Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 PM

517 posts, read 1,091,864 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Big House!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 06:54 AM

325 posts, read 507,260 times
You may be interested in a book called The Not So Big House, no offence Big House the author picked the name not me, lol.
The author is Sarah Susanka and has written several books that are on this subject. May be spelled Suzanka, not sure.

Good luck

Clint

Old 08-21-2015, 08:44 AM

Sounds interesting, thank you! (And, LOL, I had the same thought when I was posting the thank you to Big House for the "Small House" info.)

I just looked at some 600-square-foot versus 850- to 900-square-foot floor plans online (600 is what I could most easily afford in new construction at present), and my take is that unfortunately the observation made on this thread about resale potential would be strongly operative at 600 square feet.

The 600-square-foot home would make me very happy, as someone living on a modest income and seeing housing prices for both sales and rentals rising rapidly, because I'd be (as much as one can predict these things) locking in an affordable roof over my head.

But, as far as possible resale, the cost of constructing a 600-square-foot concrete block home to the latest codes on a lot with no deal-breaker issues would exceed what most of the people who are inclined to look at smaller homes would probably be willing to pay for 600 square feet (barring an exceptional location, but then the lot price would make that no longer a lower priced home).

I think, though (just my opinion), that 800-900 square feet is a good bet for resale (the floor plans would appeal to a wider range of people/situations, compared with 600, and it's big enough that they would expect to pay a "house" price rather than expecting a "tiny house" price).

Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,473 times
Since you're thinking small and economical, have you considered a trailer? I've gone to RV shows up north (during boring winter months) and some of them are pretty nice. I don't know much about potential parks to put them on, but it's just a thought.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:53 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
The smallest home we currently build is a little over 1300 sq ft 3/2/2. its ideal for one person, maybe 2

Old 08-21-2015, 11:10 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Sounds interesting, thank you! (And, LOL, I had the same thought when I was posting the thank you to Big House for the "Small House" info.)

I just looked at some 600-square-foot versus 850- to 900-square-foot floor plans online (600 is what I could most easily afford in new construction at present), and my take is that unfortunately the observation made on this thread about resale potential would be strongly operative at 600 square feet.

The 600-square-foot home would make me very happy, as someone living on a modest income and seeing housing prices for both sales and rentals rising rapidly, because I'd be (as much as one can predict these things) locking in an affordable roof over my head.

But, as far as possible resale, the cost of constructing a 600-square-foot concrete block home to the latest codes on a lot with no deal-breaker issues would exceed what most of the people who are inclined to look at smaller homes would probably be willing to pay for 600 square feet (barring an exceptional location, but then the lot price would make that no longer a lower priced home).

I think, though (just my opinion), that 800-900 square feet is a good bet for resale (the floor plans would appeal to a wider range of people/situations, compared with 600, and it's big enough that they would expect to pay a "house" price rather than expecting a "tiny house" price).
Talk to some Modular builders. Houses that size can be factory build and set in place. They can also give you design / layout options, and confirm zoning and regulation requirements. You can have a perm enact foundation with sanitary, water and utility hook ups set up by a single site contractor. Confirm pricing before plunking down the $$ and verify your not in a flood zone.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:26 AM

325 posts, read 507,260 times
I myself would like a small footprint but it was hard to find in PGI unless you wanted built in the 60's.

The divorced population is over 50% now so it may change in the future.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Since you're thinking small and economical, have you considered a trailer? I've gone to RV shows up north (during boring winter months) and some of them are pretty nice. I don't know much about potential parks to put them on, but it's just a thought.
I've looked into several of the 55+ resident-owned manufactured home communities. Long story short, am impressed by them, and like the people I've met, but am undecided whether that's the right situation for me given that I'd have all my eggs in one basket with this being my only home, unlike a snowbird. (I remember seeing the destruction of Hurricane Charley on the news--saw some of it in person, too, a week or so after the hurricane when I needed to go to Port Charlotte. Very sad. Some manufactured home communities were hard hit, although so were many site-built homes, of course--it was a devastating storm.)

Some of the parks have RV sites as well as stationary manufactured homes. I've never driven an RV--I think it's definitely a skill of its own! I admire people who have that lifestyle--am sure it makes for a lot of great memories of places visited and people met--but not sure I'm up for the adventure!

Thanks for bringing this up because I think you're right that this option (in my opinion, the resident-owned 55+ parks in particular) is very worth looking into for anyone looking for a small, economical Florida home.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Talk to some Modular builders. Houses that size can be factory build and set in place. They can also give you design / layout options, and confirm zoning and regulation requirements. You can have a perm enact foundation with sanitary, water and utility hook ups set up by a single site contractor. Confirm pricing before plunking down the $$ and verify your not in a flood zone.
Thanks for the suggestion. When I was searching on small home floor plans, a few companies that sell kits came up--I'm not sure if that is the same thing as modular that you're referring to. Some of them were very nice, but the ones I saw were wood frame. Does modular always = wood, or are there other construction material options with those?

Old 08-21-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
I myself would like a small footprint but it was hard to find in PGI unless you wanted built in the 60's.

The divorced population is over 50% now so it may change in the future.
Will be interesting to see what happens, now that more building is starting up again. A variety/range of choices would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte