Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:44 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times

Advertisements

There is no monitored/maintained depth. If someone sees 4.7ft on their depth finder, nobody is going to rush out and start dredging. If you're looking for something online or in print that is going to tell you what the absolute minimum depths are, you aren't going to find it.

The absolute best advice I can give is to come down and rent a boat for a day and canal cruise. Look at all the other boats around (this time of year there are a lot of empty docks. Jan-April is generally snowbird season) If you see people in their yards, talk to them. If the boat is in great shape, chances are they use it frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:13 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
55 degrees, with wind chills in the low 40s with a 20mph northerly wind IS cold! BITTER cold, lol
In Wisconsin, we call that "June".

Old 08-30-2017, 04:01 PM

202 posts, read 227,391 times
Manchester Waterway seems to have 5' plus for the most part a bit less up toward El Jobean.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:27 PM

306 posts, read 390,899 times
Since it got buried further up, I'll ask again.

There aren't any tides in the canals, are there? Due to the lock...

Old 08-30-2017, 05:46 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
Since it got buried further up, I'll ask again.

There aren't any tides in the canals, are there? Due to the lock...
That is true ONLY for South Gulf Cove. The Manchester lock was removed 10 or 12 yrs ago.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:10 PM

306 posts, read 390,899 times
Default THanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
That is true ONLY for South Gulf Cove. The Manchester lock was removed 10 or 12 yrs ago.
Thanks, that's where we're building.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:36 PM

34 posts, read 41,368 times
I was able to contact the owner of the website, Patrick, very nice guy. he confirmed manchester waterway is roughly 5', give or take. I found actually there are lots of information on line, the PC and PGI area seem to be a paradise for sailboat owners.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:44 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armour787 View Post
I was able to contact the owner of the website, Patrick, very nice guy. he confirmed manchester waterway is roughly 5', give or take. I found actually there are lots of information on line, the PC and PGI area seem to be a paradise for sailboat owners.

There are no depth guarantees. Yes, the minimum depth that I have found in the center of the Manchester canal is about 5'. I shouldn't even say center because sometimes the deepest part is on one side or the other of the channel.

You will be passing many boats, and you will be turning at least 4 relatively tight corners from that area (and will take 45min+). You will be, at some points, in less than 5 feet of water when leaving the center of the channel. Sailboats have the "right of way", so you can try and stay centered, but you will be passing other sailboats too .

Anyone here who is honest, no matter what they draft, will tell you they can easily find themselves in less than 5 feet very quickly until really learning the area.

I'd recommend a shallower draft boat to start out with. If you are set on a sailboat, check out catamarans or swing-keel monohulls. But, me? I'd start out with a cheap skiff with a good depth finder, it may save you a lot of money in the long run. Learn the area first. Then get what you want.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:13 AM

34 posts, read 41,368 times
Absolutely! Sailboat will be the last one to come by. Thanks all!

Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM

190 posts, read 258,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Sailboats have the "right of way", so you can try and stay centered, but you will be passing other sailboats too .
Not to be a stickler, but sailboats only have "the right of way" when under sail. If the engine is on they're considered power driven vessels and the "rules of the road" determine stand on vs. give way status.

Daz
(USCG 50t Master)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte