Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:53 PM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Victory in Courts for Whole Foods Developers in Brighton: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ro...rs-in-brighton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 05:27 PM

61 posts, read 50,737 times
I'm looking forward to Whole Foods, I've heard great things about them. I have been waiting for it to open and am on a list of people to get a letter in the mail to get coupons once it opens! so excited!

Old 03-03-2019, 12:13 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
I've been to one before, honestly I prefer Wegman's. Whole foods is going to have an uphill battle competing with an established chain like Wegman's. I say if you going to compete with Wegman's, don't locate your store two blocks from your competitor. I could see if it was a Topps or Walmart, right down the street, stores that target the value shoppers, but how many high end supermarkets can Brighton really support?

Old 03-06-2019, 12:58 PM

New lawsuit filed in Brighton’s Whole Foods conflict(snippet): https://nydailyrecord.com/2019/03/05...oods-conflict/

Old 03-09-2019, 06:18 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
So sad that a respected retailer has to fight to open a store in the Rottenchester area.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
So sad that a respected retailer has to fight to open a store in the Rottenchester area.
It is, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some things going on behind the scenes possibly causing this.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:56 AM

5,672 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post

Unfortunately, I believe that Rochester still suffers from the NIMBY attitude, cultivated during the booming years of Kodak and Xerox when everyone felt they were doing good and that we don't need anymore development. This most likely is the problem with the city itself, and it's school district. In fact Xerox pledged to hire "more than our fair share" of minorities. Many took the opportunity and thrived, while many more grabbed the high pay, but didn't use it as a springboard to improve their, and their families lives, because they figured the gravy train would continue. Those old days are gone, as well as the huge charitable investments

Old 03-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Unfortunately, I believe that Rochester still suffers from the NIMBY attitude, cultivated during the booming years of Kodak and Xerox when everyone felt they were doing good and that we don't need anymore development. This most likely is the problem with the city itself, and it's school district. In fact Xerox pledged to hire "more than our fair share" of minorities. Many took the opportunity and thrived, while many more grabbed the high pay, but didn't use it as a springboard to improve their, and their families lives, because they figured the gravy train would continue. Those old days are gone, as well as the huge charitable investments
What does the city of Rochester have to do with this, given that it would be located in Brighton?

Also, many of those “minorities” lived/live in Henrietta, Chili, Gates, other suburbs and select parts of the city.

I agree that a NIMBY spirit is as much of an issue not just in the Rochester area, but the state. It may be as much or more of an impediment than taxes in regards to development in the state in some cases. It can involve a range of people as well.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:31 AM

5,672 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What does the city of Rochester have to do with this, given that it would be located in Brighton?

Also, many of those “minorities” lived/live in Henrietta, Chili, Gates, other suburbs and select parts of the city.

I agree that a NIMBY spirit is as much of an issue not just in the Rochester area, but the state. It may be as much or more of an impediment than taxes in regards to development in the state in some cases. It can involve a range of people as well.

You totally missed the point, and the fact that you don't even live here, voids any commentary. The fact is, most of Rochester was totally content with the status quo. Got a job at Kodak or Xerox? Good. You're set for life. There was even a book written about it. "Smuggtown"

Old 03-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You totally missed the point, and the fact that you don't even live here, voids any commentary. The fact is, most of Rochester was totally content with the status quo. Got a job at Kodak or Xerox? Good. You're set for life. There was even a book written about it. "Smuggtown"
The same thing occurs across the state/many places though and what does that have to do with the lawsuit?

If anything it seems to speak more to a community aspect specifically in Brighton in terms of the character of the town instead of a what company you work for issue. I liken it to how a town that may get a certain restaurant like a McDonald’s, but there are specific criteria according to the community in terms of how it “blends” in with the character of the town or if it changes the character in terms of say traffic in a particular area of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area