Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 05:24 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Actually, the reason why I can't get into the car is because the car is inside! It's behind a garage door with the Genie door opener system. More Remotes to the door are possible but remember, they don't mean a thing if the power is out.

As far as anything other than a satellite phone or a landline extension wired to the outside, it has already been explained of why, "make sure you have your phone with you" really is not an option out here.

As to other things, once upon a time, when I was in the apartments, I was locked inside my apartment at the main door. The 90 degree turn knob to the dead bolt wouldn't turn. I got a phone call out, to the answering service, for help and the repair man, once he arrived, had to crawl through my bedroom window so to work on the lock from the inside. He took it apart and found the linkage on the dead bolt had failed.

What could go wrong? The odds of such are astronomical! Etc, etc, but having been there, I know it is possible, that it really sucks when it happens to you, and.............

.......................I don't think it is so unreasonable to have ready backup supplies.

The stuff with garage door has been explained.

So back to the porch door.

When you live in an apartment you deal with the stuff your landlord installed. But this is your house - inspect your lock and the handle, replace as needed to make sure it won't lock you out and the handle is easy to operate. Ask for advice here or at the store.
Personally - I hate turn knobs! And I know that the older you get, the harder is to operate them.
Replacing door lock and a handle will bring you peace of mind and still might be cheaper than breaking into your house.
Maybe something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/HOSOM-Exterio..._thematic_sspa

For existing turn knob:

https://www.amazon.com/Able-Life-Doo.../dp/B00I45JLJO

You can't live in fear that you might be locked out your own house.

Fix that and you won't need Plan B to Z.

BTW: is your porch door the only entry door to your house??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 05:31 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
This subject is probably more appropriate here, in RURAL, than PREPPING because that is the environment where the situation exists. To move it to PREPPING and then we could be looking at replies from areas like the suburbs where there are porch pirates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The stuff with garage door has been explained.

When you live in an apartment you deal with the stuff your landlord installed. But this is your house - inspect your lock and the handle, replace as needed to make sure it won't lock you out and the handle is easy to operate. Ask for advice here or at the store.
Personally - I hate turn knobs! And I know that the older you get, the harder is to operate them.
Replacing door lock and a handle will bring you peace of mind and still might be cheaper than breaking into your house.

For existing turn knob:

You can't live in fear that you might be locked out your own house.

Fix that and you won't need Plan B to Z.

BTW: is your porch door the only entry door to your house??
TOO LATE!

The house was built with handle door "knobs" in case I ever become disabled. The porch isn't the only entry door to the house. Just that there is grass with fire ants, scorpions, black widows, whatever else between here and there.

LOOK, I appreciate a lot of the answers I am getting but these constant replies of redesigning my house aren't really helpful. I asked about what to put in the chest, how to keep the chest contents safe, how to keep the chest from being stolen, things like that.

Can't we keep to that subject instead of changing the parameters of what was asked?

Old 01-16-2024, 05:45 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Can't we keep to that subject instead of changing the parameters of what was asked?
You might pose the initial question, but those questions often beg for tangents because they are vague, they ramble or are weirdly open ended, or there are too many possible answers. The tangents help pin them down better. Not to mention, you also tend to introduce some of those tangents yourself!

Old 01-16-2024, 05:59 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
So, then: don't read her threads.
Leave them for guys like me, who enjoy the puzzles of her lifestyle.

BTW: I have learned not to take others too seriously (most of the time). This seems to be mostly entertainment rather than a hard core learning environment. The serious preppers are on more specialized forums (not City Data). And, meeting in person.

Yeah, I agree. I enjoy the mystery too (even though girl here). She writes creatively.

I used to watch Canadian Prepper on YouTube, but, I had to take a break as he does get so entirely serious. I will revisit him at some point.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:24 AM

8,923 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
This subject is probably more appropriate here, in RURAL, than PREPPING because that is the environment where the situation exists. To move it to PREPPING and then we could be looking at replies from areas like the suburbs where there are porch pirates.
Just to be clear, the 'above' is pointed at me, not elnina.
And, I do understand:
The topic tends to attract tangents, here, but in "preppers" forum (and in the politics forum) I have seen too many people who answer the question, apparently without reading the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yeah, I agree. I enjoy the mystery too (even though girl here). She writes creatively.
Before the wokeness movement caused everyone to take offence at everything, "guys" was understood to be generic, meaning both males and females, when both were present. (Unless a distinction was deliberate, that is.) It was even stated in the dictionary (in the 60's) as such.

(But, thanks for specifying to everyone. City Data lacks an mechanism to automatically display that info.)

Quote:
I used to watch Canadian Prepper on YouTube, but, I had to take a break as he does get so entirely serious. I will revisit him at some point.
Canadian Prepper makes his money by showing evidence out of context, for the purpose of making you anxious. Avoid him, if you want to remain sane.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:28 AM

8,923 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

For existing turn knob:

These links are great!
Huge improvement over past solutions.
(I was a locksmith, in the 1970's)

Another fringe benefit of these threads.

Old 01-17-2024, 05:31 AM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Just to be clear, the 'above' is pointed at me, not elnina.
And, I do understand:
The topic tends to attract tangents, here, but in "preppers" forum (and in the politics forum) I have seen too many people who answer the question, apparently without reading the question.

Before the wokeness movement caused everyone to take offence at everything, "guys" was understood to be generic, meaning both males and females, when both were present. (Unless a distinction was deliberate, that is.) It was even stated in the dictionary (in the 60's) as such.

(But, thanks for specifying to everyone. City Data lacks an mechanism to automatically display that info.)

Canadian Prepper makes his money by showing evidence out of context, for the purpose of making you anxious. Avoid him, if you want to remain sane.

Yes, "hey guys" to me means everyone. I just cannot get into the gender thing either (there's too many choices). I'm old and I have to draw the line at what I can adjust to -- LOL.

I initially went back and watched Canadian Prepper's earlier videos. He started to get more and more crazed and that's when I had to disconnect. I actually just found this Ex-Green Baret that has a channel and it's much more sane just going over outdoor survival tactics and it's called the Gray Bearded Green Beret.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:59 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Just hide a key outside and be done it.

Or continue with the hand wringing and the crazy “what ifs” and just reject out of hand any and all reasonable solutions, because you know, “internal security” and “my minders” (whatever the hell that means. . .).

Hide a Key Rock

Old 01-17-2024, 08:38 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Just hide a key outside and be done it.

Or continue with the hand wringing and the crazy “what ifs” and just reject out of hand any and all reasonable solutions, because you know, “internal security” and “my minders” (whatever the hell that means. . .).

Hide a Key Rock
I don't reject out of hand any and all...... but as I have explained, if repeatedly, there is a sea of things that bite and sting out there.....so going to find the hidden key may not be as easy as it seems. FURTHER, as one person pointed out, a crow might steal it (or worse, pick up the hiding rock and find the underside covered with fire ants or rattlers or black widows). I don't know the habits of the crows but I have lifted the cap on my gas tank to check its level and found a nest of active, peeping birds under it.

HENCE, this is the country and things might not be as easy as one thinks. Hence, for a question in the Rural Forum, perhaps a long pair of heavy work gloves might be a suggestion of something to go into that emergency chest.

As far as what does internal security mean? It means that some things are none of anyone's business and are not open for discussion. As far as a minder, you know what they say....Google is your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=what...t=gws-wiz-serp

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-17-2024 at 08:56 AM..

Old 01-17-2024, 09:45 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I'd get one of those plastic Rubbermaid storage chests, put a pair of boots (leather or rubber wellies), wool sock hat, heavy coat, work gloves, rain slicker in it. The chest is tight enough you don't need to worry about critters getting inside. Even if you get some blowing rain onto the porch, the stuff will stay dry.

I'd put your spare key (and arms if you think necessary) in a DIFFERENT, secure location, well hidden.

If you get caught outside your locked door in 20F high wind condition, or 32.1F and pouring rain, you can put on the clothing in the chest and go after your spare key (and other if you think necessary). It's almost certain no one's going to steal some clothing out of a chest on the porch. The spare key (and other things if you think necessary), on the other hand, are highly attractive to thieves. But you don't have to lay hands on those things in the first couple minutes - whereas if the door blows closed and you can't get back in, and you're standing there in 32F with pouring rain wearing nothing but a nightshirt and a pair of fuzzy slippers, what you need first is some clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living