Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 04:58 PM

15,591 posts, read 40,493,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycledlettuce View Post
Hi everyone!

I have been thinking of moving to Salem (I love trying out new places) and was wondering what you guys think of this area: https://www.redfin.com/OR/Salem/740-..._campaign=copy

Not specifically the house because I'm not ready to buy yet, but I just wanted general ideas of what is to like about this area and what's not to like. I'm basically looking for affordable, somewhat walkable (I know Salem is much smaller than the big city I'm moving from), pretty laid back and chill as far as social attitudes (I am bi and sometimes date women.) I like some arts - doesn't have to be fancy but a theater or live play here and there is fun.

Am I in the right area of town?

2 more specific neighborhood questions: 1) How loud/frequent is the train (I see tracks around this area)? and 2) Do I need air conditioning to live here? I can stand a few degrees of 90+ without ac, but much more and I'm miserable.
The train runs 4 times a day.

It used to be that you could get away without AC, but I think it is necessary now.

That is in Highland which is a hit-and-miss area. The area south of Columbia has mostly transitioned, but the area north of that is hit and miss with a mix of improved and well-kept homes and junked-out homes. The area is one of the more affordable areas in Salem. Pine street itself is a busy street and I personally think buying on a busy street and by a railroad track would be a huge mistake from an investment perspective.

People have different ideas of what walkable means and what a nice neighborhood is. I wouldn't call it walkable personally, but there is a bus stop 4 blocks away that is a straight shot to downtown. I have sold homes in Highland. I'm very comfortable walking around, but I'm not bothered by poor people. Highland has a bit of a negative reputation because there are some alcohol and drug halfway/treatment homes in there, a sex offender halfway house, and some group homes for disabled people and such. So you can occasionally get a screamer in the street. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me, but I know it bothers other people.

That said, it is an improving area. You are coming from a much larger city and metro area so generally when that happens, I find people aren't as bothered by some areas as locals are. it is a matter of perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 06:10 PM

112 posts, read 120,597 times
No particular reason except that I saw houses for list that I might able to eventually be able to afford, so was looking in an area I could love/buy in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just curious -- you say you're not ready to buy, so this thread isn't about the house you posted -- why that particular part of town?

Old 03-02-2022, 06:17 PM

112 posts, read 120,597 times
I was homeless at some points (rough childhood), lived near Orange Mound in Memphis (there was a drive-by a few blocks away) and now I live in La Jolla, so I've seen pretty much everything. I figure I can handle it by this point. LOL

Thank you for the input, soon to be neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The train runs 4 times a day.

It used to be that you could get away without AC, but I think it is necessary now.

That is in Highland which is a hit-and-miss area. The area south of Columbia has mostly transitioned, but the area north of that is hit and miss with a mix of improved and well-kept homes and junked-out homes. The area is one of the more affordable areas in Salem. Pine street itself is a busy street and I personally think buying on a busy street and by a railroad track would be a huge mistake from an investment perspective.

People have different ideas of what walkable means and what a nice neighborhood is. I wouldn't call it walkable personally, but there is a bus stop 4 blocks away that is a straight shot to downtown. I have sold homes in Highland. I'm very comfortable walking around, but I'm not bothered by poor people. Highland has a bit of a negative reputation because there are some alcohol and drug halfway/treatment homes in there, a sex offender halfway house, and some group homes for disabled people and such. So you can occasionally get a screamer in the street. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me, but I know it bothers other people.

That said, it is an improving area. You are coming from a much larger city and metro area so generally when that happens, I find people aren't as bothered by some areas as locals are. it is a matter of perspective.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:12 AM

15,591 posts, read 40,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycledlettuce View Post
I was homeless at some points (rough childhood), lived near Orange Mound in Memphis (there was a drive-by a few blocks away) and now I live in La Jolla, so I've seen pretty much everything. I figure I can handle it by this point. LOL

Thank you for the input, soon to be neighbor!
You'll be fine then.

It isn't bad like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem