Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 02:48 PM

85 posts, read 133,014 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting the area in about a week. I am not sure what to expect from such a small pop. state capital? How is crime?

Old 07-05-2020, 03:00 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
Most of the crime is domestic or drug use type situations. The north end of Carson Street (Main) has weekly rental motels that can house some problem lifestyles in that small area.

I have lived in this area for most of my life and have never experienced any random crime, but I'm not hanging out in bad areas at 3:00am either....

Are you just visiting or are you looking at a possible relocation to this area? There are a few neighborhoods I would avoid living in...

Here is a link to CrimeMapping for Carson City-we have fantastic city leadership and services and this is a helpful resource:

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/nv/carsoncity

Like I said, I have NEVER experienced any crime other than eggs being thrown at my house or car many years ago...

Last edited by ChrisMT; 07-05-2020 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-05-2020, 05:24 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I like Reno much better than Carson.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I like Carson City much better than Reno. It depends on your lifestyle, right now smaller cities within 30 miles of larger cities are a hotter market with all of the unrest and virus restrictions.

My husband moved from Reno to Carson when we married, and he LOVES Carson City so much. He says this is the nicest city he has ever lived in. He previously resided in Las Vegas, Kingman AZ, Fallon and Reno.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 07-05-2020 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-05-2020, 07:01 PM

I like the variety Reno has for restaurants, activities, festivals, etc. Carson is too small for me. I absolutely hate Las Vegas. I passed up a promotion with the state because I would have had to move to Vegas. Good thing we all don’t like the same thing).

Old 07-06-2020, 11:56 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
I like Carson City much better than Reno. It depends on your lifestyle, right now smaller cities within 30 miles of larger cities are a hotter market with all of the unrest and virus restrictions.

My husband moved from Reno to Carson when we married, and he LOVES Carson City so much. He says this is the nicest city he has ever lived in. He previously resided in Las Vegas, Kingman AZ, Fallon and Reno.
It's all relative really...it's not like Reno/Sparks (250k+100k = 350k total combined) is a really large metro area.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:33 PM

But our traffic lights change twice as fast as Reno lights do.....

Not really any traffic jams in Carson.

Also, don't try to commit crimes here, you will most likely get caught pretty fast....

I think we have better city leadership from our board of supervisors, to law enforcement, school board, just a really nice low key and professional group that loves this city. Some of our leadership gives us their home phone number and email to contact them with any concerns.

The city is almost built out...no massive sprawl like Reno, yet we have every retail store you could need within a few minutes drive around town. If your an animal lover, Carson is the most dog friendly city ever, tons of trails around town to hike with your pet and our animal shelter is 'no kill'.

We have only one high school, so everyone grows up together and roots for each other.

Carson is just a special little town. If your younger and single, Reno is definitely more of a party town though...

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 10-28-2020 at 01:07 AM..

Old 07-06-2020, 04:43 PM

It just depends what you are looking for. Northern Nevada is really a nice place to live. Chris Carson’s shelter was originally a kill shelter and the manager was sadistic. It finally came to light because a woman arrived to get her dog that had escaped her house and they wanted a fee to return it. She didn’t have the money and said she would get it from friends and be back. The manager ordered the dog immediately killed. The owner went to the media and that was the beginning of the end. We had been no kill since 2006 because some very wealthy people made that happen. I think most of the Carson employees lost their jobs when Reno’s shelter took it over. Nevada has more pets per person than other states. Nevadans love their pets which is a good thing.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:17 PM

Yes, I remember that situation with the dog that was put down too soon...but look at our response. That is what I love about Carson City, we respond positively to issues and we keep working to make Carson City better and better with a high quality of life.

Carson is land poor, in that we are a small geographical area...yet our city is committed to preserving open space for natural habitat and trail systems and is constantly purchasing land to keep it from development and let the public enjoy it. I love that.

There is just a great attitude here, we take care of each other in all sorts of ways.

Carson City is very patriotic as well, which I love. Some citizens have been organizing 'Thank the Police' demonstrations downtown. I love that we appreciate our leadership and how they treat us with care

Old 07-06-2020, 10:11 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
I like Carson City much better than Reno.
Well OP, I hope this makes your decision much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area