Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 12:52 AM

33,326 posts, read 12,498,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I like Folsom much more than I like Rocklin. Folsom schools are very good and you have SMUD for electricity unlike Rocklin which has PG&E
I didn't know that.

I don't know if it would be a dealbreaker, but I would see it as a consideration. I really dislike PG&E. SMUD is preferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 07:54 AM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I didn't know that.

I don't know if it would be a dealbreaker, but I would see it as a consideration. I really dislike PG&E. SMUD is preferable.
That makes a huge difference. After moving to the Sacramento area, my brother picked up and moved his whole family a second time,when he found out SMUD is much cheaper than PG&E. He said the savings on the electricity bill made it worth paying for the second move.

Old 04-14-2024, 11:36 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Be aware that Sacramento has earthen levees... ...Apparently, at least some of them are being upgraded...

https://www.spk.usace.army.mil/Missi...evee-Upgrades/

Reducing flood risk in Sacramento

Greater Sacramento, California, is often considered to be the most at-risk region in America for catastrophic flooding, relying on an aging system of levees, weirs and bypasses and Folsom Dam to reduce its flood risk. But that system, just like a chain, is only as strong as its weakest link. Together, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, California’s Central Valley Flood Protection Board, California Department of Water Resources, and the Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency have made tremendous progress in reducing the flood risk, but more work remains. Through the Bipartisan Budget Act, the Corps has received full upfront funding to modernize Sacramento's aging flood infrastructure. This allows us to more efficiently implement nearly $1.8 billion in upgrades to Sacramento's flood risk management system. The authorized work includes up to: 13 miles of seepage cutoff walls, 21 miles of bank protection, 5 miles of levee stabilization, 5 miles of levee raises and widening the Sacramento Weir and bypass

Old 04-14-2024, 03:50 PM

7,248 posts, read 3,781,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I have a friend who lives up in Folsom and I like that area. It's a lot of new development with nice housing stock, good schools and shopping/dining options (as you said). It does get a bit hotter there than here in the Bay Area, but at least there's no humidity. I still think the job market in Sac area is somewhat limited, but if you can swing a remote work option or at least hybrid, it might be a possibility.
The first time I went to Folsom (30 years ago) I thought to myself, "Shoot, why am I living in the Bay Area?" It's such a cool town. I really like it.

There were not a lot of tech jobs up there back then, but there are now (not that I care being retired.)

That entire area is growing. Hell, Rocklin, Lincoln and Roseville are morphing into one big city.

Old 04-14-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Be aware that Sacramento has earthen levees... ...Apparently, at least some of them are being upgraded...

https://www.spk.usace.army.mil/Missi...evee-Upgrades/

Reducing flood risk in Sacramento

Greater Sacramento, California, is often considered to be the most at-risk region in America for catastrophic flooding, relying on an aging system of levees, weirs and bypasses and Folsom Dam to reduce its flood risk. But that system, just like a chain, is only as strong as its weakest link. Together, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, California’s Central Valley Flood Protection Board, California Department of Water Resources, and the Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency have made tremendous progress in reducing the flood risk, but more work remains. Through the Bipartisan Budget Act, the Corps has received full upfront funding to modernize Sacramento's aging flood infrastructure. This allows us to more efficiently implement nearly $1.8 billion in upgrades to Sacramento's flood risk management system. The authorized work includes up to: 13 miles of seepage cutoff walls, 21 miles of bank protection, 5 miles of levee stabilization, 5 miles of levee raises and widening the Sacramento Weir and bypass
My wife's cousin's house in Carmichael was flooded last year when the American River overflowed its banks during the heavy rains. Their house is about 200 feet north of the riverbank (no levee there.) It caused quite a mess.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:57 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
My wife's cousin's house in Carmichael was flooded last year when the American River overflowed its banks during the heavy rains. Their house is about 200 feet north of the riverbank (no levee there.) It caused quite a mess.
Yes, I realize the levees are not the only issue. Obviously think twice about locating yourself near a river... But, there are the not so obvious things like an upstream dam, etc., etc.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
I went to graduate school at Sacramento State in the 70s. I drove there for classes from the Bay Area one day only to find that it was closed for the day due to flooding, the parking lot was under a foot of water from the river.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I went to graduate school at Sacramento State in the 70s. I drove there for classes from the Bay Area one day only to find that it was closed for the day due to flooding, the parking lot was under a foot of water from the river.
That's a hell of a commute. I hope it wasn't daily.

We had floods like that in Contra Costa in the early 1980s. I remember downtown Martinez was under 2 feet of water and business owners were trying to keep the water out with sandbags.

There hasn't been that level of flooding in Contra Costa in 30 years. The youngins' haven't experienced it yet.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:49 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I didn't know that.

Another thing. A large percentage of Rocklin homes are burdened with Mello Roos and not all of them have an expiration date. Newer Folsom homes have Mello Roos, but those built before the early 90's don't. Also, Folsom has a very good pro-active police department, and it feels more like a community than Rocklin.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:44 AM

33,326 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
That's a hell of a commute. I hope it wasn't daily.

We had floods like that in Contra Costa in the early 1980s. I remember downtown Martinez was under 2 feet of water and business owners were trying to keep the water out with sandbags.

There hasn't been that level of flooding in Contra Costa in 30 years. The youngins' haven't experienced it yet.
A younger friend of mine did that in the early 90s, and she worked in the Bay Area as well. One term, she had an internship in Sac. as well. Fortunately, she knew her paid job in the Bay Area like the back of her hand, and the owner trusted her implicitly (she could almost be on 'auto pilot').
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland