Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 05:42 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Yes, this seems to be the real-life answer. I sent the NC DMV an email detailing the situation and asking what I am supposed to do. I doubt I will get an answer. A temporary 10-day tag would solve the problem but I expect that to be too simple, straightforward and easy.
A ten day permit is just a piece of paper you get that allows you to drive the vehicle for inspection and show an officer if you're pulled over, so you don't get a temporary tag to put on the vehicle. I would just leave the old expired tag on the car and get the ten day permit. You can only get one ten day permit issued every twelve months so make sure you have everything ready to go before getting the permit because you can't just go get another one if it expires. Been there....done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 09:51 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Yes, this seems to be the real-life answer. I sent the NC DMV an email detailing the situation and asking what I am supposed to do. I doubt I will get an answer. A temporary 10-day tag would solve the problem but I expect that to be too simple, straightforward and easy.

You have several options- I would not advise driving with an expired tag, I have done it a few times, sometimes I've gotten away with it and other times I've gotten stuck for fines (and once threatened with the vehicle being towed and me left on the side of the road). It's a risk. Given other options available, is it worth it?

Option 2: Apply for a temporary transport tag, which is relatively inexpensive but in most states I know of that issue them you are required to have insurance (which you say you have).

Option 3: Rent a truck and a car trailer (if you already have a truck with a trailer hitch this is fairly inexpensive). I have done this several times when I have needed to move a vehicle, particularly between states. If you don't already have a truck with a hitch, this is going to cost you a bit more because you will have the rental fees for both the truck and the trailer, but it isn't *that* costly.

Ignore the people advising you to drive with an expired tag, telling you it's 'no problem'. It can be a BIG problem, depending on who pulls you over where and what his/her state of mind may be. Get a cop who just found out the spouse is cheating with the best friend and you might find yourself getting clobbered, you just can't trust cops these days, no matter how good your 'excuse' might be.

Also, letting the insurance lapse- you are better off just canceling it if you aren't going to be driving the vehicle, letting it lapse puts you on the hook for non-payment. I routinely add and drop vehicles to/from my policy depending on whether I intend to drive them or not, there has never been a problem with this. I have half a dozen vehicles that I may or may not be using at any given time, if I don't intend to use one for an extended time I drop the coverage, and add it back when I want to use it again.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:22 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times
Just drive it. You'll be fine. Print a copy of proof of insurance if you feel like it. The dmv is going to issue you a new tag. you just tell them its been parked

Old 03-04-2024, 01:29 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Vehicle cannot be towed.
Can it be picked up and loaded on a car carrier?

We went through this when BH inherited a car from her brother in Atlanta. It would not run, but was parked in an apartment lot. We used UShip to pick it in Atlanta and drop it off at our local car mechanic. (We were not present for the pickup.)

Don't recall the price, but it was a pretty painless experience. We were expected a long wait, as they try to get more vehicles going the same direction before they load up, but we had it up here in less than a week.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:47 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
In February last year I drove a corvette from Ft Worth back to Raleigh without even having a license plate or paper tag at all.

I really think you could just drive it and if pulled over explain you are taking it back to your home state to get it reregistered. Just bring some sort of proof you are driving it home.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:40 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I was temporarily out of state when my car needed an inspection for re-registration. No problems. You contact the NC DMV via their website. Ask what to do. They give you a list of items for the out of state inspection station to check.

You can photograph the report and submit it to the individual at the DMV who responded to you. Pay your fees and you will be sent your sticker and documentation. As long as your reported domicile remains the state of NC there is a method to follow.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:50 PM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
In February last year I drove a corvette from Ft Worth back to Raleigh without even having a license plate or paper tag at all.

I really think you could just drive it and if pulled over explain you are taking it back to your home state to get it reregistered. Just bring some sort of proof you are driving it home.
I would avoid 85 in Virginia.

Old Today, 05:05 PM

63 posts, read 14,662 times
change plates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary