Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 05:50 AM

15,484 posts, read 9,167,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you change locks and the landlord can’t get in or you block the door and no one can get in it’s a modification unless approved by the landlord
Yes, changing the locks would get me evicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 08:48 AM

6,840 posts, read 11,595,458 times
Google “no drill door locks.” Plenty of inexpensive options from bars you lean against the door to things you slip between the door and the jamb.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:45 AM

32,703 posts, read 48,261,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Every place I ever rented, I put a chain lock on the doors, on the inside.

That's not changing of the locks, ............
No, but it is drilling holes into the framework of the door, and that is damage, and it can be fairly expensive damage to repair. The OP has never said that the maintenance people barge in without giving notice that they are going to be there and they knock before they come in. There is no reason to try to chain them out,

Old 05-11-2024, 09:50 AM

32,703 posts, read 48,261,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
.........Recently I got a less than 24 hour notice for a "requested" repair. I headed to the office to find out what that was about. They wanted to replace my dishwasher, which I had never requested be done. There was nothing wrong with my old dishwasher, but they seem to like to do stuff like that a lot. I guess it so the manager can show that she is doing something.
So your complaint is that they gave you less than 24 hours notice in order to give you a brand new dishwasher? You probably got as much notice as they did that the new dishwasher was being delivered. When I get appliances, I hear the night before and I don't even get a time until 8 AM of delivery day. You get your dishwasher when the delivery people schedule the delivery, and the delivery people are not concerned about any inconvenience. They assume that if you are getting a new appliance delivered, it is because you wanted a new appliance so you will make the time to receive it.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:02 AM

24,769 posts, read 11,091,125 times
This is one of OP's "I want the last word" threads about access.
What is the big deal? Maintenance comes in, does their thing and leaves. OP is not going to get dressed up and set up a buffet for them. Bottle of water might be nice though and a friendly word. You never know when you NEED maintenance.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:30 AM

14,570 posts, read 12,238,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
They knock four times, then open the door and then they yell like cops doing a no knock raid. The chain was removed from my door before I moved in. All that is left is the screw holes. Putting a chain on the door would definitely be an alteration that would get me written up.

Knocking 4 times and then yelling to announce they're coming in is as conscientious as they can be.

I don't know why you think existing screw holes means you would be written up. All it means to me is past tenants evidently had one.

I wouldn't have a problem asking my landlord about these issues.

Not sure what you're hoping for from us, you seem to not like of the ideas offered for dealing with it.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So your complaint is that they gave you less than 24 hours notice in order to give you a brand new dishwasher? You probably got as much notice as they did that the new dishwasher was being delivered. When I get appliances, I hear the night before and I don't even get a time until 8 AM of delivery day. You get your dishwasher when the delivery people schedule the delivery, and the delivery people are not concerned about any inconvenience. They assume that if you are getting a new appliance delivered, it is because you wanted a new appliance so you will make the time to receive it.
A brand new dishwasher that I didn't request to replace a dishwasher that worked just fine. They also tried to replace my stove, but I convinced them not to. When I told them that I have only used it a handful of times ever, and it's in a like new condition.

This is inconvenience with no benefit to me. That's why I'm not happy. How would you like people barging into your home on 15 hours notice to replace stuff that you don't want replaced? I have a feeling you wouldn't be too happy about it.

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
This is one of OP's "I want the last word" threads about access.
What is the big deal? Maintenance comes in, does their thing and leaves. OP is not going to get dressed up and set up a buffet for them. Bottle of water might be nice though and a friendly word. You never know when you NEED maintenance.
Actually, you do have to be dressed up and awake. That's in the notice, literally. There is more though. It doesn't affect me, but all children must be out of the apartment. These are family apartments and children live here. Parents are expected to find child care for the children during these times, from 8AM to 6PM, oh and often the notice is for more than one day at a time. Because they say they can't know when maintenance will arrive.

It's not just me who is irritated by this nonsense. I have neighbors who want to move out, not because of the apartment. Everybody here loves their apartments, but they hate the management. But I get it, this is the price to pay for living in a subsidized apartment.

Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Knocking 4 times and then yelling to announce they're coming in is as conscientious as they can be.

I don't know why you think existing screw holes means you would be written up. All it means to me is past tenants evidently had one.

I wouldn't have a problem asking my landlord about these issues.

Not sure what you're hoping for from us, you seem to not like of the ideas offered for dealing with it.
The door chains were removed by the management. I have been told that by one of the maintenance guys.

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Google “no drill door locks.” Plenty of inexpensive options from bars you lean against the door to things you slip between the door and the jamb.
Googling that, most of those don't look like they would work very well. I could probably make something better myself for free. The only problem is if they tried to force their way in and damaged the door, I would probably get billed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting