Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 03:48 PM

139 posts, read 252,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omo33 View Post
You are me to a ‘T’.

SLC does not have much to offer except outdoors (biking, hiking, camping, snow sports). It’s changing very slowly so maybe in 20 years? Utah people are very VERY slow to change. SLC is a low key run down city surrounded by fantastic natural views. A lot of money goes towards churches and temples, not the city. This a lot of it is worn down, needs fixing, no green space investment etc. Yes politics are run by the religion. And it is not all that affordable unless you for some otherworldly, and inaccurately somehow find a reason to compare to SF, NYC, SEA. Yes the religion will affect you from dating, to social life, to employment, literally everything. What people never seem to understand is that it is an ‘all encompassing’ religion - meaning it covers all faucets of life, thus that is where people spend their money, their social time, dating, events, their entire and sole existence.

And so you mention dating. Aside from normally elongating the sex and age group you’re not into, you need to again cut that in half for the religious people who do not date outside their religion. Yes dating and being social will be very very hard. In the off chance someone is not Mormon, they’re almost always going to have a large family. There is no grabbing a beer with a few guys from work Friday night for example.

If employment isn’t a factor for locating, or your life doesn’t revolve around lone wolf hiking and biking, I’d choose somewhere else.

Feel free to ask me anything. I was born here in the 80s, lived here in the early and late 90s, and live here now. I am very well versed in this city and it’s changes through time. I have also lived in 13 other states in between so unlike a lot of Utahns I know what is ‘outside the bubble’, excluding missionary work which doesn’t count in the least, obviously.
What are you talking about not having a beer with coworkers after work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 08:48 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyLF View Post
What are you talking about not having a beer with coworkers after work?
I suspect that sort of thing is far less common in Salt Lake City than say Boston or Chicago. There are places in the country where its common to stop at a bar for "Happy Hour" before heading home. Not saying that is a good thing. Alcohol and driving are a bad mix.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:53 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Interesting comment - can you elaborate a little of this?

I am very conservative, but not at all religious. I have ruled out Utah for relocation for decades because of the "Mormon thing", but am reconsidering now as a senior since so many options throughout the West have moved out of reach economically. What catches my eye in Utah is that, for whatever reason, there appears these days to be many more affordable housing options for seniors than in most other Western areas.

Where religion is concerned, all I care about is not being preached to or harassed in any way about religion. I want to live free of evangelism and to be able to count on being able to engage in casual conversation without it coming up....not often, anyway. That said, the Mormons I have known are some of the nicest people I've ever met. That aspect, of course, I welcome.

So I'd like to hear more about the southern suburbs and your take on whether I've been making too much of the degree of evangelism encountered.
I just moved here to the SLC metro from California and it seems like "California lite" to me--for better and for worse.

Housing costs have skyrocketed, so I think the idea of it being affordable is out of date. Unlike California, however, they are more willing to build housing here without throwing up ever more red tape that makes it expensive or impossible to build. But cheap, it is not.

I haven't experienced any evangelism where I am. I think the fear of that is way overblown.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:31 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I haven't experienced any evangelism where I am. I think the fear of that is way overblown.
The whole idea of the missionary programme of the LDS church is to present the gospel message to as many people as possible.

This means that sooner or later, people will get contacted and all you have to do is politely decline to listen to them. If the missionaries do the right thing, they will note that you are not interested and will leave you alone from then on.

They are however not forever in the same area so when a new set of Elders or Sisters, start to work in the area you live in, they may not have been told about your situation and then you will see them once. Again, politely decline.

It is not that every week the missionaries get rotated so the chance to get contacted after the first time is rare.

As the previous poster mentioned, the fear is way overblown!

Old 07-04-2022, 07:39 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
The whole idea of the missionary programme of the LDS church is to present the gospel message to as many people as possible.

This means that sooner or later, people will get contacted and all you have to do is politely decline to listen to them. If the missionaries do the right thing, they will note that you are not interested and will leave you alone from then on.

They are however not forever in the same area so when a new set of Elders or Sisters, start to work in the area you live in, they may not have been told about your situation and then you will see them once. Again, politely decline.

It is not that every week the missionaries get rotated so the chance to get contacted after the first time is rare.

As the previous poster mentioned, the fear is way overblown!
Very overblown. And even the sooner or later part may be overblown. I've been here here 6 years and nobody ever called. All I get is door to door pest control and lawn care guys. Ditto my transplant neighbors who have been here 8 years. I've come to believe that they ignore certain neighborhoods but who knows.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:32 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I've come to believe that they ignore certain neighborhoods but who knows.
Have you ever seen any missionaries in your neighbourhood?

If not, may you live in one of those neighbourhoods missionaries seem to stay away from...
I live very close to one of those streets that are one ward house after another on the same street for miles.

I never see any missionaries come thru my street...

Old 07-14-2022, 10:22 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,287 times
How often is the air quality bad in Salt Lake City? Is the air quality also poor in Utah county?
Thank you

Old 07-15-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
How often is the air quality bad in Salt Lake City? Is the air quality also poor in Utah county?
Thank you
SLC and Utah county are about the same as far as air quality goes. Both and west of the Wasatch a=nd east of the Orriqh (sp ?) ranges and in a bowl. In winter inversions occur regularly. Seach here, the topic has been beaten to death.

Less frequently mentioned are dust events. Strong winds often blow towards the east picking up dust from the deserts and salt flats to the west. This doesn't do anybody any good and makes a mess on your car, house, etc. If the salt lake is allowed to dry up, which looks highly probable given the lack of serious effort to prevent it, such dust events will become toxic from scouring of the lake bed. The lake bed contains arsenic, lead and other toxic materials from the mining days. The science here is well established and has been documented many times when endorheic lakes dry up.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:08 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,287 times
How many more years until the lake drys up? 10-20?

Thank you for responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
SLC and Utah county are about the same as far as air quality goes. Both and west of the Wasatch a=nd east of the Orriqh (sp ?) ranges and in a bowl. In winter inversions occur regularly. Seach here, the topic has been beaten to death.

Less frequently mentioned are dust events. Strong winds often blow towards the east picking up dust from the deserts and salt flats to the west. This doesn't do anybody any good and makes a mess on your car, house, etc. If the salt lake is allowed to dry up, which looks highly probable given the lack of serious effort to prevent it, such dust events will become toxic from scouring of the lake bed. The lake bed contains arsenic, lead and other toxic materials from the mining days. The science here is well established and has been documented many times when endorheic lakes dry up.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
How many more years until the lake drys up? 10-20?

Thank you for responding
Too many variables to predict with confidence. Some say within 5 years if current climate trends and lack of serious remediation persists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area