Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 07:38 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
NC-540 Bill My Mail users may want to watch this:

https://youtu.be/2hQrm9EeszU

to save some money, now that transponders are free.

or, maybe you have that unused bike rack blocking your tag from a camera ;-)

I really feel bad about all the huge dump trucks that are on NC-540 daily, with no visible tag, therefore they abuse the road the most and pay zero. Not sure if I want LEOs tied up issuing tickets for no tag, so maybe we need a lower pay-grade of incentivized LEO folks that just watch for no tags on vehicles?

If it makes you feel better, the dump truck owners already pay a 12% Federal Excise Tax (FET) which people who buy cars and light trucks don't have to pay. A normal dump truck in this area costs $150-200K depending on the configuration so that means they pay $16-$20K in taxes the day they buy it.

FET money goes into the Federal Highway Trust Fund so while that may not cover private toll roads, the trucking companies do pay their fair share of taxes that are used for road building.

In addition to that, at time of sale the trucking companies usually spend another $6K at the DMV for tags, title, highway use tax and personal property tax.

So that means they end up paying about $22-26K in taxes before they've even made a nickel in revenue on a truck. (And of course tag fees and personal property tax are paid annually so there is more to pay as each year passes.)

Oh yeah, they also use a ton of fuel so they contribute more fuel tax than cars, too. (Dumps use about 200-250 gallons per week in fuel.)

Still think the trucks don't pay enough?

Last edited by iamweasel; 08-31-2018 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 12:02 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Reviving an old thread on the 540 extension to note that the SELC environmental lawsuit that was holding things up a bit has been settled.

Quote:
The agreement between the DOT and Sound Rivers Inc., the Center for Biological Diversity and Clean Air Carolina means the state can proceed with final permitting and project financing for the highway, known as the Triangle Expressway Southeast Extension. [...]
  • The DOT will take steps to reduce emissions from construction equipment, conduct greenhouse gas analyses as part of major project studies in North Carolina and focus on strategies and tools to reduce vehicle miles traveled and vehicular emissions across the state.
  • The agency will help enhance the water quality of critical streams and rivers in the project area by implementing additional protections, providing more stream mitigation and restoration, conducting research and developing new stormwater design guidelines. The department also will help Johnston County improve its stormwater management program.
  • The DOT will set aside funds to assist in Wake County’s goals to preserve open space for the benefit of the community.
  • The department will provide environmental work to protect streams, restore wildlife habitat and provide a lifeline for some of North Carolina’s rarest and most endangered aquatic species.
https://www.wral.com/lawsuit-settlem...loop/18585534/

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...ettlement.aspx

Old 08-22-2019, 03:20 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Reviving an old thread on the 540 extension to note that the SELC environmental lawsuit that was holding things up a bit has been settled.
Frickin finally.

I want this done so I can cut out a good chunk of time diverting around Raleigh to get to the beach.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:10 AM

873 posts, read 1,017,487 times
NCDOT says to expect it to be open to the public through I-40 Exit 312 by 2023. So it'll probably be 2025 at the earliest if we're lucky.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:19 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,756,246 times
Great, thanks for the update. Finally they can get working on this. Although I do feel for the people who have property along that route. Can you imagine the number of neighborhoods that will pop up along this road?

Old 08-23-2019, 12:51 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Great, thanks for the update. Finally they can get working on this. Although I do feel for the people who have property along that route. Can you imagine the number of neighborhoods that will pop up along this road?
Many of those people out there have been held hostage for 30 years while senators and environmentalists debated where the road should go. They have not been able to sell their property if they wanted to. Who would buy if a road is going through? Some were counting on using the sale of their land for retirement and never got the chance. It's disgusting what happened to many of those home/land owners out there for 3 decades.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:40 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,715,503 times
Note that it's the south arc that is scheduled to open in 2023. The southeast arc isn't scheduled to open until 2029, the last I read. If you live in north or northeast Wake, the southeast arc is what you need to reach the beach in a hurry.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:03 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Note that it's the south arc that is scheduled to open in 2023. The southeast arc isn't scheduled to open until 2029, the last I read. If you live in north or northeast Wake, the southeast arc is what you need to reach the beach in a hurry.
I'm in the South part of Wake so it's a win for me.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:31 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
So, I hadn’t heard anything, but as of about 25 minutes ago, they seemed to be having or preparing for some sort of groundbreaking ceremony at the terminus of 540 between Holly Springs and Apex. It was weird that there were at least a couple of GoTriangle vehicles there.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:38 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Saw something on the news this morning about it getting approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary