Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 06:43 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times

Advertisements

Seems kinda excessive just for one 17-gate terminal. I know there are other aspects the general public won’t “see”, but I’m thinking this terminal better be on par with the top 10 airports in the world. Am I missing something here (I am no expert in these kinda projects and $$ involved)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 09:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
The City's website lists the following as the scope of work:

-17-gate concourse and apron with a new Federal Inspection Service area
-Expansion of elevated roadway
-Central utility plant enhancements
-Multi-story ground transportation center, including additional parking
-North ramp parking for aircraft remaining overnight.
-Related demolition/preparation site work
-Improvements to utilities

Currently, Terminal A (opened in 1984) has 17 gates, 4 of which have access to the Federal Inspection Station. Terminal B (opened in 2010) has 10 gates, none of which can access the Federal Inspection Station. Terminal A recently expanded by one gate, and Terminal B added two more, in an effort to expand capacity, in the interim.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:36 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Seems kinda excessive just for one 17-gate terminal. I know there are other aspects the general public won’t “see”, but I’m thinking this terminal better be on par with the top 10 airports in the world. Am I missing something here (I am no expert in these kinda projects and $$ involved)?
A world-class airport costs world-class money. $1.4b is nothing in comparison to the largest and best airports in the world.

Doha was $15b+

Singapore was $2b when constructed back in 2014.

Mumbai at $2.3b

San Diego Upgrade/Update at $2.6b

Beijing at $17b

The list goes on and on.

My concern is that they don't yet have the full funding for this airport and haven't yet proposed the plan as to how they'll pay for all of it, including the overages (which are likely).

SAT needs updating as it's a podunk facility. I'm all for these new plans, but this wouldn't be the first time they've made big promises for new airport terminals that never see the light of day. If they're going to do this, they need to get it right the first time. It's nice to see city council smarten up and find out-of-city contractors who know how to handle these very specialized projects.

And for the record, the whole project is projected to cost about $2.5b... That's including the very large 800,000+ sq ft new terminal.

Last edited by RadiantBaby; 12-14-2023 at 07:45 PM..

Old 12-16-2023, 03:33 PM

689 posts, read 637,966 times
Hopefully they can use that capacity to get more travel to Europe. The seasonal Condor flight is a good step, but it will hopefully be better someday.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Top 10 airports in the world? 1.7B doesn’t even equate to a top 20 airport in the US

Old 12-17-2023, 08:11 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Top 10 airports in the world? 1.7B doesn’t even equate to a top 20 airport in the US
OK...geez.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:54 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It would rank in the top 10. Portland just got a new main terminal at 1.5 billion and Pittsburg at 1.4 billion. LAX has such a larger investment it takes the 4 of the top 10 spots in 2023 totaling 30 billion.

SAT is a mid sized airport and we don't need nor have room for a massive new airport. Until Austin and San Antonio can get together and create a large airport to serve the region it will not happen. (And was already know this will never happen)

Old 12-18-2023, 08:16 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
It would rank in the top 10. Portland just got a new main terminal at 1.5 billion and Pittsburg at 1.4 billion. LAX has such a larger investment it takes the 4 of the top 10 spots in 2023 totaling 30 billion.

SAT is a mid sized airport and we don't need nor have room for a massive new airport. Until Austin and San Antonio can get together and create a large airport to serve the region it will not happen. (And was already know this will never happen)
It would be nice if we had an airport shared with Austin. Much like Seatac (Seattle-Tacoma).

Old 12-18-2023, 10:22 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:

No. It would not rank top 10. You don’t have to look past this state to see grander expansions going on IAH’s new terminal’s price tag is $2 billion. And that’s just one of a few they have going on. DFW’s terminal F project is also higher than $1.7 billion.

The price tag in for the terminal San Antonio isn’t top 10 in the US let alone the world

Old 12-19-2023, 06:02 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:

I realize that building an airport is a complex project….political considerations, financial considerations, etc. But from the 30,000 foot level, it seems that building an airport between SA and Austin might be pretty sensible, and could benefit both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio