Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 08:49 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I learned my lesson about chainsaw chains. It is far easier and more economic to let some guy with a skidsteer [and all the attachments] to cut down trees, dress them to stovelength, split them, and load them onto a dumptruck. Heavy forestry equipment does not mind messing with firewood, unlike some poor fool out there with an axe, or a chainsaw, splitting wedges and mauls.

One guy sitting in a skidsteer chewing on a cigar can process four cords of firewood in a day.
that sounds great, but i'm not going through enough wood to justify that. plus there's no one in my area that would take on a task like that for anything approaching a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 09:39 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that sounds great, but i'm not going through enough wood to justify that. plus there's no one in my area that would take on a task like that for anything approaching a reasonable price.
Maine is over 92% forest.

The timbering industry has gone broke, it is cheaper to import lumber from Canada than to grow it here. But as residue from a long-lost industry there remains a lot of old heavy equipment, any mechanic with spare time could rebuild some of it.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Maine is over 92% forest.

The timbering industry has gone broke, it is cheaper to import lumber from Canada than to grow it here. But as residue from a long-lost industry there remains a lot of old heavy equipment, any mechanic with spare time could rebuild some of it.
Same in PNW, tho we still have a downsized timber industry. I have several nieghbors who are loggers by trade (and continuing to eat, somehow). Across the road and over a couple hills is a woodlot for culls (non marketable) timber. ~200 logs of 3-5' dia and 30' long.

Helping that neighbor guy repair his firewood processor, so we can work through that stack of logs. Trying to find a 18-20 hp aircooled diesel engine for that application. (10- 12 HP is far more common). Those engine sip very little fuel.

I generally do my firewood a stick at a time ~5-7 cords / yr. But getting too old and stiff to consider that a LT option. Especially wrestling and splitting 4' dia rounds.

But I do like the heat! (important resource at the moment)

Old 01-11-2024, 08:23 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
There is something really mesmerizing about watching those lumber and firewood processing machines videos.
Some of them Eastern European rigs are down right scary though.

Old 01-12-2024, 05:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
....lumber and firewood processing machines videos.
Some of them Eastern European rigs are down right scary though.
True, neighbor was stacking in the truck, when 3 of his brothers fingers, in gloves, came up the conveyer. Off to the hospital for the rest of that day.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:17 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Yikes !
I just knew some of them “creative” processing machines were dangerous.

We had a guy get creative at work a while back.
I had to attend to him in a serious manner.
To heck with all of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living