Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 PM

409 posts, read 874,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I equate opening cabinet doors, flushing the toilet, turning lights on/off, turning on heat or air similar to taking a car for a test drive. Except that a house costs a lot more, usually.

I wonder if the OP buys a car without driving it.
Way to go . Turn my thread into some crazy strawman argument .

For the record, when I look at a house I open all the doors, look into the kitchen cabinets, try all the lights in the kitchen and bathroom, flip switches, walk all over yard, etc. I don't flush the toilets or turn the water on because if there in a problem, it will get caught in the inspection and will get fixed. But I will give you those.

But if you still can't see the difference between those actions and planting your bare rump on someone toilet seat and urinate where you don't know the homeowner and they don't know you, you never will. Here's hoping you will continue that "when you gotta go, go" opinion when place your house on the market.

I viewed many new houses. Each time the builder would place a sign on the toilet saying please don't use. Sometimes the lid is taped shut. Until now I always thought that was overkill. Surely no one is going to use the bathroom here I thought. Wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 08:30 PM

136 posts, read 328,814 times
Why would someone object to allowing another person the use of their restroom? I can see if a seller got upset because the person left a pebble trail on the floor, or a dirty diaper in the sink, etc. But to get offended about someone using the restroom in a normal fashion? Personally... I think it's a bit inhumane to intentionally restrict use of the restroom. At best, it's unrealistic. And I'd bet, that most buyers walking through would be turned off, even if they didn't need to use the restroom. I think it would not-so-subtly indicate the seller may be difficult to work with.

By having your home on the market, you are indeed "inviting guests" into your home. Yes... it can be frustrating, but sellers should at least try to be as gracious as possible - no matter the market conditions.

As a funny side note... I had an open house recently where I needed to use the toilet. I lifted up the lid, only to have copious amounts of dirty cat litter pour all over the floor! It was one of those "cat toilet training" contraptions. Needless to say... this is a time where the seller SHOULD have placed a sign to NOT use THIS toilet!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
I think the most telling thing is the statement that if you were there and someone was in your home and asked to use the facilities that you "wouldn't like it" but would allow them to do so.

That indicates that the person making that statement has an issue deeper than common courtesy. Common courtesy holds that if someone is a guest in your home (and buyers ARE guests who are invited to view your home with an eye to purchasing it because you want to sell it), of course they would be allowed the use of the facilities if necessary and no one would bat an eye at the idea.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:54 PM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
This thread supports my belief that many sellers are better off to move out and sell a vacant home.
It helps them let go of the commodity they are marketing.

The emotional bond with the property is still very strong when bathroom use by buyers becomes a major issue.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think the most telling thing is the statement that if you were there and someone was in your home and asked to use the facilities that you "wouldn't like it" but would allow them to do so.

That indicates that the person making that statement has an issue deeper than common courtesy. Common courtesy holds that if someone is a guest in your home (and buyers ARE guests who are invited to view your home with an eye to purchasing it because you want to sell it), of course they would be allowed the use of the facilities if necessary and no one would bat an eye at the idea.
An excellent way of looking at the situation. Just because you're not there doesn't mean you shouldn't extend some common courtesy to a guest in your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
I viewed many new houses. Each time the builder would place a sign on the toilet saying please don't use. Sometimes the lid is taped shut. Until now I always thought that was overkill. Surely no one is going to use the bathroom here I thought. Wrong
That's usually because the water isn't turned on and you can't flush the toilet. It's one thing to let someone use a working toilet. It's a totally different thing when someone uses a toilet that can't be flushed.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I'm not talking about looking at the house thoroughly and getting a good home inspection before you buy. I'm talking about an attitude like yourself. You are the snarky one who thinks they are beyond common courtesy. You are the buyer and anything you want you will get.
I'm not beyond common courtesy. You are. Let me explain.

You expect us to have osmosis or ESP to know all your little pet peeves and expect us to somehow KNOW what not to do. I have news: we don't. And many of us were raised in different households and different cultures where attitudes like yours would get you laughed out of town, in much the same way our attitudes make you cringe. Like I don't give a rat's ass if my elbows are on the table. My dad's second wife shrieked in horror almost every time we did that LOL! It amused us. Do you really think this big nation of 300 million people all share YOUR PERSONAL VIEWS? Hardly.

Guide us to what we shouldn't do.

Proud of your place and it's pristine condition? Cool. Tell people not to touch stuff by putting signs out. Usually we follow it.

Don't want our muddy shoes tracking stuff in? Great, neither do I want my house guests to do so. SO I ask them to take them off. You should too.

Don't want people to go to the toilet? Well, not sure what to do there. If you're really that obsessive, I'd suggest you clean it with bleach after they go. Do it twice, just to make sure. Different people have different needs. There's others who spend all day out and haven't been to the toilet in 5 hours. If you're worried about germs then designate a bathroom for their use and keep the cleaning supplies in there so you can clean when they're done. Simple.

I don't think anything I'm saying is unreasonable. Guidance and signs. What's so hard about that?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:52 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
We get it. You have some kind of bathroom hang up. You just have to realize most people don't share that same view.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:34 AM

12 posts, read 43,192 times
I've changed my mind after reading this thread again. I think I will put a lock on my front door.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,992,588 times
I'm surprised that a seller would have an issue with a buyer using their bathroom. As others have said, it is pretty unusual that a buyer would go out and see only one house. Usually when I'm looking at houses with a buyer we look at them for several hours and it's inevitable that at some point someone will need to use a bathroom. I have my house for sale right now and I have no problem with potential buyers using the bathrooms. At least if they do that, they know they work!

People really are strange... if you have an issue with outsiders coming into your house and touching and using things while they are there, you probably shouldn't try and sell it.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
We get it. You have some kind of bathroom hang up. You just have to realize most people don't share that same view.
This right here sums the whole thing up most succinctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate