Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:04 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times

Advertisements

I own a crockpot that I use. Ive got some beans soaking in it overnight for homemade soup tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Doesn't everyone own a crockpot that they don't use?
I have heard that you can use the crockpot to make a roast and to make chicken. I have never seen this done. I think it's a myth.

The once a year that the crockpot comes out is the workplace's annual "Chili cookoff." This is when everybody takes canned beans and canned chili, put it in their crockpot and called it "homemade."

Old 10-18-2007, 09:35 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,945 times
Wow...some of you guys have perfected those recipes in the slow cooker/ crock pot...and I really can't add anything else, what hasn't been mentioned yet.
I think the MAIN thing though is to add the spices right in the beginning, so the meat and spices fuse thoroughly.
I also found that really lean cuts of meat only taste half as good.....there's got to be a little fat on it to add flavor!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:36 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Hubby wanted me to mention one of the things that I make that he loves; especially during football games and it is a must make for the Super Bowl

Italian Beef in the slow cooker

any type of beef roast
1 jar of banana peppers (zesty or mild whichever you prefer)
1 small canister of grated parmesan cheese

brown beef in pan and put in slow cooker. Dump jar of peppers with juice and canister of parmesan in slow cooker. Cook until very tender. Use two forks to cross shred the beef in the slow cooker and allow it to mix and soak up the juices. Serve on Steak or Sausage Rolls with fresh provolone and mustard and/or horseradish sauce. So delicious!
Okay, this is fast becoming a fav....three different meals from one crockpot of this beef.

so I made it and enjoyed the hoagies. Then I froze the leftovers in two bags. Made enchiladas last week- loved them. (see previous post)

Then made chili today- it was so good. I usually use ground beef for chili, but today I made it like this:

sauted onions and celery and add:
thawed beef
chili powder, garlic powder, fresh ground pepper
kideny beans
can of tomato soup
a little water, which will cook off

simmer until you can't stand it any more and eat!

Could be jazzed up many ways- sauted bell pepper, jalapenos, can of crushed tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, cinnamon....

Old 10-19-2007, 06:40 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Okay, this is fast becoming a fav....three different meals from one crockpot of this beef.
HIF, I am SO glad that you like this and are enjoying it. That means so much to me!

Old 10-21-2007, 10:49 AM

95 posts, read 304,486 times
Post Family favorite

A few yrs ago I started on a creole kick. I found alot of the recipes took forever to cook an some of the ingrediance I didnt care for.
So I took 2 recipes I really enjoyed Red beans an rice and Jambalaya and made my own rendition for crock pot use. This is really easy an the flavors are just great. Hope this comes in handy for someone.

1 pound dried red beans, rinsed and sorted over
3 slices of smoked ham hock
1 med. chopped yellow onions
1 small chopped bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (omit this till the end)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (add at the end unless you like it really hot)
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1 pack fresh chorizo,
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
10 cups chicken stock, or water
25 to 35 med. Raw Shrimp shelled
4 cups cooked white rice or 1 pan of corn bread (optional)

Place the beans in crock pot and cover with water by 2 inches.
Let soak for 8 hours or how ever you do your beans in the crock pot
When beans are ready add in crock pot, add everything except cayenne, shrimp, chorizo, salt.
Cook till beans are tender average time for my crock pot 5 hrs.
Add chorizo 1 hr before serving. Remove an slice into ½ in pieces add back to crock pot
Add shrimp 5 min before serving
DON’T TO REMOVE THE FORGET THE BAY LEAVES
Remove about 1 cups of beans mash the ***** out of them
Return to pot
Serve over rice or over a slice of cornbread and garnish with green onions.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:43 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,154 times
You can also make a mean meatloaf in a cp. Just make a meatloaf using your regular recipe in the cp, cover it with ketchup or bbq sauce and cook on low 4-6 (for older pots). While I am doing that in one crock, in the other I will cook baked potatoes. Take as many potatoes as you need, wrap each in foil, poke with a fork, stack them all in the crock with NO LIQUID, and cook. I cook them the same amount of time as the mealoaf. When you come home, you have an entree and a side...DONE. If you want to get crazy about it, in the third crock you can make dessert...talk about easy...Have fun!

Old 10-31-2007, 02:26 PM

604 posts, read 4,620,775 times
I use a 4-6 pound whole fryer chicken in mine. It's convenient and it doesn't heat the house like a regular oven.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:18 PM

324 posts, read 883,063 times
I don't use my crock-pot that often. I usually can't get myself out of bed in time to spare the few extra minutes it would take to throw something in the pot before I have to be out of the door. However, I am a big fan of dressing up very basic foods to make a quick and yummy meal, like this recipe for Asian Noodles (http://better.tv/bettertv/?cid=713290235&lid=626893502&tid=800772021&ordersr c=rafbettertv - broken link) made with ramen. This recipe just happens to be cheap too!

Old 11-02-2007, 03:55 PM

106 posts, read 371,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I own a crockpot that I use. Ive got some beans soaking in it overnight for homemade soup tomorrow.
Great idea to soak the beans in the crock pot...one less thing to wash, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes