Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times

Advertisements

Classic tollhouse with the addition of an extra teaspoon or so of salt (gives it that nice "salted caramel" character).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 12:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Also, no matter what recipe you use, you can play with the texture of the cookies by altering what color of sugar you use (or using both white and brown in different proportions), and by using different softnesses/temperatures of butter. These things change whether or not the cookies spread a lot, stay crispy, have a more chewy character, etc.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:52 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
The original Toll House recipe, using shortening instead of butter.

1 c. Crisco
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. hot water
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. chocolate chips
1 c. nuts chopped, optional
Cream Crisco and sugars. Dissolve soda in hot water. Add soda emulsion, vanilla and eggs to sugars and Crisco, and beat well. Stir dry ingredients together and add to batter. Fold in chips and nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:50 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
Thanks for the replies! We have a lot of recipes to prepare so it will be some time before we can announce the favorite.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:53 PM

At this point there is a tie for the favorite. Here is the recipe for Alton Brown's The Chewy:

Ingredients
8 ounces unsalted butter
12 ounces bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 ounces granulated sugar
8 ounces light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 ounce whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

Melt the butter in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat. Set aside to cool slightly.

Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda onto a paper plate. Pour the butter into your stand mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar and beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the whole egg, the egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract in a measuring cup. Reduce the mixer speed and slowly add the egg mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.

Using the paper plate as a slide, gradually integrate the dry ingredients, stopping a couple of times to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Once the flour is worked in, drop the speed to "stir" and add the chocolate chips. Chill the dough for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and place racks in the top third and bottom third of the oven.

Scoop the dough into 1 1/2-ounce portions onto parchment-lined half sheet pans, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake 2 sheets at a time for 15 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Remove from the oven, slide the parchment with the cookies onto a cooling rack and wait at least 5 minutes before devouring.

Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown

Old 06-20-2016, 01:58 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Make the tollhouse recipe and add about 1/3 cup nutella and 1/2 cup of chopped hazelnuts to the batter and bake. Yum!!!!

Old 06-20-2016, 02:02 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
I have always always used the recipe on the Nestle package. I use butter. My cookies come out of the oven flat and crispy. Three of my dtrs-in-law make their cookies from the recipe on the package - they swear. But their cookies come out puffed and chewy.

In your research, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me the reason for the difference in our cookies. TYVM

Old 06-20-2016, 02:10 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,413,716 times
I haven't found a recipe that I like better than the Toll House recipe on the bag of Nestle chocolate chips (Semi-sweet). In fact, I have butter softening right now to make some. 🙂

Old 06-20-2016, 02:32 PM

This is the other recipe that is tied for first place at this time.

Levain Bakery chocolate chip cookies

INGREDIENTS

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cream butter, brown sugar and white sugar until fully combined and smooth. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract, beating until the batter is glossy.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually stir this into the butter mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
Form into loose, baseball-sized mounds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the center has set (as in, it’s not jiggly) but not fully cooked. The edges should be lightly golden.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have always always used the recipe on the Nestle package. I use butter. My cookies come out of the oven flat and crispy. Three of my dtrs-in-law make their cookies from the recipe on the package - they swear. But their cookies come out puffed and chewy.

In your research, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me the reason for the difference in our cookies. TYVM
Is it possible they are refrigerating the dough before scooping and baking? If the dough is already soft and warm going into the oven they will spread faster as they bake resulting in a thinner, crispier product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes