Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 11:19 AM

276 posts, read 575,942 times

Advertisements

I’m confused if I still have a lien on my house or not.

I live in Los Angeles.

I know that I have three unpaid judgments that are over 12 years old, however I do seem to remember that I was contacted by Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk (about 12 years ago), to inform me that I have a lien on my house (put there by the three creditors that hold each of my judgments). I remember reading somewhere that in California, a lien put on a house by a creditor is only good for ten years and then it automatically is removed, but a new lien can be put on the house if the previous judgment had not been paid/satisfied.

However, when I recently visited my Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk office to see if I have any liens on my house, they are telling me that "my judgment is my house lien". Upon my reviewing their public records (that can only be viewed in their office), their records only show that I have the three judgements. I could not find any other documentation about a lien or a lien on my actual house. I saw that people with a similar name to mine had something called a “Mechanics Lien”, however I do not have anything calling out a lien under my name in their records.

So the best I can figure, the three liens on my house from 12 years ago have fallen off.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 11:36 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user9430961 View Post

I live in Los Angeles.

I know that I have three unpaid judgments that are over 12 years old, however I do seem to remember that I was contacted by Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk (about 12 years ago), to inform me that I have a lien on my house (put there by the three creditors that hold each of my judgments). I remember reading somewhere that in California, a lien put on a house by a creditor is only good for ten years and then it automatically is removed, but a new lien can be put on the house if the previous judgment had not been paid/satisfied.

However, when I recently visited my Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk office to see if I have any liens on my house, they are telling me that "my judgment is my house lien". Upon my reviewing their public records (that can only be viewed in their office), their records only show that I have the three judgements. I could not find any other documentation about a lien or a lien on my actual house. I saw that people with a similar name to mine had something called a “Mechanics Lien”, however I do not have anything calling out a lien under my name in their records.

So the best I can figure, the three liens on my house from 12 years ago have fallen off.

What are your thoughts?
I think your question is above C-D's pay grade. You ought to consult an attorney to protect your home and yourself, because someone will probably try to collect those judgments, one way or another.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:41 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:

I live in Los Angeles.

What are your thoughts?
Why did you not ask for the definition mechanics lien and judgement when you were at the registrar's office. Google will pull it up. Time to start whittling them down.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:49 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:

I live in Los Angeles.

What are your thoughts?

First step would be to contact a local title company and ask for a title search. A good title agent is a great resource, see what they find, and what they would advise.

Old 01-02-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I think your question is above C-D's pay grade. You ought to consult an attorney to protect your home and yourself, because someone will probably try to collect those judgments, one way or another.

Thank you, Bungalove. I appreciate your help and advice.

Old 01-02-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Why did you not ask for the definition mechanics lien and judgement when you were at the registrar's office. Google will pull it up. Time to start whittling them down.

Threestep2, thank you for your assistance. All of the mechanics liens I saw, they did not belong to me (based on the information I saw when I looked them up), when I was at the office. The names on those mechanic liens did not have my exact name nor any addresses that I have ever lived at. Nor was any of the property listed was ever any property I ever owned.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
First step would be to contact a local title company and ask for a title search. A good title agent is a great resource, see what they find, and what they would advise.

Thank you, Diana Holbrook. I appreciate your help and advice. I think I will do that, since I was not able to find this information at the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:09 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I don't think a creditor is ignorant of how this all works, so I don't see how they would up and decide not to reissue a lien if the time table you mentioned is accurate. In any case, there are always a number of free or low cost sliding scale legal people you should talk to and find out for sure what is what.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:57 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Have a local title company do a title search for you. That's probably the best way.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:46 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
A “Mechanics Lien” is filed by a Company or a Contractor who did work on your House and they weren't paid.
Did you have any work on your House and you didn't pay the Bill or there was a dispute over the services rendered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals