Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 01:56 PM

19,939 posts, read 22,876,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Besides, you never use meat products in compost anyway.
Household compost- no. However large animals can and are composted.

https://apps.msuextension.org/public...tml?sku=EB0205

Quote:
Livestock Mortality Composting

For many species, carcass composting (i.e., the biological process of converting organic matter into fine-particle humus-like material) is an environmentally preferable method for managing mortalities. When performed correctly, the end-product may be reused in future mortality composting, and under certain conditions, applied to animal feed crops and forest crops. Poultry composting is a common practice and much information is available that describes how to dispose of birds in this way.

Composting is practical for larger carcasses. Many operations, even in cold climates, successfully compost larger stock including sows, cattle and horses. Composting large carcasses can save labor and land. This practice allows a dedicated area to be used and reused for carcass management; it is done above ground, thereby reducing the number of labor-intensive burial pits created as well as minimizing the number of buried carcasses on the property.

Technical procedures on composting cattle carcasses are available and continue to be studied and refined; this appears to be a viable option which will be described further in this manual. Most composting requires storm water protection, and possibly roof-type covering. Additional management and monitoring is required to refine the process, maintain temperatures, attain proper decomposition and prevent scavengers. Nutrients and organic matter in finished carcass compost can benefit forest and crop land; however, nutrient management guidelines should be followed. This publication focuses on aerobic composting in piles or windrows on the soil surface. Other methods do exist and are also continue to be studied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 10:12 AM

43,586 posts, read 18,651,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Besides, you never use meat products in compost anyway.
Well if you live out in the country the vultures take care of the dead bodies almost immediately.

Old 01-05-2024, 05:08 AM

10,138 posts, read 6,514,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well if you live out in the country the vultures take care of the dead bodies almost immediately.
That's true. I used to enjoy watching the turkey vultures trying to snatch scraps underneath the wings of the black vultures, which are much more aggressive. Sometimes there would even be an eagle in the mix.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:18 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,119,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Ohio stopped removing roadkill some years ago. This includes deer. Plenty of food for wildlife that eat carrion.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:11 AM

45,592 posts, read 61,004,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Ohio stopped removing roadkill some years ago. This includes deer. Plenty of food for wildlife that eat carrion.
I live in Maryland, and while I can't speak for the entire state, the County where I am in Southern Maryland has a couple crews that go around daily picking up roadkill.

Friends in south central Pennsylvania have told me that one of the biggest complaints Maryland expats have after moving there is that roadkill isn't picked up like here.

Old 01-05-2024, 01:07 PM

19,939 posts, read 22,876,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I live in Maryland, and while I can't speak for the entire state, the County where I am in Southern Maryland has a couple crews that go around daily picking up roadkill.

Friends in south central Pennsylvania have told me that one of the biggest complaints Maryland expats have after moving there is that roadkill isn't picked up like here.
20-25 years ago my wife and were out camping near the Potomac Highlands (WV). We went for a jaunt to find the Fairfax stone / North branch headwaters of the Potomac- so Tucker, Preston counties WV and Grant MD. We made a wrong turn on a dirt road and wound up in a clearing with THOUSANDS of deer skeletons and carcasses piled up. It was an eerie sight.

Old Today, 08:23 PM

1,115 posts, read 630,643 times
Even a determined raccoon can topple a trash can, never mind a feral hog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living