Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 04:05 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
STOP...!!!. Don't try cranking until removing spark plug.

Very common B&S issue is hydra lock due to fuel draining into engine because of stuck float needle in Carburator. If this happens, you can bend your crankrod trying to crank engine. You also probably got fuel into oil, so oil will need changing too. Verify buy level, smell, viscosity. Solve by installing a brass shut-off valve in fuel line.

Otherwise a weak battery or connection might cause slow cranking. Amp meter could verify load on starter.

I've had this happen.. One note.. Don't buy the replacement carb from Amazon.

Good catch.. I wouldn't have thought it through to hydrolock.

The fact that the engine is only turning about halfway.. I wonder what sounds it's making after it stops? Because, that starter SHOULD be whining like a SOB if it were not able to turn the motor.

Wonder.. Could it be a starter issue? It spins and hits a dead spot? Seems.. Pretty unlikely, but..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 04:18 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
check the exhaust spark arrestor screen. ie potato in the exhaust pipe.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:38 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Usually the carburetor....

Old 06-18-2023, 02:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Usually the carburetor....
For a no crank?... Doesn't sound like carb issue. (Usually a sputter, fire but not start, start then Die, coughing, cutting out, flooding out.). Usually Cranking fine when carb issue, just won't run smoothly.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:28 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For a no crank?... Doesn't sound like carb issue. (Usually a sputter, fire but not start, start then Die, coughing, cutting out, flooding out.). Usually Cranking fine when carb issue, just won't run smoothly.

Well, remember also it's not a 'no crank'.. It's a 'half-crank'.

Weak battery would be the first guess just from that. But.. if the battery were weak, it'd probably half turn over once, then next to nothing past a 'click' perhaps.

StealthRabbit is dead on that the carbs on those have a bad habit of sticking. I had the problem and when I went out to start it I noticed gas pouring out the exhaust.. And he is quite correct that.. To get gas pouring out the exhaust, that means at least one cylinder is full of gas.. So.. That starter wouldn't be able to compress gas.. Which.. COULD lead to what OP is describing.

Of course.. One would THINK that OP might have mentioned that if it were happening.

That half-turn.. Again, has me a touch stumped. I half wonder if he smacked the starter with a hammer if it'd turn again. But.. The big question for me.. Once it completes that half-turn.. What happens? Because, as I mentioned before, if the engine is seized/hydrolocked.. That starter is still getting power and will be trying its damndest to turn the motor.. Which likely means it's going to be making "I'm not happy" noises.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:57 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Does it have spark?

Old 06-19-2023, 06:00 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
1st thing i would do is fully charge the battery.
Take it to a Free Battery Test auto parts store. Have them put a full load test on the battery.
What are the results?

Old 06-20-2023, 08:41 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
OP seems to be a one and done, but everyone, just remember what Grand-dad told you:

Air
Fuel
Spark

Old 11-22-2023, 05:15 AM

8,037 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Do what I did. Sell the riding lawn mower and just pay someone else to cut your lawn.

Much less stress and more time for yourself..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living