Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,820 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to NC and had the opportunity to visit both Carolina Preserve and Carolina Arbors several times in October 2023. We have read others discuss these two communities, but some of the threads are older. We are interested in the current view of both communities. Both looked very nice to us. We did notice though that there was more of a vibe in Carolina Preserve than Carolina Arbors, i.e. more activity in the recreation center, more people out and about, etc. So we are wondering what is the general view of these two communities including the management of these properties? To us, the facilities were very nice and the grounds were well kept. Thank you for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 07:40 AM

174 posts, read 194,068 times
No one else has stepped in, soooo... some thoughts from an almost 10-year resident.

Carolina Arbor's Piedmont Hall-- reputedly the biggest Pulte built-- is either completely full or almost totally empty. Weekends and evenings are prime time. I often have the indoor pool to myself around lunchtime weekdays, but swimming lanes are crowded in the early mornings. There were some recent issues with the pool HVAC that have been we hope, remediated. Gym use seems varied, but it is usually half-full or less when I walk past it towards the pool. Not sure on the outdoor amenities, but I can hear the pickleball courts from morning till they turn the lights out. There are a lot of things at the block and neighborhood level.

Not sure what you mean by "vibes". Some neighborhoods are more suitable for walking than others and considering the level of maintenance whines I hear the walking trails (rarely visible from the roads) are heavily used. Note that they have just refilled the long-vacant lifestyle management slot, and I am ignoring a lot of emails about New! Exciting! activities. There seem to be over a hundred clubs, some more active than others. Covid moved a bunch of things from Piedmont Hall to people's living rooms.

Based on the new faces I am seeing I suspect that our demographics are trending back to the younger side of 55+, and a lot of people are working during the day. Cruise season and holidays empty the place out as well. Summer activities seem to be centered around the outdoor pool and courts.

Any specific questions?

Old 02-11-2024, 08:59 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
If you're looking at CA and CP, you should also look at Creekside at Bethpage.

And there are other Del Webs being built in the area. Clayton and Fuquay-Varina, maybe others.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:20 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

And there are other Del Webs being built in the area. Clayton and Fuquay-Varina, maybe others.
There is also a Del Webb in Wake Forest offering resales. The one in Clayton is new, and would be my favorite. It is close to town amenities in Clayton and to the river trail.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:31 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Carolina Arbors is very convenient to all that Brier Creek has to offer.

Harris Teeter and Lowes for groceries.
Some Big Box shopping.
Walking distance to the ABC Store!
Restaurants.
Minutes to RDU Airport.

Traffic can be a snarl, but avoiding drive time helps.

Old 02-17-2024, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,820 times
Thanks to all for the comments. For Eolector, by "vibe" I meant the amount of activity in the recreation area and in the neighborhoods. If the community is trending younger than it makes sense that residents are still working and hence less activity during the week days.

No specific questions. Both CP and CA communities are on par with each other, i.e. clubs, nice rec center, etc.

We appreciate the suggestions on the other 55+ communities and will look at those also!

Old 02-22-2024, 02:35 PM

714 posts, read 721,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

How are the houses at Creekside holding up? They're Taylor Morrison-built and they have a national reputation for building crap. A friend bought a house at their Grandin Trace development in Durham and had nothing but trouble with it, from showers that didn't drain to bath cabinets that weren't installed to concrete so rough it would cut your feet.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:33 PM

184 posts, read 311,070 times
I have a question that maybe you guys can help out. I am turning 53 in a few months and my wife is 50. I have heard different stories that some of the 55+ communities will let 10-20% of people under 55 move in. We both really enjoy CA alot and have quite a few friends in there and they love it. Granted they are above 55. But is there any ways a couple like us with no kids can buy a house there? Would we be able to rent a house there for two years then buy once I turn 55? everything I have heard or read is either or. Nothing seems to be in concrete in that rule.

Thanks for any guidance

Old 04-03-2024, 08:24 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachianwx71 View Post
I have a question that maybe you guys can help out. I am turning 53 in a few months and my wife is 50. I have heard different stories that some of the 55+ communities will let 10-20% of people under 55 move in. We both really enjoy CA alot and have quite a few friends in there and they love it. Granted they are above 55. But is there any ways a couple like us with no kids can buy a house there? Would we be able to rent a house there for two years then buy once I turn 55? everything I have heard or read is either or. Nothing seems to be in concrete in that rule.

Thanks for any guidance
Carolina Preserve only requires one person to be over 55.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:11 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachianwx71 View Post

Thanks for any guidance
I would suggest emailing the HOA property management office. One of your friends at CA can give you that information.

Why email and not a phone call? Get it in writing. And if you seriously start to look at buying or renting, I would be emailing a second time asking for copies of the relevant sections of the CC&R's. Include a copy of your first email.

It's a pretty nice place - I don't blame you for wanting to go in ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary