Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 05:32 PM

5,673 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Here's an RIT thread of recent news

https://www.city-data.com/forum/roch...rochester.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 06:41 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I went to RIT in the late 90's and grew up in the area. It's was a good school and I met a lot of smart people there, but I had to head out of state to find any sort of a decent employment prospect (in computer networking) unless you want to work for healthcare or the gov't in some form. The area is divesting of most major businesses and the population is aging.

The campus is fairly isolated from the town so a car is a nice thing to have, outside the campus the town isn't walk-able. All the great outdoor amenities others are mentioning are indeed awesome but you need a car to access them and they are a drive away. The climate is fairly drab and it has four seasons, but winter is miserable and there isn't a lot of sunshine.

I do have a chip on my shoulder as western NY kind of took a turn for the worse in my opinion after the late 80's, but all that shouldn't matter to a student, aside from the COOP part of the programs where they might have to relocate to get a job but that is later in the program. I had to get a coop job in a different part of NY because there simply wasn't anything local, but seeing different parts of the country isn't a bad prospect at that age IMO. The area is indeed beautiful when the weather cooperates and I really miss that about western NY, but I ended up in Raleigh NC instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area