Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 04:16 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times

Advertisements

People are always going to have their opinions and it's easy to brush off ignorant statements, but the disturbing part is many urbanites want to get rid of the electoral college and implement a "popular vote" system. Under such a system a couple of coastal states would choose the winner in every federal election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 04:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
See it and hear it all the time. Those dumb hillbilly- red neck -ignorant-trailer trash country bumkins. They wouldn't have a pot to **** in if not for the business and intellectuals in cities. Just for a moment...Imagine cities growing their own food, storing their water in reservoirs in their city, processing meat and fish, harvesting lumber, mining ores, working oil rigs/fields, drilling for natural gas, etc.

Who's the dummies? who would suffer the most during a down turn?

Think of a great city like NY. Totally dependent on the bumkins to deliver their energy, food, water... and how easy it would be to just shut it off.
You'd be well served not to hang out with those unsavory types then you wouldn't have to see and hear it all the time.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:43 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
You'd be well served not to hang out with those unsavory types then you wouldn't have to see and hear it all the time.
This is why it matters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
People are always going to have their opinions and it's easy to brush off ignorant statements, but the disturbing part is many urbanites want to get rid of the electoral college and implement a "popular vote" system. Under such a system a couple of coastal states would choose the winner in every federal election.

Old 10-01-2023, 05:31 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Honestly? Some people in rural areas are- prejudiced, insular, predatory and not openminded.

THAT happens in cities too but people have more options to network and befriend in a city. In a rural area, it's not possible to opt out of dealing with creepy backwoods people.

A cop from a major urban city admitted this to me when I was dealing with some nonsense due to a "town drunk" harassing my ex. I felt bad for this cop as he was used to city life and he was tasked with cleaning up messes made by creeps and inbred people. I honestly hope he transferred back to his original city.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:58 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
It is hard to get away from those "unsavory types" in life.

For those who don't think it happens, here is a Prime Example of an urban dweller
mocking rural people:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Honestly? Some people in rural areas are- prejudiced, insular, predatory and not openminded.

THAT happens in cities too but people have more options to network and befriend in a city. In a rural area, it's not possible to opt out of dealing with creepy backwoods people.

A cop from a major urban city admitted this to me when I was dealing with some nonsense due to a "town drunk" harassing my ex. I felt bad for this cop as he was used to city life and he was tasked with cleaning up messes made by creeps and inbred people. I honestly hope he transferred back to his original city.

Old 10-02-2023, 04:37 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
It is hard to get away from those "unsavory types" in life.

For those who don't think it happens, here is a Prime Example of an urban dweller
mocking rural people:
Why penalize me for saying something obvious? Many companies have refused to locate businesses with good paying jobs in rural areas because the locals seemed so unwillling to better themselves.

This has been public debate for a long time....

Rural areas have been emptying out for decades. Which hurts people who did nothing to deserve that- people who bought homes and maintained them, and people who worked and paid into the system.

Many rural states have a terrible time getting workers to relocate to their plants and factories. Sometimes even with per diem for housing, sign on bonuses, etc. Many of the meatpacking plant workers are either immigrants or transplants from urban America, because the rural locals refuse to work that hard.

Old 10-02-2023, 05:52 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Why penalize me for saying something obvious? Many companies have refused to locate businesses with good paying jobs in rural areas because the locals seemed so unwillling to better themselves.

This has been public debate for a long time....

Rural areas have been emptying out for decades. Which hurts people who did nothing to deserve that- people who bought homes and maintained them, and people who worked and paid into the system.

Many rural states have a terrible time getting workers to relocate to their plants and factories. Sometimes even with per diem for housing, sign on bonuses, etc. Many of the meatpacking plant workers are either immigrants or transplants from urban America, because the rural locals refuse to work that hard.
Yeh, nothing's better than calling your fellow citizens trailer park dwelling, mouth breathing, toothless, meth using, sister ****ing, inbred high school dropouts. Gives one a warm fuzzy feeling.

Old 10-02-2023, 06:47 AM

7,917 posts, read 3,458,721 times
We don't vote correctly and our demographics are too pale for their liking. Even our fast food workers speak English as a first language. Can you imagine? Plus everyone needs someone to hate and they can't hate many of their most troublesome urban neighbors for ideological reasons. But make no mistake, there is plenty of hate in homes with "Hate Has No Home Here" signs in front of them.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:02 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Quote:
...Many of the meatpacking plant workers are either immigrants or transplants from urban America, because the rural locals refuse to work that hard.
No, that's a case of "what you're offering, I don't want".

You've completely missed the boat on that one.

Old 10-02-2023, 08:14 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
No, that's a case of "what you're offering, I don't want".

You've completely missed the boat on that one.

At my 40th class reunion eleven years ago there were three of my classmates up for the same job. Two of them had just lost their jobs at the glass bottle plant that had shut down after over a hundred years in operation.

What was the job they all wanted? Cleaning toilets at the truck stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living