Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 09:44 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on going this way......the way our world is going? I mean, I am looking at putting in more water storage for the ranch, so why not another aspect of its self substaining?

Has anyone done this, with the outside gas tanks? Thoughts? Legalities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 01:49 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
What kind of "gas" do you mean? Hopefully you didn't mean gasoline! Propane to fuel a BBQ? Liquid fuel like "white" gas? You'd probably need to check with local suppliers about the legalities, requirements, and restrictions on residential storage of larger volumes of flammable fuel. If you hve no direct experience using either of them, educate yourself how to use it safely.

Old 08-28-2023, 04:21 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Do you already have an above ground (or in ground) propane tank?

Old 08-31-2023, 03:46 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Lots of ranchers have diesel tanks, usually colored diesel, for their farm equipment. Are you thinking something like this for gasoline?

Old 08-31-2023, 03:59 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Lots of ranchers have diesel tanks, usually colored diesel, for their farm equipment. Are you thinking something like this for gasoline?
Cooking with gasoline???

Old 08-31-2023, 05:24 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
I have 1-100 gallon propane tank that supplies my gas range. When installed it was at 80% full, today the tank is over 50% full after a entire year of daily use.

IMO, 1 tank would suffice.

Old 08-31-2023, 08:09 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Cooking with gasoline???

Many camp stoves can run on unleaded gasoline. Many Coleman stoves run on such.
MSR multifuel stoves such as the XGK and its successors will run on most automobile fuel.

White gas was originally simply additive-free gasoline. This formulation is now rarely found. Coleman fuel, and other white gases, contain additives for inhibiting rust, ease of lighting, and fast burning. It is also cleaner than the original white gas.
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/u...stove.1459963/

Old 09-01-2023, 08:29 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
We don’t have natural gas on the Olympic Peninsula.
Our place came with a monster sized propane tank that only went to a fireplace insert thing that we don’t use and a few exterior service ports.
I keep the propane tank full and untouched with its valve closed just for an emergency fuel source for our generator and things like that.
I might look into getting an adapter to fill small cans for a camping type cooktops for times of electricity or supply stoppages.

For me even though I’m looking for independence I don’t think the second tank is higher on my priorities than a few of the other ideas I have.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:39 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,651,635 times
If you need propane to be on hand at all times, you need a spare tank. Might just be one of those little ones to tide you over till the truck can get there.

If it's optional and/or you've got workarounds, then one.

I'm sure your local propane vendor has a program to come refill the big tank before it's empty - I haven't looked into this yet, but by now I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of sensor on the tank that communicates to the vendor by internet.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:56 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Exclamation Below about -40° the propane flow just stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Has anyone done this, with the outside gas tanks? Thoughts? Legalities?
I have a pair of 120 gallon tanks, plumbed together, because when I did the install the ground was frozen and dropping in a 1000 gallon underground tank wasn't feasible. Also because state regulations tend to get much stricter when the container holds upwards of 125 gallons.

A related reason for having a parallel'd pair of tanks is for vapor pressure -- the pressure provided by propane tanks varies with temperature, and eventually a single smaller tank can no longer supply sufficient pressure and/or flow volume to feed your propane-fired appliances. While the tank itself needs to get below -40° to stop flowing entirely, the impact of even less extreme temperatures is noticeable with high-volume consumers like a generator or central heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
If you need propane to be on hand at all times, you need a spare tank. Might just be one of those little ones to tide you over till the truck can get there.
While the +100 gallon tanks aren't portable, there are a few sizes of portable tanks these can be loaded into a pickup truck and brought in for filling. For example, a 40 lb propane tank holds 9.4 gallons of propane and weighs 72 lbs full. And I can just barely maneuver a 100 pound tank with a hand truck and a helper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I'm sure your local propane vendor has a program to come refill the big tank before it's empty - I haven't looked into this yet, but by now I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of sensor on the tank that communicates to the vendor by internet.
Very few vendors are providing these, so far. You can buy your own (it just snaps onto the top of the tank) and setup a display indoors or a smartphone app.

Most instead use a subscription service which takes the consumer's historical usage and the "Heating Degree Days" since their last fill, and does a Carnac the Magnificent style prediction of when to top off the tank. Sometimes it works, sometimes you run short if you don't keep your own watch on the remaining liquid volume.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 09-01-2023 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living