Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 10:31 AM

7,239 posts, read 3,776,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've now lived in Concord for 6 months. We're retired. A few thoughts;

-The weather is very mild. I'll admit that I don't miss the cold and wind of Colorado.

-People here have back yard furniture. They spend a lot of time outdoors on their patios. I do like that.

-The traffic is much less than I expected. If I wait until about 9 AM, a drive down Clayton Rd is a breeze. However, I tend to avoid the weekends because that's when the "workies" must buy their supplies. Another tactic is to go early. At 7 AM, the line to get gas at Costco is very short.

-The cost of housing is insane. As a result, there are many homes here where there are 3 generations living together. It's not possible for young people to buy a house without getting big financial support from their families.

-As a result of high housing costs, everything is more expensive. For example, a sandwich is $12 instead of $8 back in Colorado. Businesses here have higher overhead costs and must pay higher wages. I've learned to use Amazon and Costco to mitigate the higher costs.

-I've discovered new allergies. I think it's tree pollen.

-My grandkids are amazing. It's a joyful time playing with them.

-Bottom line: I think the benefits exceed the costs. In the end, the only thing you have left is your family.
The general rule of Contra Costa is if you don't have allergies when you get there, you will after three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland