Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I am in West Virginia they say NO! I have to be Absorbed....what ever that means grrrr
It means you have to contact the housing authority where you want to move to and ask them if they are absorbing. Absorbing meaning they will be responsible for taking over the cost of subsidizing your rent. So it doesn't mean you can't move, it just means where ever you move to, that place has to agree to absorb.

If the agency says they will absorb, you ask your worker to forward your paperwork to that housing authority; then you wait for the new HA to send you forms via mail, about two weeks or more. You return forms to them via mail. The new HA will then get back to you, at some point, saying yay or nay, with an appointment date for you to come in for your new voucher.

It's that simple. Step 1 call intended area HA ask for portability counselor
Ask said counselor....."ARE YOU ABSORBING?"

Links to Housing Authority Websites - PHADA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM

87 posts, read 212,870 times
Your welcome, In today's economy it goes by each county in every state. Most Offices now are not absorbing BUT the key too this is ask your home office you are with now if they are accepting billing, Which means the new county you move too bills the previous office.If you leave before your lease is up a doctors letter sending you home for either family support or health reasons you should be ok but make sure either the office your going too "absorbs " OR Your office your coming from accepts billing.AND the other tough fit I'm finding is find out the counties rent standard for however many bedrooms voucher you have. I run into 2 issues in every county. Either the rent standard is too low and you end up in a ghetto area or Landlords refuse too take section 8. Unfortunately allot on section 8 gave us a bad reputation by destroying homes .There is ALLOT of foot work involved in porting out. Be cautious and get all your ducks lined up because Ive dag near lost my voucher once. Hope it helps. If ya need PM me anytime.

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...YOUR ANSWER FINALLY FILLS IN MOST OF THE BLANKS FOR ME...

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT ABOUT "PORTING" OUT OF CALIFORNIA BUT GET CAUGHT BETWEEN OREGON H.U.D. TELLING ME TO ASK CALIFORNIA...AND VICE VERSA...WITHOUT GETTING ANYWHERE.

I am originally from Oregon, and have lived in San Diego, CA for over 30 years, since the Navy landed me here, and 15 of those years I have been on HUD - Section 8 Housing. I have desperately wanted to move 'home' for about 5 years now...
I cannot take the heat in Southern Cal any longer, the dry weather, the lack of greenery & mountains & streams, not to mention the political and financial downfall of the California government to run it's state productively. (Or with a lick of sense...like we on a fixed income have to!!!) Oregon may not be better...but it will be different...and I love the weather!!!

IN THE 2 YEARS SINCE I HAVE STARTED LOOKING INTO MOVING WITH MY SECTION 8 HOUSING...I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN A CLEAR ANSWER TO MY QUESTION ABOUT "PORTING" TO ANOTHER STATE...NOT FROM EMAILING OREGON H.U.D...NOT FROM ANY Q & A WEBSITE...and... NOT EVEN FROM MY OWN CALIF. H.U.D. CASE WORKER...!!! (She said ask Oregon to explain!)

BUT NOW....NOW...THANKS TO YOU...

I HAVE SOME UNDERSTANDING AND A PLACE TO START...ANY "COUNTY" IN OREGON !!!

I think I'm gonna put one foot in front of the other ...and...BUST A MOVE!!!

Warm Thanks Again, Your Answer is Much Appreciated!!![/quote]

Old 05-25-2011, 02:19 PM

487 posts, read 1,357,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIbornNBred View Post
If you leave before your lease is up a doctors letter sending you home for either family support or health reasons you should be ok
Are there really Doctors out there who will perjure themselves and assist in Section-8 Fraud?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:24 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Are there really Doctors out there who will perjure themselves and assist in Section-8 Fraud?
Some do all the time with disability fraud so why would this be any different?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:27 PM

87 posts, read 212,870 times
I was just answering KuriousKind reply. They stated there from Oregon sooo there is probably family there. How did we get too the assumption of fraud ? It was never ment as that just help.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
My sons Dr been after us for yrs to move to MD....Says He would have a better opertunity to get help with his medical problems! So YES there are LEgal Reasons for moving & breaking Leases! & Hes already offered to write a letter to the LL.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
My sons Dr been after us for yrs to move to MD....Says He would have a better opertunity to get help with his medical problems! So YES there are LEgal Reasons for moving & breaking Leases! & Hes already offered to write a letter to the LL.
A letter from a doctor to the landlord does not provide a legal reason to break a lease.

If the doctor has been suggesting a move for "years", why not just move when the lease is up?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 PM

How many HUD Empty apts do YOU think will be Avalible when your old lease is up? NONE!! Most have huge wait lists & when your name comes up 99 chances are You will be in the Middle of a yr lease! PLUS the local HUDs have to do tons of paperwork fot the transfer You have to give notice to old apt bla bla bla.... So the Only way you can move is do the paper work get on list & give notice to move when you name is called! We back in Aug transfered to a 2 bedroom from a 1 bed room Just doing transfer was a huge pain dates got changed several times & that was local Hud & the Same apt mgr! weeks after the move we were still getting minor things fixed in the new apt! HUD insp & approved But I kept finding things not right! Like my beroom window wasnt closed right pantry shelves fell down UGH Then the mgr got mad at me for Rushing her!! Cripe We wernt even to move til end Sept!! She the one that handed me the keys End Aug told me we had 5 days to change apts of pay FULL rent on the 1 bedroom apt!! [witch...grr] NOW Picture the same MESS between 2 states?!?!?!

BTW I still on the WAIT list to move to MD!! After 3 yrs I think we are #8.... We are Not holding our breath!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
How many HUD Empty apts do YOU think will be Avalible when your old lease is up? NONE!! Most have huge wait lists & when your name comes up 99 chances are You will be in the Middle of a yr lease! PLUS the local HUDs have to do tons of paperwork fot the transfer You have to give notice to old apt bla bla bla.... So the Only way you can move is do the paper work get on list & give notice to move when you name is called! We back in Aug transfered to a 2 bedroom from a 1 bed room Just doing transfer was a huge pain dates got changed several times & that was local Hud & the Same apt mgr! weeks after the move we were still getting minor things fixed in the new apt! HUD insp & approved But I kept finding things not right! Like my beroom window wasnt closed right pantry shelves fell down UGH Then the mgr got mad at me for Rushing her!! Cripe We wernt even to move til end Sept!! She the one that handed me the keys End Aug told me we had 5 days to change apts of pay FULL rent on the 1 bedroom apt!! [witch...grr] NOW Picture the same MESS between 2 states?!?!?!

BTW I still on the WAIT list to move to MD!! After 3 yrs I think we are #8.... We are Not holding our breath!
I feel very much the same way about accepting new Section 8 tenants.

My reason is the program has changed so much to the Landlord's detriment... it really isn't worth all the extra trouble.

Case in point... I had a tenant move out of the county... they gave proper notice and all was OK... then they amended the notice and yet again amended the notice....

I purpose of notice if for the Landlord to be able to efficiently schedule work and market... it hardly helps at all if the move out date keeps changing...

To make matters worse... the tenant did not vacate my unit to the Tenth of the month and I was never notified by anyone that the other Housing Authority started the contract on the First...

Three weeks later, I receive and official demand letter for over payment of Ten days rent and threat of collection... for the ten days the tenant was still in my home...

California Law says deposits to be settled in 21 days and the new Housing Authority would not confirm the move in citing privacy laws...

So the only person that could have or should have told me was my tenant... and she didn't... and under the law, I had already settle the deposit.

It really isn't worth all the trouble when you there are non subsidized tenants waiting for vacancies.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:27 AM

LOL Funny the headaches on my recent moves were cause by Non-HUD tenants!

Lady in the apt we now live in gave notice she was moving as soon as her lease was up.... Rent was spec for 1 yr for $600 & she couldnt afford $200 increase. In the meantime tenate in 1 bedromm apt just up and moved without warning cause she lost her job....went 600 miles away to live with her sister & family. So instead of the lady in whats now my apt moving to MD she moved into the now empty apt. & Mgr allowed her to move 1 month early!! ALSO she had a tenant that needed a 1 bedroom downstairs! They got my old apt! Which thru us into Rush Rush!! Of ALL of these transfers & the one moving to her sister I was the only HUD tenant...So I got the Blame for Anything that went wrong!!
My fault cause when she changed the Dates the lady in the HUD office was on vacation! My fault when she came back & Rushed the paper work the guy that does insp for HUD was on his vacations!! My fault that the people that were comming to help were busy that weekend she Forced us to move! CRIPE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting