Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 07:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Years ago when I was in my 20s and first got married, we bought a house thru the First time home buyers program, our credit wasnt that great, but we did both have good jobs, the house we bought for $84,900, with supposedly a low interest rate, (thanks to the FHA program)...well, if we had made every payment on that house for 30 yrs...we would have actually paid over $252k!!! (payments were around $700-800 a month).

People told us once we bought a house, we would see big tax returns every year, but due to us not having children, our tax returns were not all that great...

Looking back, it would have been a horrible financial decision to pay off that house completely...25 yrs later, its value is nowhere close to $252K.

The way I see it, the mortgage lender is who made the good financial decision...lend $85K to buy a house, (and get $252K in return!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 07:35 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
Thank you all for the replies from all over the country. The wise thing , if possible, to do would be not to buy a home at this time. Try to get an apartment, wait , something is going to happen with the FED raising interest rates this year, the housing frenzy has to slow down sometime.
If history is an indication of the future then rate hikes will have little to no affect on housing prices. Also, several of my friends who rent are in real trouble right now because their last lease renewal saw massive rent increases (one +$800mo). Had they had the credit or cash to buy their rent would have afforded them a nice home in a nice neighborhood that has seen the values rise over $100k in the same timeframe (12mo). The right time to buy is when you have the means to do it.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:52 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Millions of renters here have a great deal .

Because a stabilization board determines rates here for more than half of all rentals effecting millions of tenants the deals have been pretty good .

No increase last year , no increase the first 6 months this year and a 1-2% jump for the ending 6 months.

At least here renters are a very mixed group ranging from very wealthy to poor .

Most renters are renters because they can’t afford to own or invest .

But those who have the resources and choices do quite well renting and investing in more lucrative investments.

So how renters fair is going to be unique to them and location

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-27-2022 at 08:00 AM..

Old 03-27-2022, 08:48 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Really? Rent prices around here are steadily increasing -- along with everything else -- except people's income.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:50 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Why do people buy? In no particular order...

--Relocation due to job change.
--Change in family status...marriage, new baby, etc.
--Need/want to be closer to other family.
--Change in health status...need to eliminate stairs. Or need to eliminate maintenance.
--Financially better to buy than to pay skyrocketing rents.
--Plan to sell current home, cash out equity, and move to East Podunk where R.E. prices are lower.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:50 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Really? Rent prices around here are steadily increasing -- along with everything else -- except people's income.
Incomes here have been escalating a lot …

The salary’s required even in the company i retired from and still do some work for have shot up a lot in order to keep or attract people.

I work one day a week and on a yearly basis just got what amounts to a 20 k raise if I was full time.

It is the first time in my 40 years in the industry that it is an employee market

Salaries now that use to pay 80k precovid are at 100k plus.

The company has more than 30 positions listed to fill

Old 03-27-2022, 08:51 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Millions of renters here have a great deal .

Because a stabilization board determines rates here for more than half of all rentals effecting millions of tenants the deals have been pretty good .

No increase last year , no increase the first 6 months this year and a 1-2% jump for the ending 6 months.

At least here renters are a very mixed group ranging from very wealthy to poor .

Most renters are renters because they can’t afford to own or invest .

But those who have the resources and choices do quite well renting and investing in more lucrative investments.

So how renters fair is going to be unique to them and location
That’s very true. My area has nothing like that outside of government subsidized housing.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:23 AM

247 posts, read 236,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Years ago when I was in my 20s and first got married, we bought a house thru the First time home buyers program, our credit wasnt that great, but we did both have good jobs, the house we bought for $84,900, with supposedly a low interest rate, (thanks to the FHA program)...well, if we had made every payment on that house for 30 yrs...we would have actually paid over $252k!!! (payments were around $700-800 a month).

People told us once we bought a house, we would see big tax returns every year, but due to us not having children, our tax returns were not all that great...

Looking back, it would have been a horrible financial decision to pay off that house completely...25 yrs later, its value is nowhere close to $252K.

The way I see it, the mortgage lender is who made the good financial decision...lend $85K to buy a house, (and get $252K in return!!)
And what would you have paid in rent over 30 years? It costs $$$ to live, whether that’s rent, mortgage and/or property taxes. Over the long run, it generally is more financially beneficial to be paying your own mortgage and growing equity in your own property, which hopefully is appreciating over time as well.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:27 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,251,642 times
From a google search on "percentage of homes bought by investors"

Just one clip https://www.redfin.com/news/investor...hases-q3-2021/

Quote:
Real estate investors bought a record 18.2% of the U.S. homes that were purchased during the third quarter of 2021, up from a revised rate of 16.1% in the second quarter and 11.2% a year earlier.
I will speculate that this one of the significant reasons for prices going up. I think investors moving their money somewhere else would trigger a significant correction.

Just speculation..

Old 03-27-2022, 10:27 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
I totally agree! I’m in the Boston area and was just having the same thoughts yesterday. The only people making out are the ones who have something to sell, but don’t have to turn around and buy. Let’s say you were lucky enough to inherit a home that you just want to offload for the cash—that’s who is cleaning up big time right now.
I just don't see houses going down anytime soon. There is little supply and high demand. High paying companies keep moving into the Boston area. No more land to build. Everyone wants a SFH with a yard now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate