Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2024, 08:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I have been living in my current apartment for about 3 years now. It's a nice apartment in a nice area and for the most part I love it. I have dealt with a bad neighbor before that would decide at 3AM that it was workout time such as blasting music and doing jumping exercises right over my bed. I would tap on the ceiling and he would stomp back. My super talked to him a couple times but luckily he decided to move out a couple months later.

It's been fairly quiet besides the upstairs neighbors pitbull running around sometimes. But now, I have a downstairs neighbor that moved in. It's been constantly issues with noise. They clearly have a surround sound or loud soundbar and decide to blast action movies from the time I get home from work around 6PM, sometimes until 2AM (per the lease quiet hours start at 10PM).

I don't feel comfortable going downstairs and knocking on their door (don't know what people are capable of). I have tried stomping on the floor hoping they would get the hint, but not so much. I have sent texts 4 times to my super and each time he says he would go chat with them. That hasn't worked so much. I can take some noise given I live in an apartment and it's just the way it is. I don't care if people have parties sometimes and get a bit loud, I do the same. When I play video games, I wear a headset so I don't disturb neighbors with gunfire til all hours of the night. When watching TV I keep the volume lower. I'm gone most of the day at work and go to bed around 12 and I'm not super active around the apartment.

My question, what else can I do at this point? Leave a note? Contact the building management? NYC has 311 to complain about noise, but not sure if that's taking it to far to send cops to their place. I just grow tired of having to hear constant rumbling and explosions every night. I don't want to start some war, I just want it to stop. Any help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Hello all. I have been living in my current apartment for about 3 years now. It's a nice apartment in a nice area and for the most part I love it. I have dealt with a bad neighbor before that would decide at 3AM that it was workout time such as blasting music and doing jumping exercises right over my bed. I would tap on the ceiling and he would stomp back. My super talked to him a couple times but luckily he decided to move out a couple months later.

It's been fairly quiet besides the upstairs neighbors pitbull running around sometimes. But now, I have a downstairs neighbor that moved in. It's been constantly issues with noise. They clearly have a surround sound or loud soundbar and decide to blast action movies from the time I get home from work around 6PM, sometimes until 2AM (per the lease quiet hours start at 10PM).

I don't feel comfortable going downstairs and knocking on their door (don't know what people are capable of). I have tried stomping on the floor hoping they would get the hint, but not so much. I have sent texts 4 times to my super and each time he says he would go chat with them. That hasn't worked so much. I can take some noise given I live in an apartment and it's just the way it is. I don't care if people have parties sometimes and get a bit loud, I do the same. When I play video games, I wear a headset so I don't disturb neighbors with gunfire til all hours of the night. When watching TV I keep the volume lower. I'm gone most of the day at work and go to bed around 12 and I'm not super active around the apartment.

My question, what else can I do at this point? Leave a note? Contact the building management? NYC has 311 to complain about noise, but not sure if that's taking it to far to send cops to their place. I just grow tired of having to hear constant rumbling and explosions every night. I don't want to start some war, I just want it to stop. Any help is much appreciated.
Hopefully you documented the noise and also the times you requested help from the super. If the super isn't doing their job, elevate.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
He got back to my 4th text saying he forgot to text me back and that he will speak with them again. The noise is back again. If it was a little on the louder side I wouldn't care if they stopped at 10PM or close to that. But I wear my gaming headphones and can hear it and feel it still. I'll keep documenting and reaching out to the super. If there is no change after a couple more tries I'll get it to the building management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting