Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 09:51 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,952,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Mental Illness.
I see many mentally ill homeless on a daily basis. However I don't believe they are the ones setting up tent communities in the woods. Those people probably do have consistent substance abuse issues.

Again, if you can set up tents, drink and scrounge for food to live, then they are able to not trash up their surroundings.

And for the mentally ill, what is the solution? Can private organizations and churches help any more than offering daily meals? The problems are complex, and I think if tax dollars are being spent to address the problems, then part of that should be maintaining clean surroundings for the general public who shell out hundreds every month just in property taxes.

You all should put pressure on Raleigh about the litter citywide. I'm back in Atlanta now and it's spotless everywhere. I'm so happy to walk and drive down litter-free streets across all of metro Atlanta. Raleigh's leadership needs a good talkin' to.

It sucks when vagrants and squatters have more power even while blighting the thoroughfares owned by all the citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 03:33 AM

19,758 posts, read 20,317,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

There is no rash of criminal bands of roving Umstead homeless people.
Yes, there are. Living in Umstead Park is criminal in itself. They're in there, you can literally see the camps from 40.

I don't know why you would downplay this, people's safety is nothing to joke about.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:14 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,948,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I’m confident we’d already have heard of these roving bands of homeless attackers if this was a likely scenario.
There are some homeless people that live in the woods in Wakefield. One of them has been arrested multiple times for assault and threats with a machete and hatchet. In one instance he came after some teens that worked at the car wash during broad daylight. He pulled his weapon out and charged one of the teens. A day or two later he was in the same shopping area and did the same to two people. All of this caught on camera. I don't remember the news ever picking the story up (and not sure why) but I saw the videos and saw the arrest record. I also saw the guy walking back up Falls of Neuse to his camp area a couple days later thanks to our wonderful revolving door at the County jail.

The homeless by 540 and Capital have also been caught on camera doing things in the "fairly new" townhome community that was built close to their new and old camps. People at the stop lights there have also had to deal with the homeless people's aggressiveness and have been spit on etc by these people.

When you are dealing with people with mental illness and/or drug addiction there is no telling what these people may do. And unfortunately the majority that live in these camps fall into those categories. It was evident at the camp by TTC.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:29 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,796,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
There are organized small groups of people breaking into some residences in every single city and town in the Triangle. Unfortunately, the homeless are easy targets to blame and demonize even when they are not involved.
Exactly. Pretty sure many homeless people don’t have the ability to even organize these thefts. They are quick, in and out of a neighborhood they have already cased and well organized to hit as many as possible as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
And people ask why nobody goes on City Data anymore.......
Seriously.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:49 AM

314 posts, read 301,833 times
Don't worry. Tech billionaires and their junkyard dog AI will fix it all. It will house the homeless, end hunger, and reverse mail pattern baldness overnight, no less.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:49 AM

11,233 posts, read 8,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Well I'm not going in there to find out.
LOL, there are (unofficial) hiking and mountainbiking trails that go by these, and all of the other camps. Especially in DT Raleigh near Wilmington Street.

I ride weekly, see tent-camps and homeless people all the time, never had an issue. Some say hi, some don't want to be bothered. I've had more issues from bored kids who's parents were on the internet complaining about homeless people instead of parenting, than I have homeless people.

Glad I won't see you there, and I'm not the slightest bit worried about a homeless person who wants nothing more than to be left alone. They are not the ones attacking people.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:56 AM

11,233 posts, read 8,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Yes, there are. Living in Umstead Park is criminal in itself. They're in there, you can literally see the camps from 40.

I don't know why you would downplay this, people's safety is nothing to joke about.
Serious question here.

1. Are you sure they are officially "living in Umstead", or just nearby (I think most are on the I-40 easement), and

2. Can you site the law (not the Umstead policy, but the LAW) that says you can't live in a tent on public property?

I'm sure the law exists, but would be helpful to see it's context, since you state it as fact, I'm sure you are knowledgeable about what's in it. (Just cut and paste the law from the city or state official document)

Old 05-01-2024, 09:20 AM

857 posts, read 425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
LOL, there are (unofficial) hiking and mountainbiking trails that go by these, and all of the other camps. Especially in DT Raleigh near Wilmington Street.

I ride weekly, see tent-camps and homeless people all the time, never had an issue. Some say hi, some don't want to be bothered. I've had more issues from bored kids who's parents were on the internet complaining about homeless people instead of parenting, than I have homeless people.

Glad I won't see you there, and I'm not the slightest bit worried about a homeless person who wants nothing more than to be left alone. They are not the ones attacking people.
LOL, more likely kids whose parents told them that the homeless camps were perfectly safe to play around. They're harmless, they just want to be left alone. I personally wouldn't expect much privacy squatting illegally in a public park. Or begging with a cup at our busiest intersections. Just me though.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:32 AM

10 posts, read 4,778 times
Ohh the virtue signaling in this thread. As noted in my previous post, for you that assume the “residentially challenged” are totally harmless upstanding citizens, let them move in with you and that would solve the problem. But no, always big words and scorn, no actions… Where is that crickets emoji?

Last edited by chris15440; 05-01-2024 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-01-2024, 11:58 AM

370 posts, read 297,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

2. Can you site the law (not the Umstead policy, but the LAW) that says you can't live in a tent on public property?

I'm sure the law exists, but would be helpful to see it's context, since you state it as fact, I'm sure you are knowledgeable about what's in it. (Just cut and paste the law from the city or state official document)
I believe it's the following statute:

§ 14‑159.13. Second degree trespass.
(a) Offense.– A person commits the offense of second degree trespass if, without authorization, the person enters or remains on any of the following:
(1) On premises of another after the person has been notified not to enter or remain there by the owner, by a person in charge of the premises, by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person.
(2) On premises that are posted, in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, with notice not to enter the premises.
(3) On the curtilage of a dwelling of another between the hours of midnight and 6:00 A.M.

I believe "premises of another" includes the right-of-way of highways and streets for purpose of this statute.

NCDOT does not normally "evict" trespassers without a request from local authorities (city/town or county) unless it creates a potential safety hazard. IIRC, the usual procedure is that the locals request help, and the first thing NCDOT does is put up a "no trespassing" sign to meet the requirements of section 2.

I think NCDOT has cracked down on encampments under bridges, based on fires under the 75/85 bridge in Atlanta a few years back. That, and maintenance/storage facilities (that's nothing new.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary