Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 06:04 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,483,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Auction Direct USA, an operator of a network of used vehicle superstores, will expand its operations in North Carolina by locating a new high-volume vehicle reconditioning facility in Granville County, creating 173 jobs, Governor Roy Cooper announced today. The company will invest $2.9 million in Oxford.
“North Carolina’s momentum in creating great jobs continues with Auction Direct’s decision to invest in Oxford,” said Governor Cooper. “Recent accolades for our business successes are fantastic, but there’s no better endorsement than when a company already doing business in our state decides to expand here.”
https://governor.nc.gov/news/press-r...anville-county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 06:47 AM

771 posts, read 634,045 times
Granville County's growth will depend on Durham and Wake Forest. It's easy to commute between Durham and Granville County via I-85, and now that the East End Connecter is open, it'll probably be beneficial in the long run. Meanwhile, there's a lot of suburban development in southeastern Granville, which is very close to Wake Forest. Raleigh doesn't have as much of an impact on Granville County due to highway 50 (Creedmoor Road), which is a dangerous highway with only two lanes through northern Wake County (north of 540) and southern Granville County, making the commute difficult. Falls Lake blocks a lot of suburban development creeping up from north Raleigh, too.

Creedmoor is shockingly small for a town so close to Raleigh and Durham, that's true. Downtown has improved in recent years, but there's still a long way to go before it becomes a town in the vein of Clayton, Fuquay-Varina, etc. Granville County needs more jobs, as the area is primarily blue-collar and still quite rural in nature. At the same time, there's a noticeable amount of rush hour traffic on highway 56 through southern Granville County, so there's definitely growth spreading out there. It's only a matter of time before the area is developed more.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:39 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Granville County's growth will depend on Durham and Wake Forest. It's easy to commute between Durham and Granville County via I-85, and now that the East End Connecter is open, it'll probably be beneficial in the long run. Meanwhile, there's a lot of suburban development in southeastern Granville, which is very close to Wake Forest. Raleigh doesn't have as much of an impact on Granville County due to highway 50 (Creedmoor Road), which is a dangerous highway with only two lanes through northern Wake County (north of 540) and southern Granville County, making the commute difficult. Falls Lake blocks a lot of suburban development creeping up from north Raleigh, too.

Creedmoor is shockingly small for a town so close to Raleigh and Durham, that's true. Downtown has improved in recent years, but there's still a long way to go before it becomes a town in the vein of Clayton, Fuquay-Varina, etc. Granville County needs more jobs, as the area is primarily blue-collar and still quite rural in nature. At the same time, there's a noticeable amount of rush hour traffic on highway 56 through southern Granville County, so there's definitely growth spreading out there. It's only a matter of time before the area is developed more.
With a shifting marketplace due to fundamental changes to how some people work in some industries, I think that there is an opportunity for places like a more isolated Creedmoor to grow and thrive. While not ultra-convenient to the rest of the Triangle, Granville Co. may be perfect for those who want to live further out and who only have to occasionally attend work in person in the Triangle's jobs centers.
I think that investing in continuing to improve downtown Creedmoor and its experiences will enable growth in this model, but it will come with the risk of displacing existing residents who enjoy reasonable proximity without the higher costs of living in the middle of it all. FWIW, I do recognize that the prices in Granville have already increased and that you can spend 3/4 of a Million or more already on a new house there.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
More residential development is coming to a rural county north of Raleigh.

Custom homebuilder Marquis Homes and Company of Raleigh purchased more than 88 acres in Granville County southeast of Creedmoor in the Grissom area at the end of September for a little less than $1.15 million, according to property records.

The vacant land sits off Lawrence Road in the southern part of the county, roughly 25 miles north of Downtown Raleigh.

Tom Hankins, head of Marquis Homes and Company, told Triangle Business Journal that the subdivision is "still in the early planning stages" but they expect it to have 50 to 55 lots with average lot sizes between three-quarters of an acre to an acre. The subdivision will include roughly 25 acres of open space.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...new-homes.html

Old 10-04-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
If you ask Bob Zumwalt, the director of planning and landscape architecture for Texas-based engineering consultant BGE Inc., Oxford could be the next Pittsboro or Sanford.

A couple of projects he's working on would certainly add to the population of about 9,000 in the Granville County city.

Zumwalt has applied for a conditional rezoning for two sites in Oxford – one titled "Knotts Grove Assemblage" that contains more than 260 acres and one called "Raleigh Road Assemblage" that spreads across just under 168 acres – from residential agricultural to conditional zoning to accommodate two huge subdivisions that will include more than 1,250 housing units combined with a variety of home styles.

The Knotts Grove Assemblage will feature 243 townhomes and 593 single-family homes across three parcels off Interstate 85, Zumwalt said. The Raleigh Road Assemblage will have 148 townhomes and 268 single-family homes across four parcels off the intersection of Raleigh Street and West Antioch Drive.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...velopment.html

Old 03-19-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
A Raleigh developer wants to bring hundreds of homes and more than 100,000 square feet of commercial space to what he views as an untapped corridor to spur growth.
Darren Koons has received approvals from the Creedmoor Board of Commissioners to move forward with Creedmoor Village, a 50-acre mixed-use community with frontage on N.C. Highway 56 approximately one mile from Interstate 85 on the Creedmoor side of the Creedmoor-Butner border in Granville County.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...staurants.html

Old 04-25-2024, 02:34 PM

Quote:
When Scott Schroyer arrived to the Triangle area in 2019 to lead the South Granville Water and Sewer Authority (SGWASA), he was given a tall task: Fix Granville County's deteriorating water and sewage system to support growth.

Back in 2017, a hydraulic analysis of the system found that there were capacity issues in portions of the pipes and pumps, making it difficult for developers to obtain water and sewer permits to chase big projects. A study was conducted to figure out how to make improvements to the system to the east and west of Interstate 85 — improvements that would cost the utility tens of millions of dollars.

"I started in August of 2019," Schroyer said. "So they were waiting for me to walk in the door, and then they basically put the study on my desk and said, 'Okay, we've got these major problems. All the growth has stopped. We can't do anything. We need to have this project built. It's $50 million, and we have no money.' So I said, 'Okay, well I do like a challenge, let's see what we can do.'"

After receiving funding to the tune of $35 million from the American Rescue Plan Act and a $35 million low-interest loan from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Schroyer is helping make these improvements a reality through a project dubbed the "I-85 Sanitary Sewer Improvements Project," a more than $70 million project that could see construction begin in 2025 and be finished as soon as 2028.

The plan includes building new pump stations and force mains as well as replacing and extending parts of the current system, according to Schroyer, adding that the improvements will help attract new customers.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...opment-nc.html

Old 04-29-2024, 05:14 AM

720 posts, read 1,044,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Paywall but from the rendering it looks like this might be the Creedmoor location that has the abandoned "was gonna be a subdivision but never launched" hwy 56 frontage, just past the 85 business district on the way to Creedmoor. I've always wondered what happened there. Developer like, oops, not gonna build here, or what? That'd be cool if something actually happened there. The entry road frontage to it is just abandoned, but there's a widening in 56 there, as if there was going to be a right turn lane into this abandoned subdivision style access road.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:47 PM

58 posts, read 24,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
Paywall but from the rendering it looks like this might be the Creedmoor location that has the abandoned "was gonna be a subdivision but never launched" hwy 56 frontage, just past the 85 business district on the way to Creedmoor. I've always wondered what happened there. Developer like, oops, not gonna build here, or what? That'd be cool if something actually happened there. The entry road frontage to it is just abandoned, but there's a widening in 56 there, as if there was going to be a right turn lane into this abandoned subdivision style access road.
Most of what people think is Creedmoor is Butner. Butner is on both sides of I-85. Not one of the I-85 exits is in Creedmoor.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:22 AM

4,285 posts, read 4,740,366 times
That's correct. Exactly how the Butner limits managed to get that far on the east side of I-85 is a curiosity. Surely the town of Creedmoor would have liked to get the tax revenues from those businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary