Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 10:29 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You’ve taken it out-of-context. Even so, if you have a problem with my opinion (in response to this thread), that (‘thin skin’) is on you; it isn’t anything New Yorkers haven’t heard before.

Are you offended I would ask ‘why stick around’? It’s a logical question based on your numerous anti-SF/Bay Area posts (in other threads).
How is it taken out of context? I don't have a "problem", I don't care enough to. I was simply pointing out the irony of your responses in how they were being thin skinned in itself.

No offended at all, sounds like you're projecting. I actually find that type of response rather amusing especially in the context of this thread. It's not a relevant question to the topic at all and sounds more like a personal problem you have with my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 11:27 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How is it taken out of context? I don't have a "problem", I don't care enough to. I was simply pointing out the irony of your responses in how they were being thin skinned in itself.
That I disagree with you re: SF (and the thread) does not mean I or other San Franciscans are thin-skinned. Point-being, I don’t like perpetually angry or unfriendly folks no matter the city they live, lol; there are plenty of them here as well.

Relative to the thread, any city (or life, in general) is what you make of it; bottom line, we choose our friends and personal relationships. It’s not as if you are forced to socialize with folks you consider to be soft, closed-minded or thin-skinned; likewise, I choose not to associate with constantly angry/unfriendly folks here (and everywhere).

Old 03-21-2024, 11:45 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
That I disagree with you re: SF (and the thread) does not mean I or other San Franciscans are thin-skinned. Point-being, I don’t like perpetually angry or unfriendly folks no matter the city they live, lol; there are plenty of them here as well.

Relative to the thread, any city (or life, in general) is what you make of it; bottom line, we choose our friends and personal relationships. It’s not as if you are forced to socialize with folks you consider to be soft, closed-minded or thin-skinned; likewise, I choose not to associate with constantly angry/unfriendly folks here (and everywhere).
Again I was referring to your opinion of New Yorkers, not SF. I personally don't find them unfriendly or rude, actually quite willing help and easy to talk to but just very direct with less pleasantries.

Never suggested otherwise.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Again I was referring to your opinion of New Yorkers, not SF. I personally don't find them unfriendly or rude, actually quite willing help and easy to talk to but just very direct with less pleasantries.
There are rude, angry or unfriendly folks in both cities - ‘soft’ as well, lol. It’s a no-brainer there are more of the former in NYC considering it has roughly ten times the population of SF (and they’re packed in tighter); it’s a completely different vibe/lifestyle, although I like it as well.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:47 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't think it's about being thin skinned necessarily, but more so close-minded. Something you don't get much of here is a mixture of opposing ideas and views in San Francisco. Whereas in Houston, Miami, etc you interact with confident conservatives and liberals on a daily basis. You don't have to be afraid to say I support Biden or I support Trump. In San Francisco, you need to support Biden or keep your mouth shut unless you want problems. Similar to if you lived in Midland, TX... you could argue the same thing regarding people being close-minded, but on the opposite extreme.
This is what it really is.

Its not specific to the Bay Area. The more your city or region is an echo chamber of ideas that go unchallenged, the more "thin-skinned" it is. Its because people are not used to hearing different ideas. They know that all the people around them think just like they do. This also means that people live and die by theories and convince themselves that others who don't think like them are evil.

And absolutely uniformly conservative areas are just as bad. Im liberal and I worked in Amarillo for a few weeks coming home to Houston on the weekends. While I enjoyed my time and the people there, you just didnt dare present opposing political views. Its like a switch that flips and people get emotional and defensive just like that. Places like the Bay and Portland have that issue too.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:52 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
The San Francisco air leaves your skin soft and silky.

Old 03-22-2024, 11:30 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
The San Francisco air leaves your skin soft and silky.

Yes, and the city is filled with gentle people, with flowers in their hair. You might even find a love-in there.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

Yes, and the city is filled with gentle people, with flowers in their hair. You might even find a love-in there.
Those aren't flowers. It's marijuana.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
SF has many good things going for it. But the way things close down so early completely drives me nuts.
Maybe it’s because I recently turned 50, but I don’t have a problem with bars and clubs closing by 2 AM, or shortly thereafter, in all of California. Heh, it doesn’t seem that early to me anymore. ;-)

That said, there is yet another iteration of new law under consideration relative to the ‘Let Our Communities Adjust Act’.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland