Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 02:32 PM

12,907 posts, read 22,068,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Point is that no rational person would suggest that places like Woonsocket and West Warwick are desirable places and that they can't accurately be described as on the trashy side of things. I repeat that pretty much EVERY city or town of significant size is going to have some OKish areas, some people here are being deceptive by suggesting that Woonsocket (or WW) is unique in that regard and a decent city to relocate to. It is not. People go there for affordability and nothing else.
  1. Who has suggested Woonsocket or West Warwick is "desirable?"
  2. Who has suggested Woonsocket or West Warwick is unique in having "some OKish areas?"
The answer is nobody. You're triggered when you call a place "trashy" and anyone says something that doesn't fall 100% in line with your opinion. So you make up boogeymen like the "people" allegedly "deceiving" posters about Woonsocket or WW to argue with. In the real world, many people live safe and comfortable lives in West Warwick or Woonsocket (yes, partly because they're relatively affordable), even if neither of those places is likely to land on a "best of" list anytime soon. It's perfectly OK to acknowledge that.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:33 PM

5,243 posts, read 6,167,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Wow, talk about inaccuracy!

Old 04-16-2024, 02:42 PM

23,673 posts, read 18,782,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Wow, talk about inaccuracy!

How about offering constructive debate or a counterargument instead of crying "inaccuracy!" every time something you don't like gets posted.

What do YOU think is the worst city in RI? Personally I would rank Central Falls as the worst, but everybody is entitled to their own criteria.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
  2. Who has suggested Woonsocket or West Warwick is unique in having "some OKish areas?"
The answer is nobody. You're triggered when you call a place "trashy" and anyone says something that doesn't fall 100% in line with your opinion. So you make up boogeymen like the "people" allegedly "deceiving" posters about Woonsocket or WW to argue with. In the real world, many people live safe and comfortable lives in West Warwick or Woonsocket (yes, partly because they're relatively affordable), even if neither of those places is likely to land on a "best of" list anytime soon. It's perfectly OK to acknowledge that.

Actually, the poster above you has more or less suggested both of those on multiple occasions.

I am not triggered at all. But I stand by what I have said. I expect those challenging me, to put up a better counterargument than "oh well there are a few nice streets here and there" or shout "inaccurate!" at every post they don't like.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:48 PM

17,807 posts, read 9,247,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You can't even acknowledge that you were living in a slummy area in East Boston.

I don't know if you're delusional or if you're just trying to be politically correct, but neither is acceptable.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:51 PM

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...erm=Woonsocket

Old 04-16-2024, 02:54 PM

17,807 posts, read 9,247,915 times
"Woonsocket

a place where you can get your crack, a hooker, and a gallon of milk at the same store. watch out you might find an abandon baby here and there. just leave it there, it probably has aids or a 12 year old mom

i need some meth an cookies, i will go to woonsocket!

by its_ok_im_a_chicken_nugget February 3, 2017"

Old 04-16-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Actually, the poster above you has more or less suggested both of those on multiple occasions.

I am not triggered at all. But I stand by what I have said. I expect those challenging me, to put up a better counterargument than "oh well there are a few nice streets here and there" or shout "inaccurate!" at every post they don't like.
Care to share examples?

From what I've seen, the formula is as follows:
  • You/plum call an entire city or town "trashy" (or something along those lines)
  • Other posters point out that the town has some redeeming qualities (i.e. some affordable, livable neighborhoods)
  • You/plum cry those posters are "dishonest!" imply financial interest as the only reason someone could take such a stance, and bombard the thread with news articles, urban dictionary definitions, and youtube videos to try to prove your point.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out that decent people can/do live decent lives in places like West Warwick or Woonsocket. That's just reality. Nobody has tossed those places out as "amazing!" or "must live!" And nobody has denied those places have their share of blight, crime, drug use, etc. They've just pointed out that that's not what life is like for many/most of the people living there. I'm not sure why it triggers such a reactive response from you two?

Old 04-16-2024, 03:10 PM

5,243 posts, read 6,167,545 times
Quote:
Wow, Posting links like this continue to provide harmful inaccuracies to this forum and provide so much misinformation.

Issues with content
Urban Dictionary has been criticized for hosting and failing to remove offensive submissions, including ones containing racist and sexist content.[12] For example, the abundance of racist definitions of "aboriginal" prompted a petition calling for their removal on Change.org which received over 7,000 signatures.[13]
Urban Dictionary's guidelines list "hate speech, bullying, or any other statements meant to discriminate or incite violence against others" as a reportable offense.[14]

Old 04-16-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You can't even acknowledge that you were living in a slummy area in East Boston.

I don't know if you're delusional or if you're just trying to be politically correct, but neither is acceptable.
So it's not "acceptable" to point out that people can/do live comfortable lives in Woonsocket or West Warwick? Why not? Are you saying that that's untrue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island