Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 04:45 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,082,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
I get text alerts for all my credit card purchases. if I don't get an alert then it didn't happen so claiming some charge happened on my account (minus an alert) is a huge red flag.

also, I can immediately access my accounts online to verify any alleged activity. same with banking
Same. I finally put a two step verification on my email account because Microsoft alerted me that quite a few people from different countries were trying to get into my email. Microsoft even sent a code to my phone to make sure I was the actual owner of the account. Like you, my bank and credit card companies send me alerts about purchases I made and ask "did you authorize this?"

There is a special place in the universe for scammers and it makes hell seem like a vacation spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 06:06 PM

12,138 posts, read 8,529,190 times
I had fun with a kid one time who tried to pull the "Hello Grandma" scam on me. I have no grandchildren; my children aren't married and are of northern European ancestry.

The young man fast-talking me spoke Ebonics and had the classic African intonation. So I took a guess it probably wasn't a grandchild. Also I was familiar with the scam.

At least I used up some of the time he might have spent scamming someone else.

Thanks, OP, for publishing this warning. We all need a reminder sometimes. Especially those of us who remember when you could take most people at their word.

I always hope there's an especially miserable consequence in store for people who take advantage of Seniors.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:14 PM

11,988 posts, read 6,275,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just got a new one yesterday. Received a text that scheduled USPS delivery of a high dollar value purchase had failed due to an "incorrect address". I was directed to respond to sender with my correct full name & address so they could re-direct the delivery. No ffing way!
I got that one recently.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:38 PM

5,470 posts, read 4,103,503 times
Reminder, never click on a link you get by text. And just a reminder, experts say young people are more likely to get scammed than older people. I like to think we have built up some common sense. Maybe it's just that old people might have more money to lose.

The latest one I have heard of is the task scam. You get a "job" leaving reviews for hotels, businesses etc and get paid in crypto. At some point you need to "upgrade" your account by putting in your own money to the crypto wallet. Guess what, it is gone now. Variation of the pig butchering scam, you need to add money before you can take out your "profit" (which is fake).

Old 05-10-2024, 10:02 PM

17,693 posts, read 13,512,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
The scam has gone on for years and years - and been posted about MANY times. I would think most folks know this by now.
Never hurts to educate those who don't and remind those who do to be careful

Old 05-10-2024, 10:13 PM

2,928 posts, read 2,179,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Reminder, never click on a link you get by text. And just a reminder, experts say young people are more likely to get scammed than older people. I like to think we have built up some common sense. Maybe it's just that old people might have more money to lose.

The latest one I have heard of is the task scam. You get a "job" leaving reviews for hotels, businesses etc and get paid in crypto. At some point you need to "upgrade" your account by putting in your own money to the crypto wallet. Guess what, it is gone now. Variation of the pig butchering scam, you need to add money before you can take out your "profit" (which is fake).

here is an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKOoqNdlQ8o

Old 05-10-2024, 10:25 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,137,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

Example: "Cousin Bill, you're in jail?? Oh no! Should I call Coretta and tell her?" (Your real cousin is married to Louise). If they fall for it, you nailed them. Then hang up.
Reminds me of a scene in Terminator 2.

The Terminator: [to John; normal voice] What's the dog's name?
John Connor: Max.
The Terminator: [impersonating John's voice] Hey Janelle, what's wrong with Wolfie? I can hear him barking. Is he all right?
Janelle Voight: Wolfie's fine, honey. Wolfie's just fine. Where are you?
The Terminator: [hangs up the phone] Your foster parents are dead.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:22 AM

12,138 posts, read 8,529,190 times
I've run into two within the last year that were inside jobs. Called Spectrum with a problem and was referred to an unneeded "repairman" who said he couldn't help me but he could hook me up with a woman who could. After a few minutes with her I started to feel uncomfortable and told her to never mind that I'd take care of it myself. Her last words to me before I hung up were, "No. Wait!"

The other was a Mastercard I applied for that arrived with a purchase charge on it. I was advised by my bank to pay the charge or risk a mark on my credit score! I never did get any explanation or resolution of that issue.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:07 PM

30,423 posts, read 23,880,742 times
If you want people to see the latest scams, and someone ruining the scammers' day, direct them to Jim Browning on YouTube.

He doesn't just toy with them like many others, he gets into their system, sometimes gets names of victims and contacts them, but has been able to contact victims in the middle of being scammed and saves them from financial ruin. He has also been able to shut down their operations, and get some of them arrested.

But again, most importantly, he details all the latest scams. For those who are naive and/or too trusting, his channel will open their eyes and keep them from becoming a victim.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:53 PM

11,988 posts, read 6,275,996 times
Wrong thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement