Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:56 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times

Advertisements

Littering, letting your dogs run loose, & trespassing (usually hunters) are my "what the heck is wrong with you?" annoyances. Other than those I'm pretty easy to get along with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
I'm a transplant of almost 25 years to a small rural borough in Western Pennsylvania. I've covered most of the following in a previous post, but this is what I've personally observed.

DON'T appoint yourself a SJW to "correct" locals about their anti-diversity attitudes, xenophobia, hunting and gun culture, lack of PC'ness, etc. Keep your opinions to yourself. I often heard Obama referred to as "That (N word)". I don't ever use or like to hear the "N word" myself (even though I cannot STAND Barry or Michelle) and I STILL don't like and can't get used to how common it is thrown around conversationally. At the small town law firm where I worked, if the Obamas' faces were on a magazine cover in the waiting room, some clients would get up in disgust and turn them around or put them on the bottom of the pile (often making "N word" comments).

When watching local parades, transplants shouldn't make critical comments about the local high school marching bands being "all white". I actually once heard a resident respond with, "We like it that way".

Also, don't corner and confront the school cafeteria supervisor at the local supermarket about introducing third world-type ethnic meatless dishes (such as Indian) to the students during Lent. They still wrinkle their noses at and pitch beans in any form in the trash.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 11-13-2018 at 10:50 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 03:01 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
The absolute worst thing about newcomers is that they almost always move in, and then do everything they can to destroy what was great about the place. If your home had privacy, they tear down every tree and put their house right on the lot line so all you can see is their house, even from inside yours. If the area had low taxes, they'll be at public meetings giving the local politicians excuses to waste enormous amounts of money for "improvements" that actually are just minor "changes" (from good to worse) that allow tax dollars to be pocketed.

It's happened to every house I ever bought.

And they let their dogs run free, because "their dogs are friendly" and they're too dumb to know that your dog is going to want to defend it's home from the intruder dogs.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:12 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm a transplant of almost 25 years to a small rural borough in Western Pennsylvania. I've covered most of the following in a previous post, but this is what I've personally observed.

DON'T appoint yourself a SJW to "correct" locals about their anti-diversity attitudes, xenophobia, hunting and gun culture, lack of PC'ness, etc. Keep your opinions to yourself. I often heard Obama referred to as "That (N word)". I don't ever use or like to hear the "N word" myself (even though I cannot STAND Barry or Michelle) and I STILL don't like and can't get used to how common it is thrown around conversationally. At the small town law firm where I worked, if the Obamas' faces were on a magazine cover in the waiting room, some clients would get up in disgust and turn them around or put them on the bottom of the pile (often making "N word" comments).

When watching local parades, transplants shouldn't make critical comments about the local high school marching bands being "all white". I actually once heard a resident respond with, "We like it that way".

Also, don't corner and confront the school cafeteria supervisor at the local supermarket about introducing third world-type ethnic meatless dishes (such as Indian) to the students during Lent. They still wrinkle their noses at and pitch beans in any form in the trash.

Hell.. I'm in the deep south and I never run into that here at all. And it's supposedly worse here? Matter of fact, I've NEVER lived in a place like what you're describing.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:41 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Hell.. I'm in the deep south and I never run into that here at all. And it's supposedly worse here? Matter of fact, I've NEVER lived in a place like what you're describing.
Sounds about right. Rural places up North have to be experienced to be believed.

People easily forget that once you're out of the larger cities things can be completely different. Deep South you might be more likely to see small towns that are predominately Black.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The code to follow when moving to small town, is do things as the locals do, and do not tell them how things should be done. That is the code of how to be accepted in small town.
This is good for learning how things operate, but it is a two-edged sword also. Can easily become an excuse for stagnation and narrow-mindedness if it is mindless conformity.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 AM

400 posts, read 573,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The absolute worst thing about newcomers is that they almost always move in, and then do everything they can to destroy what was great about the place. If your home had privacy, they tear down every tree and put their house right on the lot line so all you can see is their house, even from inside yours.
Truth. In my case they not only did that, but put floodlights on their house pointing all directions because "it's too dark at night...". Geez. It's the country, what did you expect?

Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I remember reading a couple of posts saying that some newcomers moved to their town, and then spent a lot of time complaining about how things were so much better where they came from, and I also remember reading about how some "city slickers" would basically make fun of something they encountered -- that's all I meant.
LOL not city slickers! Fortunately, the things they miss are usually trivial, such as late night dining and Starbucks within walking distance. I've seen cities (towns?) of 30,000 with 2 Starbucks locations, so unless we're talking some place >30 minutes from the interstate and unincorporated, I'm sure they'll survive.

Now, I don't know how their precious Keurig will fare with all that well water being run through it...

Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I think they must be talking about ex-CA residents moving "out" to Denver.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 AM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I wasn't aware a low self worth was a requirement of living in a rural area. I'll keep that in mind when choosing a place to land as I get carried out by the tide of urban sprawl.
Its not having low self worth it thinking locals are inferior because they dont do things they way they were done where you came from or things your accustomed to aren't available in rural areas. I have overheard transplants calling locals lazy and backwards.
They think folks are lazy and dont want to work instead of understanding that the guy you hired to dig your septic is also a farmer and if his cows get out he is going to tend to that first or just that overall people go at a slower pace in rural areas. They think locals are backwards because there is no pizza delivery, or high speed internet, or trash pick up, or organic vegan markets, or liquor stores are closed on Sunday until after church, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
THIS!.

And especially don't ask when are they coming out of the dark ages and putting up street lights
Oh goodness. Our newest transplant put up super bright security lights. I've about peed myself numerous times driving up over the dip from the barn before daylight thinking there was a semi driving down the narrow gravel road. He also cut down almost all the trees on his property, uses round-up on the "ugly"grass that grows along the roads edge which leaches into the stream which could make it into the water table and my well. Yet he gets his nickers in a bunch if your car tire goes in his "pretty grass" along the road which is actually the right of way as is the "ugly" grass. And his wife complains about the mud from our tires that gets on the gravel road in front of his house. OMG we got mud on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
This is good for learning how things operate, but it is a two-edged sword also. Can easily become an excuse for stagnation and narrow-mindedness if it is mindless conformity.
Again, thinking people live in rural areas actually want things to change so they will be just like urban areas. Ever think they prefer "stagnation" and tradition.

For me its wanting to change the culture and complaining about how things are or how people live and comparing to where they came from that tick me off about transplants.
Got to give tourists a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living