Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 05:03 PM

5 posts, read 2,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I did online and met my husband that way. I developed a few rules to help me.

*Only be willing to meet people who live w/i 30 miles. Long distance is ridiculous
*no more than 3 exchanges/messages before meeting personally…some will waste your time or are scammers
*agree to meet for coffee or ice cream and agree in advance each gets their own & meet at a table; and limit to 30 minutes. That’s not expensive and enough time to know if there’s a good vibe.
Great points, I started last night and already ran into the 3 exchanges
Also would you mind sharing the app you used?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 06:42 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albedini View Post
Great points, I started last night and already ran into the 3 exchanges
Also would you mind sharing the app you used?
Thanks
I used Match.com

Old 04-01-2024, 08:41 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
I've never tried online dating but heard a lot so I waited for things to settle down to see if it's a good idea. I work from home and hardly anytime to go anywhere or meet anyone except maybe Friday night or something. Appreciate responses in advance

Dating apps are like brokering commodities. If you are a hot commodity, great. However if you are trying to sell an old lunchbox from a 70s TV show , only certain collectors will pay an interesting price and I doubt they can value it accurately.

Sounds like either way you need to get out.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 2,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Dating apps are like brokering commodities. If you are a hot commodity, great. However if you are trying to sell an old lunchbox from a 70s TV show , only certain collectors will pay an interesting price and I doubt they can value it accurately.

Sounds like either way you need to get out.
That's my other question, do you mean bars? Most of my dates have been coworkers - but I work from home and no coworkers now, friends - but nobody available right now, or meetups - but meetups here are 95% men since Covet or other reasons, which is why I'm giving online a shot but want to know the dos and don'ts in advance so I don't give up like a lot of people.
There maybe other places besides bars, but I'm not sure where these places would be. Seattle is not really a social place or at least in my opinion. In fact, thousands of people from other states have written horrible things about Seattle LOL. It's mainly bars, coffee shops, meetups. Most people I know have house parties and go out after midnight for one drink since it can cost a fortune.
Thanks

Old 04-01-2024, 10:56 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
That's my other question, do you mean bars?

Anywhere really. But bars are better than bars on the windows I suppose.

Quote:

Most of my dates have been coworkers - but I work from home and no coworkers now, friends - but nobody available right now, or meetups - but meetups here are 95% men since Covet or other reasons, which is why I'm giving online a shot but want to know the dos and don'ts in advance so I don't give up like a lot of people.
There maybe other places besides bars, but I'm not sure where these places would be. Seattle is not really a social place or at least in my opinion. In fact, thousands of people from other states have written horrible things about Seattle LOL. It's mainly bars, coffee shops, meetups. Most people I know have house parties and go out after midnight for one drink since it can cost a fortune.
Thanks

Again generally its going to work better if you look better on paper for the app. Don't know if that's you. You can boost that somewhat if you remove the selfies and have someone take photos and for a target demographic for dress and context in a place where she would want to be. Generally women should smile into a the camera alone. Men are best with photos of them looking at something, and fine with others in the background. Men like women interested in them and women like men with purpose etc.

Also just keep the profile simple and friendly. If you are a hot commodity on paper and photo you will go fast. if not , it will be more like scratching on a lotto IMHO. Hous parties are probably the same thing but in 3 dimensional terms. If you are charismatic and attractive in person you would go fast i would guess. if you go 3 times and talk to some people with nothing to show for it then the market has spoken for what you are seeking.

I did wholesale in the past so forgive me if I put it in these terms. Whenever I could buy a commodity below market prices the friction was very low to find buyers. However it needs to be advertised. If not then there is going to be a lot of friction and resources to find a buyer but you will be far more likely to actually sell it.

Seattle is close to wine county. Women like wine and you are near the Columbia Valley. That or something like that. Can't free up a Saturday? At least you will get out.

Kinda know what you mean though. I had jobs were more or less you would not see a girl. If you just went home for the week end like I did it was out of sight out of mind for me.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:16 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Thanks for your time and I added to may post hoping to make more sense. But the other problem here in Seattle is a person needs to be a millionaire just to run around. I sold my place and my 1 bedroom apartment rent just went up to $2,500 a month. Coffee or beer cost $10, cheap meals are twice as much and parking is around the same LOL. I used to meet people in coffee places and bars but I thought online might be better. I figured for the same amount of time I have to look for parking, a place to meet people etc., I could be meeting someone online, but I could be 100% wrong LOL
Thanks
You need to go out and meet people naturally and develop some hobbies if you don't have any. They don't need to be expensive and you can meet people naturally. Try an inexpensive sport. We started playing pickleball - doesn't cost you anything other than purchasing a paddle. You can go there alone and I promise you that you will meet people of all ages. We started playing 5 months ago and now know about 50 people by name. Or try soccer or basketball, they should be fairly cheap also. If you have a dog, go to the dog park, lots of girls there. Or borrow your neighbors dog

Old 04-20-2024, 11:09 PM

984 posts, read 525,406 times
My personal experience was wildly un good. It can be a huge waste of time, and having an algorithm handle the match making is a stupid idea. I did meet women that way, but if I had met them in real life, 5 minutes later I would never have wanted to date them. You have no real understanding of people if its based on a handful of likes and dislikes on a computer screen.

I've read that people have met and fallen in love that way, and it may happen occasionally, but I would have to be convinced of it, since I have never met anyone who had that happen to them.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:16 PM

187 posts, read 213,009 times
Dating apps can be good in larger cities. They also tend to attract impulsive people. Why does the head turner charismatic girl who gets approached daily really need to troll online?

Get a cute dog and some new clothes for self confidence. Get some good accurate photos. Take someone out for coffee ☕️ if that goes well offer a drink and an appetizer. See where it goes.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:43 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I'd never do it in a million years, but that's me. Too many chances for deception on their end. Now, I know it's dangerous out there even for regular, in-person meeting someone new & dating, but online seems even worse to me.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:19 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,042,443 times
Quote:
I've never tried online dating but heard a lot so I waited for things to settle down to see if it's a good idea. I work from home and hardly anytime to go anywhere or meet anyone except maybe Friday night or something. Appreciate responses in advance
I don't advise using online dating at all, for many reasons. Not only is it dangerous (to a certain extent) even if you're careful, but it isn't good for your overall self esteem and causes frustration and depression in some cases.

The best advice I can give you is to "make time" for yourself, and get out and date yourself for a while. Go out to eat, go to the movies, take a walk or start going to group activities. Singles groups often get together during the week, and on weekends. Find groups that do things you enjoy ie: dancing, hiking, kayaking, whatever you enjoy doing.

If you stop looking and don't feel all alone and depressed because you're single, someone will come along. Dating sites are backwards, there's a lot of rejection, lies, ghosting, etc. It's not healthy at all, and most probably won't get you anywhere except more loneliness and confusion.

You will end up talking to someone that appears to be a nice looking, funny, nice guy. Then you meet them and it's so not the person you thought, so it wastes valuable time for sure.

There are times when you will be so excited about someone and you talk and talk and talk for hours on end and everything seems so normal then you meet. You never speak again. It's the same thing over and over and all the people still out on dating sites are most probably the ones that were on there 5 years ago.

Stay away is all I can say. Seems desperate I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships