Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,701 times

Advertisements

So I moved to Richmond from New Orleans, LA and I find that people here seem rude and closed off. And as a single girl, I am having a hard time dating here. Am I crazy for thinking people here are not that friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 12:36 AM

132 posts, read 253,672 times
Its South enough to appear hospitable to Northerners yet North enough to appear rude to Southerners.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:00 AM

132 posts, read 191,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearax View Post
So I moved to Richmond from New Orleans, LA and I find that people here seem rude and closed off. And as a single girl, I am having a hard time dating here. Am I crazy for thinking people here are not that friendly?
Sorry that's been your experience - it hasn't been mine. What part of town do you live in? That can make a difference.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:06 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
I don't think its rudeness that you are experiencing just a weird dating world. I usual hear that the local singles like to meet/mingle with those that they already know from school, college, work etc.. For whatever reason there is a reluctance to try and meet those who aren't from their local circle, I don't know why but I have heard this from both men and woman...

Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 AM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times
We just spent the weekend in Richmond and we thought that most people were quite friendly. We live in Northern VA where I think people are definitely ruder than in Richmond.

Here's what I base this on: My wife and I are active, spending a lot of time outdoors walking, biking, running etc. In Northern VA I'd say roughly 10% of the people we encounter say "hello", "good morning" or similar. Richmond, in contrast, I'd say it was more like 90% that said something.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:09 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
I lived in Richmond briefly and honestly the people were super friendly and nice.

I found people in the suburbs (Short Pump) to be friendly as well but also very... uh... conservative for lack of a better term.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:06 AM

457 posts, read 693,563 times
Quote:
Probably transplants and not native Virginians. However, the poster above is correct, people in Richmond can be "cliquish" and rarely deviate from their group. Especially when it comes to dating. I'm 29, single, and ready to just give up. Try meeting some new people at beer league sports, or check meetup.com. Hope that helps.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:45 AM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
I'm 28 and a transplant. I have had a ton of success dating here in Richmond. Maybe too much. I actually find the women in Richmond to be extremely friendly. The bars on main street, Tuesday night verses in Shockoe Bottom. Heck, I even met a woman while playing Pokemon Go at Brown's Island. If you have trouble dating in Richmond you would probably die of loneliness in NOVA or DC. Here, people will let you jump in their random frisbee game or actually speak to you when you walk past them. Not to mention VCU brings in a lot of women from outside of Richmond. I have actually met more women not from Richmond than from here. IDK. I am also the type of person to talk to random people and make small talk so that may help.

Last edited by mpier015; 04-19-2018 at 06:57 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 07:28 AM

457 posts, read 693,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I'm 28 and a transplant. I have had a ton of success dating here in Richmond. Maybe too much. I actually find the women in Richmond to be extremely friendly. The bars on main street, Tuesday night verses in Shockoe Bottom. Heck, I even met a woman while playing Pokemon Go at Brown's Island. If you have trouble dating in Richmond you would probably die of loneliness in NOVA or DC. Here, people will let you jump in their random frisbee game or actually speak to you when you walk past them. Not to mention VCU brings in a lot of women from outside of Richmond. I have actually met more women not from Richmond than from here. IDK. I am also the type of person to talk to random people and make small talk so that may help.
You need to tell me your secrets.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:49 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
I’ve passed through Richmond a few times and I never encountered blatant rudeness. The people seemed friendly enough, with a couple of exceptions.

Danville, on the other hand...

Last edited by LM117; 04-23-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond