Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 12:45 PM

36,790 posts, read 31,062,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I have a rooster story.
When I was a kid, some stores would sell baby chicks at Easter time. Sometimes they’d be dyed pastel colors. My parent got one for me when I was maybe 5-ish years old. Of course, it grew into a big ole rooster. He was as white as could be, a beautiful guy. I called him Whippy because to my 5-year-old mind, he reminded me of whipped potatoes.
I don’t remember if he was mean or not, but when he was big enough, my dad killed him, plucked him, and cooked him for a Sunday dinner.
I was devastated. I remember my dad trying to make light of it and trying to make me laugh by making the plucked carcass dance.
Horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
My husband's friend raised a pig from a piglet. They allowed their kid to name him Wilbur and let him get close to it. He even sometimes slept with this little pig.

Well when the pig turned one years old and at its max weight, the friend took it to be processed. The kid came home from school and went to see Wilbur like he did everyday. He was gone so he asked about him, and the friend told his kid the pig was at the vet.

A few days later after a rib dinner, the kid asked when the pig was coming home. The friend said he was already back, that he had just eaten him, and then he started laughing. The kid was horrified.

He never ate meat again. His mother divorced the guy (for that and other issues of abuse), and the kid does not speak to his dad to this day.

I have never understood why my husband is friends with this guy.
Good grief those are horrible things to do to children.
Pets or livestock, not both, and never name livestock.

My dad raised a couple of hogs. He named them (Vernon and Bula) and would sit on a stump next to the pig pen and talk to them. I could tell it bothered him when we ate them and he was a hardened old man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 12:55 PM

24,780 posts, read 11,170,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Good grief those are horrible things to do to children.
Pets or livestock, not both, and never name livestock.

My dad raised a couple of hogs. He named them (Vernon and Bula) and would sit on a stump next to the pig pen and talk to them. I could tell it bothered him when we ate them and he was a hardened old man.
I named a doe and her yearly twin fawns. They did not make it to the freezer.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:27 PM

12,642 posts, read 9,798,157 times
Quote:
My husband's friend raised a pig from a piglet. They allowed their kid to name him Wilbur and let him get close to it. He even sometimes slept with this little pig.

Well when the pig turned one years old and at its max weight, the friend took it to be processed. The kid came home from school and went to see Wilbur like he did everyday. He was gone so he asked about him, and the friend told his kid the pig was at the vet.

A few days later after a rib dinner, the kid asked when the pig was coming home. The friend said he was already back, that he had just eaten him, and then he started laughing. The kid was horrified.

He never ate meat again. His mother divorced the guy (for that and other issues of abuse), and the kid does not speak to his dad to this day.

I agree - obviously the guy was emotionless when it came to animals, and he didn't seem to be a lot better with his son.

Old 04-27-2024, 04:35 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,031,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I have a rooster story.
When I was a kid, some stores would sell baby chicks at Easter time. Sometimes they’d be dyed pastel colors. My parent got one for me when I was maybe 5-ish years old. Of course, it grew into a big ole rooster. He was as white as could be, a beautiful guy. I called him Whippy because to my 5-year-old mind, he reminded me of whipped potatoes.
I don’t remember if he was mean or not, but when he was big enough, my dad killed him, plucked him, and cooked him for a Sunday dinner.
I was devastated. I remember my dad trying to make light of it and trying to make me laugh by making the plucked carcass dance.
Horrible.
We had one that lived 2 maybe 3 years. Meanest rooster I ever seen; he would stalk us. Walking in the yard he would come at us, you turn to look at him he would pretend to be eating. Start walking again, turn to look for him, he would be closer. This would continue until he flogged you or you ran away from him.

Old 04-27-2024, 04:41 PM

131,069 posts, read 12,245,267 times
Quote:

Why not, he sounds like a compassionate man.

people I know, who keep chickens, do so with no roosters.

Old 04-29-2024, 07:09 AM

36,790 posts, read 31,062,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
[/b]
Why not, he sounds like a compassionate man.

people I know, who keep chickens, do so with no roosters.
Do they name them, make pets of them, sleep with them? How about out of the blue tell their kids they are eating their pet? I dont see anything compassionate about that. Kids get attached to a pet whatever species it may be, dog, cat, pig, rooster.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:45 PM

34,161 posts, read 83,253,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Are a-holes. Yes, there may be a rare exception occasionally , but for the most part, I stand by my statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmpuAz59EbQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living