized I feel. Please, anyone, It's not temperature but the sun and dry air I need. Not to be found in Pacifica. Is there such a Bay Area city. Santa Rosa, perhaps?

Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
Not Santa Rosa -- it does get that sometimes, but it also gets a lot of coastal influence. If dryness is what you're after, I'd focus on Livermore/Pleasanton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose