Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 09:16 AM

2,894 posts, read 1,996,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
With SDGE prices you definitely want a wood burning fireplace

The wind and humidity of the coast feels colder to me than dry below freezing temps.
Humidity doesn't make you feel worse. It's virtually neglible. The issue with humid cold is that it seeps through clothes easier, so you have to switch your wardrobe. Drop the light sweater and wear a proper jacket. Wind makes a huge difference, however. But not every place on the coast is super windy(check out long beach area)
And some might say dealing with coastal winters is a price worth paying to get perfect summers. Js.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 10:03 AM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Humidity doesn't make you feel worse. It's virtually neglible. The issue with humid cold is that it seeps through clothes easier, so you have to switch your wardrobe. Drop the light sweater and wear a proper jacket. Wind makes a huge difference, however. But not every place on the coast is super windy(check out long beach area)
And some might say dealing with coastal winters is a price worth paying to get perfect summers. Js.
Regarding how it feels, I can only speak to my experience. Yes indeed, humid cold with wind requires a proper jacket/clothes. And that's exactly my point. A dry 25F with no wind IS sweater weather for me, find it quite pleasant and enjoyable. Whereas 40F with wind (even a light steady wind) and I'm bundling up.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:05 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
What I mean by boring is the lack of variation in the weather, i.e. no real seasons. Cold can be unpleasant but it can also be invigorating and knocks you out of your comfort zone. You have to live here for a while to get to that point though.

Think "The Truman Show" of climate.
I dunno, we live in inland parts of Scripps Ranch, and there's a huge difference between winter and summer. Summer tends to be sunny and in the '80s, sometimes hotter, with occasionally warm nights. Winter has a mix of sun, clouds, rain, and we even seem to get brief hail a few times every winter where we are. And the nights tend to be in the 30s and 40s, days in the '50s and 60s, sometimes warmer. While I think that's a wonderful range and very mild year-round, it's hardly the same everyday all year. Maybe it would seem different moving here from another state, but for those of us who grew up in california, we notice the smaller subtleties more

Old 01-20-2024, 10:23 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,176,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Having lived in the Great Lakes most of my life, once retired I wanted no more winters...Dawned on me recently (too late) how ideal the climate of San Diego is....2 friends from HS...have lived in SD all their adult life - geez, I can imagine why....
haha - yup; grew up in Michigan - then the parents moved to So. Cal just as I was starting High School. While attending UCSD, I quickly figured out that San Diego is where I wanted to spend my adult years, and did whatever it took to make that happen. For both quality-of-life and financial reasons, I'm glad young adult me followed through and actually did that.

Old 01-20-2024, 03:06 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,144,384 times
Quote:
What I mean by boring is the lack of variation in the weather, i.e. no real seasons. Cold can be unpleasant but it can also be invigorating and knocks you out of your comfort zone. You have to live here for a while to get to that point though.

Think "The Truman Show" of climate.
It's in the teens today in New England.

When does the invigoration start?

Old 01-20-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
It's "perfect" maybe in the temperature, but the idea that it is consistently sunny here is wildly inaccurate*, which is why I cringe at "sunshine tax" (people typically don't use this expression in other parts of southern CA that have identical weather and are also expensive).

It does get boring, which is why almost all of my vacations are to cold weather cities or the PNW.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...t-anytime-soon
SD averages about 3,000 sunshine hours per year. Well above the national average. Of course we know it's not ALWAYS sunny, but it's still sunnier than most places.

Old 01-20-2024, 03:12 PM

San Diego people complaining about marine layers and having to actually turn on the AC and 40 degree overnight temperatures are like billionaires complaining about the estate tax. Like I said, humans generally aren't happy until they're unhappy.

Old 01-20-2024, 04:02 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,689,857 times
The estate tax is BS.

Old 01-20-2024, 04:25 PM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
San Diego people complaining about marine layers and having to actually turn on the AC and 40 degree overnight temperatures are like billionaires complaining about the estate tax. Like I said, humans generally aren't happy until they're unhappy.
It's known as Hedonic Adaptation - the tendency for humans to relatively quickly revert to their normal happiness set-point after life changes. A billion dollar windfall will make one happy for a month or two before it fades. Moving to a climate that you prefer will increase your happiness... for a little while. It won't magically bring lasting happiness. If someone is generally unhappy, moving to San Diego (or anywhere) isn't going to change this.

I saw this first-hand growing up in CA. Folks would move from the Midwest and initially be on cloud nine, especially the first winter. Yet they'd quickly adapt to the new normal and then other worries would fill their life like traffic, and the cost of housing and childcare. I see the same thing here in Boise, especially among unhappy conservatives that think it's going to be their Shangri-La.

Here's the kicker, though: It works in the negative direction as well. Moving to a less comfortable climate may make some people less happy for a little while, but most will adapt and then reset to their normal.

There are caveats of course. Don't move to Seattle if prone to SAD, and probably not a good idea to move to the sunbelt if your skin is very easily burned/damaged or you have a family history of skin cancer. A long commute has been shown time and time again to have a lasting negative affect on happiness, due to stress and how much time it takes away from meaningful activities.

And this all assumes basic needs are satisfied: food, housing, physical security, community, etc. Someone really struggling with housing insecurity in a HCOL area will likely greatly improve their long-term happiness if they relocate and this addresses the housing issue, even if the climate isn't as nice. Stable housing, lower stress, shorter commute, more time to have connection with loved ones - these are way more predictive of happiness than climate. The great thing is, you can find these things in most areas across the US.

Old 01-20-2024, 04:45 PM

2,894 posts, read 1,996,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Regarding how it feels, I can only speak to my experience. Yes indeed, humid cold with wind requires a proper jacket/clothes. And that's exactly my point. A dry 25F with no wind IS sweater weather for me, find it quite pleasant and enjoyable. Whereas 40F with wind (even a light steady wind) and I'm bundling up.

Im sure you only use sweaters some days, but that sounds like best case scenario to me. Tons of sun, 0 wind, maybe some snow on the ground to help reflect the sun. Thats a best case scenario. Reality is that idaho/utah get plenty of cloud cover during the colder months and people layer up/ big jacket up for months on end. I bet i can fly to boise in early march and people will still be layering up. Okay, let me ask you this. Today seems like a decent day in boise, so everyones gonna be wearing just a hoody with normal pants, right. Nobody is gonna be wearing layers and those puffy jackets? Boise started off in the low 30s today and is in the low 40s right now. But it will get cold quick cause its at 3k elevation and far north. Let me know what youre seeing up there. Ill be able verify it by asking other locals or just visiting myself.

From a few days ago. I know it was below average.
Looks like northern utah

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 01-20-2024 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego