Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 07:29 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times

Advertisements

Last week I sent a lady friend of mine a text saying that I was thinking of her. She replied that the text made her uncomfortable. I replied that it’s probably best I don’t text her again because I can never know what will trigger her or not. Too extreme?

A bit of background: I’ve been friends with said lady for a couple of years now. In my reply I essentially told her that I acknowledged her reality, and that I never wish to be the cause of her discomfort. She said her feelings are at least in part due to symptoms of complex PTSD. This isn’t the first time this person perceived something I said in a manner that wasn’t how I intended it.

Perhaps I think it's best I abstain from any kind of relations with women outside of my family and job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 08:32 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
How do you extrapolate her issues into the conclusion of staying away from all women?

Old 03-13-2024, 08:57 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Last week I sent a lady friend of mine a text saying that I was thinking of her. She replied that the text made her uncomfortable. I
It's kind of a weird thing to say, and if I got such a message from a female friend, I'd assume she was hitting on me. Do you want a relationship with her? Be honest.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:41 PM

126 posts, read 59,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
It's kind of a weird thing to say, and if I got such a message from a female friend, I'd assume she was hitting on me. Do you want a relationship with her? Be honest.
I agree.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:59 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Was your message just "I'm thinking of you", or something like "Have you seen/heard XYZ? I did and it made me think of you." (referencing an obvious inside joke between you two)

The former would feel weird. If you got a text from a male friend that simply said "I'm thinking of you", how would you react?

I'm female and occasionally get texts from female friends that send an image or whatever, followed by "this made me think of you". Typically I'm either humored or flattered.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:27 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Why did you post this under relationships if it is platonic?

Old 03-14-2024, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
How do you extrapolate her issues into the conclusion of staying away from all women?
Honestly this is just the latest instance in a years-long string of instances that seem to be indicative of my not so good luck in dealing with women, whether as friends, potential love interests, etc. For many years, I had been torn between a desire to be with women romantically (I consider myself something of a romantic at heart) and not being with them at all. I believe my history has been increasingly pushing me to make a clear decision not to be with anyone, even as friends. Not out of bitterness or resentment. It's just that trying to maintain female friendships has been for the most part way too problematic for me.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Why did you post this under relationships if it is platonic?
I didn't notice the additional forum for nonromantic relationships until after I made the original post. Mods are free to move it if they so choose.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Was your message just "I'm thinking of you", or something like "Have you seen/heard XYZ? I did and it made me think of you." (referencing an obvious inside joke between you two)

The former would feel weird. If you got a text from a male friend that simply said "I'm thinking of you", how would you react?

I'm female and occasionally get texts from female friends that send an image or whatever, followed by "this made me think of you". Typically I'm either humored or flattered.
It was basically I'm thinking of you and I hope you're doing well. I've had guy friends tell me they love me before. No problem.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I did in the past and asked her about the possibility. She made it clear that she wasn't in that space at the time (at least with me). I left things alone. I would text her every now and again, but she had always seemed a bit distant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships