Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2023, 04:25 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,453,422 times

Advertisements

Easy Brunswick Stew

1 med onion
2 tbls butter
1 16 oz container frozen pulled pork in BBQ sauce(I use Curleys or pick up a lb of pulled pork from my local BBQ resaurant)
1 32 oz container chicken broth
2 chicken breasts
1 reg can whole tomatoes
1 small pkg frozen baby lima beans
20 oz frozen creamed corn
1 can small whole potatoes(or 2 med potatoes)
1 tsp McCormicks BBQ seasoning (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Boil chicken breasts in 1 cup of chicken broth. Sautee onions in butter. Add pulled pork and remaining chicken broth.

Chop or shred tomatoes by hand and add with half can of juice. Add lima beans and corn.(If I have canned corn on hand, I add a can.) Dice canned or fresh potatoes. Add BBQ seasoning if desired and S&P.

Cook 40 minutes. Remove chicken, cut, cool and chop or shred. Add to stew and cook until lima beans are at desired tenderness.

Stew should be thick, not like soup. However, if it is too thick, use broth from boiling chicken breasts to thin.

This will be a GA verson of brunswick stew. For a NC version, add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of brown sugar.

This is a hearty meal all by itself or an appetizer to a larger BBQ meal. It is also a great stew to cook in batches and freeze.

How do you make Brunswick Stew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2023, 05:08 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,990,495 times
Funny story. First month we moved to Georgia we went to Mary Macs . They served us complimentary bread basket and Brunswick stew. Being from Texas we didn't know what this stew was about.
We took 2 spoonfuls and deemed it AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS . THen I asked the waitress what's in this stew?
Being Jewish and abstaining from Pork unfortunately made us drop our spoons and push the stew away.
A damn shame, because that stew was so good!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-03-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Funny story. First month we moved to Georgia we went to Mary Macs . They served us complimentary bread basket and Brunswick stew. Being from Texas we didn't know what this stew was about.
We took 2 spoonfuls and deemed it AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS . THen I asked the waitress what's in this stew?
Being Jewish and abstaining from Pork unfortunately made us drop our spoons and push the stew away.
Uh Oh!

I've never tried it, but you could probably make it with shredded beef(like a chuck roast) or brisket in BBQ sauce.

Love Mary Macs. Been years since I've been there.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:39 AM

8,055 posts, read 10,651,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I don't like pork and have made it with just chicken before. Still really good, and the above recipe the OP provided looks delicious and simple to make compared to some.

I bet the addition of the BBQ seasoning gives it a nice "kick", I'm going to try that!

Old 09-04-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I don't like pork and have made it with just chicken before. Still really good, and the above recipe the OP provided looks delicious and simple to make compared to some.

I bet the addition of the BBQ seasoning gives it a nice "kick", I'm going to try that!
Ha......yes you can certainly make a 2 day shopping/cooking extravaganza smoking your own meats, preparing fresh veggies, your own BBQ seasonings/sauce and I'm sure it's amazing, but not my thing!

I like this recipe because its easy, fast and I almost always have the ingredients all stocked in freezer or pantry. Plus, its pretty economical because Publix always has all the ingredients BOGO or on sale to keep stocked up.

I originally tried the McCormicks seasoning for ribs and its a pretty tasty BBQ seasoning/dry rub. I've used it on chicken and shrimp and to make season fries or home fries. It's a basic bbq flavor like bbq chips. I think Publix has it BOGO this week and its part of their Grillmates line that has other flavors.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:00 PM

I'm going to look for the McCormicks BBQ seasoning. They have it on Amazon, but you have to purchase a pack of three. We don't have a Publix around, unfortunately.

This sounds like a good dish to prepare on a camp out, cooked in a dutch oven over the fire. We are going camping in the fall and I think this would be perfect.

I will opt to peel my own potatoes rather than used the canned though. Canned potatoes alway remind me of those childhood lunches at school we had in the 1970's. They were always floating in butter and sprinkled with parsley. Anyone over about the age of 55 knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the recipe!

Old 01-28-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Easy Brunswick Stew

1 med onion
2 tbls butter
1 16 oz container frozen pulled pork in BBQ sauce(I use Curleys or pick up a lb of pulled pork from my local BBQ resaurant)
1 32 oz container chicken broth
2 chicken breasts
1 reg can whole tomatoes
1 small pkg frozen baby lima beans
20 oz frozen creamed corn
1 can small whole potatoes(or 2 med potatoes)
1 tsp McCormicks BBQ seasoning (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Boil chicken breasts in 1 cup of chicken broth. Sautee onions in butter. Add pulled pork and remaining chicken broth.

Chop or shred tomatoes by hand and add with half can of juice. Add lima beans and corn.(If I have canned corn on hand, I add a can.) Dice canned or fresh potatoes. Add BBQ seasoning if desired and S&P.

Cook 40 minutes. Remove chicken, cut, cool and chop or shred. Add to stew and cook until lima beans are at desired tenderness.

Stew should be thick, not like soup. However, if it is too thick, use broth from boiling chicken breasts to thin.

This will be a GA verson of brunswick stew. For a NC version, add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of brown sugar.

This is a hearty meal all by itself or an appetizer to a larger BBQ meal. It is also a great stew to cook in batches and freeze.

How do you make Brunswick Stew?
I finally got around to making this today and it is delicious!

The only changes I made was to use pulled chicken BBQ instead of the pulled pork because I am not eating as much pork these days, boiled my own potatoes instead of using canned, and I used stewed tomatoes because I like the sweetness of them. I also added a pinch of cayenne pepper for a slight bit of heat.

Easy, delicious, and just right for a chilly January evening.

Thanks to the original OP for the inspiration and recipe.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:10 PM

16,397 posts, read 30,314,168 times
True colonial brunswick stew used squirrel and rabbit in the 18th century.

Old Today, 09:38 AM

7,491 posts, read 6,273,115 times
I’ve ate and made a bit of Brunswick stew and I never ever put lima beans and potatoes in it although I have ate it with these items at a few joints. Most bbq places in Georgia don’t put lima beans and potatoes in Brunswick stew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes