Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 09:59 AM

23,674 posts, read 70,796,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I have 2 antennas, an upper VHF and a lower UHF, both quite large. They are in the attic, though. I recently bought a quality amplifier, hooked it up, and re-scanned. The number of channels I could receive dropped. $70 down the drain. My problem is that I am in the middle of nowhere, low in elevation, and behind a large hill to the north, where the TV transmitters are. Based on an experiment I did by hooking up the FM receiver to the upper VHF antenna, adding an FM antenna to the attic might be worthwhile over the dipole I am using in my house with aluminum siding. Nobody makes 6 element FM antennas anymore; just 4 elements. For reference, the VHF antenna is optimized for 174-230 MHz, while FM is 88-108 MHz, so in theory a good FM antenna should be better.
That is puzzling. If you bought it off Amazon, return it. A lot of electronics being sold there are bad. BTDT, some of the sellers may be getting defectives or marginals for cheap. Channelmaster or Wineguard, at the antenna, with the power insertion at the set should give you more channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:59 PM

1,276 posts, read 685,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's no doubt true that the higher the antenna is, the better the reception will be. But if you are pulling in a station from 40 or 50 miles away how much difference will an extra 10 or 15 feet really make? My guess would be not that much. Personally I would only go as high as you have to, to get good reception.
The maximum distance to regularly receive TV signals from roof or tower-mounted antennas is about 60 - 80 miles. Taller, better antennas help but the most limiting factor is actually the curvature of Earth itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living