Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 02:11 PM
JRR

8,184 posts, read 5,700,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My property taxes have stayed pretty much the same, even though or home has gone up significantly in value and was recently reassessed. Yay! My HO insurance however went up about 40% this year. It wasn't that high to begin with, but 40% is a lot. Time to check out those coverages I think.
Our property taxes have gone up about 10% total since we moved here in 2017 (including a reassessment in 2021). So I can't complain too much about that. We pay both city and county taxes.

Our homeowners insurance went up about 17% for 2024
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM

6,786 posts, read 5,101,179 times
Thank you to all of the respondents here. Digging into the details of several states is quite a lot of work, and the rules can be difficult to understand in some cases. This thread gives a good starting point, confirming some of my current understanding plus adding new information.

Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

5,207 posts, read 3,136,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Arizona freezes property valuations for those 65 and older.
Valuation may be frozen but the millage rate can be increased so property taxes can and do go up. There is also an income qualifier, so the freeze is not available to people with incomes over $44K ($55K for couples).

It’s a nice gesture, but in reality it offers little relief from the greedy taxman.

Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

14,438 posts, read 14,382,622 times
I'm considering buying a second home in San Antonio, Texas which is near family. What has got me thinking twice about it are the high property taxes in Texas. Texas does not have an income tax, but funds government with high property taxes. Taxes on a $300,000 home are over $7K.

Local government costs money. I personally would prefer that it be funded from an income tax than from these property taxes. Property taxes continue whether one is earning a high salary or not. Income taxes are totally income dependent.

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

8,021 posts, read 3,955,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm considering buying a second home in San Antonio, Texas which is near family. What has got me thinking twice about it are the high property taxes in Texas. Texas does not have an income tax, but funds government with high property taxes. Taxes on a $300,000 home are over $7K.

Local government costs money. I personally would prefer that it be funded from an income tax than from these property taxes. Property taxes continue whether one is earning a high salary or not. Income taxes are totally income dependent.
That's because a property tax is a WEALTH tax. Wealth taxes are pernicious and have numerous negative consequences.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

24,769 posts, read 11,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

That is not bad for Texas. You may want to dig a bit deeper into the various components of that tax.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

6,365 posts, read 7,805,026 times
In Idaho, under specific conditions, it is possible for a senior to defray property taxes on their residence until they die. At that time, all past property taxes are due.

Many long-timers in Idaho complain about high property taxes. Coming from California, I will never complain about my property tax in Idaho. My current amount is about a quarter what I was paying in California seven years ago.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old Today, 05:35 AM

4,166 posts, read 3,091,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
In Idaho, under specific conditions, it is possible for a senior to defray property taxes on their residence until they die. At that time, all past property taxes are due.

Many long-timers in Idaho complain about high property taxes. Coming from California, I will never complain about my property tax in Idaho. My current amount is about a quarter what I was paying in California seven years ago.
That has the potential to be an unpleasant surprise for the heirs, with the potential for the unpaid property taxes to be greater than the value of the estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement