Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2023, 08:01 PM

107 posts, read 121,635 times

Advertisements

Apparently my previous post was considered "trolling," even though I was just stating my opinion based on years of living here (granted a very negative one), so let me try to put this in a more politically correct way. I think this is about the last area in the general Richmond/central VA area you want to live. There is basically nothing to do here unless you enjoy shooting guns, no good restaurants of any kind, no worthwhile nightlife of any kind.

Need more? Try the dazzling medical personnel. I nearly died thanks to their 911 "service" who decided (with their impressive medical training they apparently receive as volunteers) that maybe I didn't really have a heart attack as I claimed and took their sweet old time driving me to ER. I promptly had another attack while I was there. Want more? Every year around mid-December, they waste taxpayer dollars and annoy the living bleep out of people by driving a fire engine through neighborhoods with the sirens BLASTING to say "Merry Christmas"...of course they drive very slowly to maximize the intrusion and obnoxious sounds as their gift to you.

If you think that all sounds great, maybe this area is for you. Personally I'm moving soon and can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 10:57 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe5 View Post
Every year around mid-December, they waste taxpayer dollars and annoy the living bleep out of people by driving a fire engine through neighborhoods with the sirens BLASTING to say "Merry Christmas"...of course they drive very slowly to maximize the intrusion and obnoxious sounds as their gift to you.
The first part didn't sound very fun - but the Santa/Fire Truck thing has been a feature of the two neighborhoods I have experienced in Virginia, neither of which is anywhere near Richmond.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:23 PM

Interesting. I'm curious about where that might've been?

Also is driving stupidly if you have a pickup a thing where you are, because it is here. I don't know why. It's almost like it's a law or something. And I have nothing against pickups. But it seems to somehow suck away brain cells. Driving slow in the left lane (a huge problem in the central VA area generally and I'm sure elsewhere) is their favorite bonehead move.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:14 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Interesting. I'm curious about where that might've been?

Also is driving stupidly if you have a pickup a thing where you are, because it is here. I don't know why. It's almost like it's a law or something. And I have nothing against pickups. But it seems to somehow suck away brain cells. Driving slow in the left lane (a huge problem in the central VA area generally and I'm sure elsewhere) is their favorite bonehead move.
Roanoke, VA area. The local fire trucks have a day when they circle through the neighborhood for Santa sightings and sirens!

Old 03-18-2023, 07:15 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Diagnosis, grumpy old man syndrome!

How do I know.......... I'm one too.

Old 03-24-2023, 11:03 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Apparently my previous post was considered "trolling," even though I was just stating my opinion based on years of living here (granted a very negative one), so let me try to put this in a more politically correct way. I think this is about the last area in the general Richmond/central VA area you want to live. There is basically nothing to do here unless you enjoy shooting guns, no good restaurants of any kind, no worthwhile nightlife of any kind.

Need more? Try the dazzling medical personnel. I nearly died thanks to their 911 "service" who decided (with their impressive medical training they apparently receive as volunteers) that maybe I didn't really have a heart attack as I claimed and took their sweet old time driving me to ER. I promptly had another attack while I was there. Want more? Every year around mid-December, they waste taxpayer dollars and annoy the living bleep out of people by driving a fire engine through neighborhoods with the sirens BLASTING to say "Merry Christmas"...of course they drive very slowly to maximize the intrusion and obnoxious sounds as their gift to you.

If you think that all sounds great, maybe this area is for you. Personally I'm moving soon and can't wait.
My sister used to own a restaurant right there in Central Garage/Aylett. She sold it and then reopened another down the road closer to Mechanicsville.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:03 AM

Wise move.

I forgot one other thing, though this is more general central VA thing: based on the reasonable assumption that you have a functioning brain, if you own a pickup, you'll need to sell it before moving here, because there is apparently a law here that says if you own a pickup, you have to drive stupidly. I suspect going slow in the left lane in particular gives you a bigger tax rebate or something.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:58 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
My sister used to own a restaurant right there in Central Garage/Aylett. She sold it and then reopened another down the road closer to Mechanicsville.
Be sure to visit the "Chillin and Grillin Shack" in Mechanicsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond