Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:25 AM

9,324 posts, read 14,937,409 times

Advertisements

This is big news!!!

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...se-in-newport/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:36 AM

3,853 posts, read 2,719,735 times
I saw that. It will be NOAA Atlantic. NOAA Pacific is located in Newport, Oregon on Yaquina Bay (the city was named after Newport, RI). However, the Rhode Island Current said the site will not actually be in Newport, RI, but rather Middletown, RI.

If that is true, call this one NOAA Middletown and avoid the silliness/potential confusion of Newport East and Newport West.

Last edited by ormari; Today at 10:50 AM..

Old Today, 10:52 AM

Yes, it will be at the Newport Naval Station, which makes sense.

I think the news just goes for what most people will recognize geographically. I remember when the HGTV big lottery home was built "in Newport" but it was actually in Middletown. We had a thread on it.

Old Today, 11:02 AM

3,853 posts, read 2,719,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

I think the news just goes for what most people will recognize geographically. I remember when the HGTV big lottery home was built "in Newport" but it was actually in Middletown. We had a thread on it.
I don’t think think this is the media’s “fault.”

“Naval Station Newport“ spans across the municipal line, situated in both Newport and Middletown. That explains the Navy’s nomenclature and is reasonable. If the NOAA base is all in Portsmouth, the name should follow, but probably won’t, due to the Naval legacy of the place. I may not like it, but I get it.

Old Today, 01:16 PM

4,433 posts, read 3,215,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

LOl, not even Middletown, but Portsmouth. Like HGTV thinks all of Aquidneck Island is Newport

Old Today, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the correction- it was Portsmouth- a while ago, I couldn't remember...

Newport County covers all these areas... https://www.mappr.co/counties/rhode-...-counties-map/

Last edited by Hollytree; Today at 03:42 PM..

Old Today, 08:16 PM

17,848 posts, read 9,277,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
LOl, not even Middletown, but Portsmouth. Like HGTV thinks all of Aquidneck Island is Newport
It's perfectly acceptable. Even within RI (e.g., when in Providence), it's acceptable to call it Newport. Though not when on the Island or nearby.

Old Today, 08:32 PM

23,730 posts, read 18,816,008 times
People also refer to the beaches as "Newport" probably more often than they say "Middletown".

Old Today, 08:37 PM

17,848 posts, read 9,277,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
People also refer to the beaches as "Newport" probably more often than they say "Middletown".
Absolutely. Only 1st Beach is technically Newport...but they're all Newport.

Old Today, 08:38 PM

23,730 posts, read 18,816,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's perfectly acceptable. Even within RI (e.g., when in Providence), it's acceptable to call it Newport. Though not when on the Island or nearby.

Yeah, I can understand how the transplants might not get it but there's no excuse for the alleged "lifetime" RI residents to not get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island