Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 05:26 PM

8,410 posts, read 7,699,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post

We appreciate you trying to help us, but Fallon might not be our answer to moving. But, we will live close enough that we could drive there.
Have you read the articles about Reno and Carson City that I linked to, Babyboomers2? Lots of good info and insights in those articles about both cities to add to your research file. Have a good trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 05:34 PM

Babyboomers2, it seems you may have missed the articles about Reno and Carson City I linked to, so here they are again.

Old 05-16-2024, 08:45 AM

9,024 posts, read 20,443,782 times
RosieSD, haven't read the articles yet, but have (partially) watched a couple of YouTube videos where to young guys are showing both Carson City and Reno areas.

We have to, pretty much, make up our own minds about what area to move to after we visit next month. What we do know is, there are both "nice" and "not so nice" apartments in both Carson City and Reno. We are researching those apartments before we leave, so we don't have to spend so much time driving around to complexes that don't have what we need or want.

Ferney and Fallon just seem to be too small for us and too far away from the mountains/Sierras. Fallon has the Livestock Auction, but while my wife is working, we couldn't go there anyway. Livestock auctions are primarily held during the week, not on weekends. We visited Centennial Livestock Auction in Ft. Collins a couple of times, but that was it. I have a website on our desktop computer that shows all livestock auctions around America "live". Each auction has a "live" camera in the Sale Arena that shows all of the action.

Old 05-16-2024, 09:10 AM

Really nothing to do with "Northwest Bound", but do want to clarify retirement questioning:

My 1/2 brother stayed on his job with the State of PA and retired. He told me, "You find a job, you stay on it no matter what. No matter the hours you have to work and no matter if your job is changed." I told him, "You can do that, but I'm not. You worked for the State of PA and had job-security. No everyone can work for the city, county, state or national government. I've been laid-off and had a couple of companies close after I quit. Nothing I could do about that!". He didn't know what to say, but did say "have to go" to me on the phone.

I started making a descent hourly wage to late in life. My highest hourly salary was $15.50 per hour at 55 years old. A job I started in 1982, I was being paid $5.00 per hour, and for an Electronics Stockroom Clerk, that was good money and I survived on it and a yearly raise for 4 years, but ended up being laid-off and the company closed.

My wife was on the same job for 15 years, but got laid-off. She went back to college and got her Bachelors Degree in Accounting/Business Admin. in 1997 when she was 48 years old. Her very best salary, in her life, she is getting right now at 76 years old, working from home.

Only monthly income I get is my SS, which is pretty low. My wife get a very small Pension (not even $200) each month, but does get a very nice SS income along with her "at home" job. I wasn't able to save a penny, due to low hourly wage, but my wife was very different due to her much, much higher income.

We have moved around due to different things, including weather. Lots of people "move around" for different reasons, including job transfer and/or taking care of a family member whose health is bad. Even though we love professional rodeo, farming (which I was raised on/around in northeastern Indiana) and ranching stuff, doesn't mean we want to, or can, live in the middle of it. We love rodeo and wearing western attire.

So, there you have it.

Old 05-16-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
RosieSD, haven't read the articles yet, but have (partially) watched a couple of YouTube videos where to young guys are showing both Carson City and Reno areas.

We have to, pretty much, make up our own minds about what area to move to after we visit next month.
Oh, I know that you've already made up your mind to move to Reno or Carson City. I'm not trying to dissuade you from that plan at all. It's a beautiful area!

However, having watched you be so surprised by and upset with the growth in Loveland, CO and Henderson, NV, it might be a good idea to also have some concrete facts about growth in Reno and Carson City on hand before you move, so you can make an INFORMED decision this time around instead of basing your decision based on your gut instinct and YouTube videos (which by the way, I shared with you earlier!).

So, since you don't have time to read the articles, I'll do you a favor and post some key excerpts for you so you won't be blindsided again like you were in moving to both Loveland and Henderson.

I'll do the excerpts for Reno first, and then Carson City. Overall, Carson City sounds like a better option for someone who hates growth as much as you do because they have a 3% annual cap on home building. That said, all of Northwestern Nevada is growing and, like in Henderson, a lot of that growth is being driven by people and companies moving from California.

Personally, I don't see growth as a bad thing; in fact, I view it as a sign that an area is a great place to live. But I know, like you, not everyone agrees. Heck, the LA Times even ran an article last year with the headline "Californians are Pouring Into Northern Nevada. Not Everyone Is Happy."

OK, I'm off to pack for my trip to Fort Collins! Good luck with your scouting trip.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-16-2024 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-16-2024, 11:26 AM

RENO ARTICLE EXCERPTS FOR BABYBOOMERS2

Reno climbed to the 18th spot in U-Haul’s annual index of top growth cities in America, one of two Nevada cities to make the list. Reno, which did not make the top 25 in 2021, rose in the rankings after seeing an increase in people moving into the area and a decrease in the number of people moving out. The other Nevada city to make the list was Henderson.

Reno has always been a popular destination, especially among Californians. The trend accelerated even more after COVID-19 resulted in the rise of remote work.

--------
Reno 3rd most popular city for companies leaving California

From 1990 to 2019, 2,832 California companies moved to Las Vegas, followed by New York at 1,455 and Reno at 1,908. Henderson also welcomed 771...

====

A new report from Washington D.C.-based economic and demographic data firm Woods & Poole Economics, Inc. projects that the population of several U.S. metro areas is likely to swell by over 50% in the coming decades.

...the population of the Reno metro area in Nevada is projected to grow from 504,000 in 2022 to 764,100 in 2060. The 51.6% projected population growth in the metro area is the 40th highest of all 384 U.S. metro areas.

--------

Nevada continues to lead the nation in employment growth at 3.8 percent over the past year, according to July data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. While Reno’s job growth over the past decade has focused more on diversification, recent growth can best be characterized by higher-wage industries like healthcare, technology, manufacturing and aerospace/aviation.

Notable company relocations and expansions last year (2023) include OMEC Medical, a life sciences instrument manufacturer; Edgecore, a wholesale data center developer, owner and operator; Generac, a leading global designer, manufacturer and provider of energy technology solutions; and Stellar Aviation, a fixed-base private airplane operator catering to private planes and jets. Companies investing in Reno most commonly appreciate the region’s attractive regulatory environment, low cost of doing business, access to regional transportation corridors and a high quality of life for its employees.

-------

Today, data centers represent one of the hottest sectors of industrial development in Northern Nevada. Apple kick-started regional data center development by investing more than $1 billion in its data center near Tahoe Reno Industrial Center.

Apple was quickly followed by large data centers from Switch and Google. EdgeCore Digital Infrastructure recently announced plans to construct a 1.5 million square-foot data center at TRIC, and Novva Data Centers has a 20-acre campus with 180,000 square-feet of data center space. And earlier this month, data center park investor Tract of Denver purchased 2,200 acres of land at TRIC to construct the largest data center park in Northern Nevada.

It’s a burgeoning industry that shows no sign of slowing, especially in today’s technology-driven world. Northern Nevada’s affordable costs for power and land, coupled with a pro-business and regulatory climate and lack of corporate income tax, are just a few of the reasons why the data center industry has proliferated in the region.

Taylor Adams, president and chief executive officer of Economic Development Authority of Western Nevada, told NNBW that the nascent industry has cemented itself in Northern Nevada and is here for the long term.

“We have created with our regional partners an environment that is right for this use,” Adams said. “We are one of the premier locations in America for data centers, and we are so excited to see the industry growing here.

“Northern Nevada is also 3 milliseconds away from the Bay Area for data transmission. There’s much better power pricing, and the development environment from a regulation perspective is far more predictable for the companies that are in the business of vertical construction and delivering data center facilities.”

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-16-2024 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-16-2024, 11:59 AM

CARSON CITY ARTICLE EXCERPTS FOR BABYBOOMERS2

Growth is a hot issue in Carson City, sparking public debate about resources and development. The city’s current population is slightly more than 58,000, according to the U.S. Census and Nevada State Demographer. The city’s growth management program, which began in 1978, caps the number of residential building permits to a 3 percent growth rate.

Using past methodology, city staff is recommending 765 permit allocations for 2024, approximately 788 for 2025, and 811 and 834 for 2026 and 2027, respectively.

“Based on modeling, the staff finds that there are 24,464 existing residential units in Carson City,” Sullivan said. “Based on existing zoning regulations and Master Plan policies, an additional 8,384 residential units could be developed city-wide. ”

Community Development projects a total buildout of 32,848 residential units would result in a population of approximately 76,207 by 2027.

---

Slated for development since 2006, the historic Lompa Ranch is slowly becoming a centrally-located neighborhood in Carson City.

On Wednesday, Carson City planning commissioners approved a tentative subdivision map known as Blackstone Ranch Phase 2 that would create 204 single-family lots between East Robinson Street and East Fifth Street, southeast of Carson High and west of I-580.

The approximately 58.52-acre property is zoned single-family 6,000 and multifamily duplex, and the minimum lot size for the project would be 6,000 square feet.

Founded in 1936, the Lompa Ranch bears the name of Simone “Sam” and Eva Lompa, who both had Swiss-Italian roots. They raised dairy cows and sheep on more than 800 acres, which eventually became about 400 acres as the city grew around the property.

In 2016, supervisors adopted the Lompa Ranch North Specific Plan outlining development for approximately 251 acres on both sides of I-580 north of East Fifth Street. Roughly 203 acres lie west of the interstate, with the remaining 48 acres on the east side of the interstate bordering Airport Road.

According to Carson City Community Development, up to 1,695 residences could be built in the northern area following guidelines of the specific plan. That includes both single-family and multifamily units: 1,195 units on the west side and 500 on the east side.

Old 05-16-2024, 12:10 PM

RoseSD, from every up-to-date article I've read, both Henderson and Las Vegas metro's are the fastest growing areas in Nevada and, from what we've seen, we do believe that. Now, not saying Reno isn't growing, but Reno still doesn't have the population increase that either Henderson or Las Vegas metro's have had and still have. There is, and continue to be, a huge population difference between Henderson/Vegas metro's and Carson City/Reno metro's.

We aren't against "progress" or "growth", but there are both positives and negatives with both. There are, most likely, "Old Timers" aka "long-time citizens" of Reno, that haven't liked what they seen Reno turn into. However, the same thing happened to Loveland area. The "Old Timers" aka "long-time citizens" of Loveland didn't like what Denver turned into (aka Colorado's version of Los Angeles), but the entire area of Loveland, Fort Collins and even Windsor is fast becoming like Denver as well.

If we can't find an apartment "to our liking" in Carson City, we will no choice but to look at Reno to move to. We just won't have the time to check out Sparks and other areas.

During the years both of us, before and after we met/married, lived in Orange County. There was all kinds of manufacturing/industry in the old Irvine area as well as the new/newer Irvine Spectrum area. That didn't really bother us at all. However, we were 24 years younger then (2000, when we met).

And, lastly, we will find out ourselves, first-hand, thru our visit, if the area is for us. But, for now, it totally is.

Thanks for you info, but sometimes I feel like you, and a few others, are trying to talk us out of moving up there. Teacher Terry and ChrisMT haven't ever done that. After they have read my posts, they seem to feel very confident that we will like it up there. Of course, like anyone asking about an area here on City-Data, we want to read positive things about an area much more than anything else. But, again, thanks for your information. Much appreciated!

Old 05-16-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
RoseSD, from every up-to-date article I've read, both Henderson and Las Vegas metro's are the fastest growing areas in Nevada and, from what we've seen, we do believe that.

Thanks for you info, but sometimes I feel like you, and a few others, are trying to talk us out of moving up there.
[quote=BabyBoomers2;66741132]RoseSD, from every up-to-date article I've read, both Henderson and Las Vegas metro's are the fastest growing areas in Nevada.

Babyboomers2, I have supported you in every move you've made over the last few years. I have never tried to talk you out of moving to any area you've chosen.

I just try to provide factual information to help you not get blindsided again by the same complaints you have had about places you've in the past when you make your next move. Growth and change are two of those dislikes that you have repeated complained about here in these forums going back to when you lived in Parker, Colorado five moves ago.

Perhaps, it's a matter of deciding whether you can tolerate growth and change in an area if the area fits you in other ways.

I hope so, as I would love to see you finally settle in and be happy. I've said that repeatedly to you over the years.

OK! Off to Fort Collins! Can't wait to see the wildflowers up in the Poudre Canyon!

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-16-2024 at 01:01 PM..

Old 05-16-2024, 01:18 PM

As far a progress and population goes in Loveland, that wasn't (necessarily) the reason we moved. Yes, I complained about both, but many seniors complain about everything that happens today. The main reason we moved was due to winters. Remember, we lived in Colorado twice. First time, an apartment in Englewood, then moved to a house in Parker. Second time, an apartment in Loveland. We seen heavy snowstorms, blizzards and below zero temps living in Colorado both times. In fact, last March, while still living in Loveland, at 7AM, it was minus 15 degrees one weekday and the following week, we got 35 inches of snow. I've got pictures and video of all winters in Englewood, Parker and Loveland. We do miss seeing the foothills that led into Rocky Mountain NP covered in snow. We miss boating on Chatfield Reservoir, Cherry Creek Reservoir and Boyd Lake.

Other thing is, we like, much, much more, meeting/being around rodeo, farm and ranch kids. To us, they simply seem to be more "down to earth" than big-city kids. We don't see all of tattoos, piercings all over the body, like city/big city kids today have. Then again, we are early (1948/1949) Baby Boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area