Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 02:10 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times

Advertisements

As for alternatives to drugs? Well, that's a tough one to answer because it probably depends on what your situation with drugs is, along with a ton of other factors about your own life and personality. I often say that I have more fun sober than most people I know have drunk or high. I like endorphins. I like running and hiking, rollercoasters, intense experiences and certain well-controlled pain endurance sessions, such as (but not limited to) getting tattoos. I like getting into a flow state when I am making art or working on a project. I like travel and adventure. Good food and good sleep and good sex. Things that just make a person feel healthy and satiated and well. I derive great pleasure from having conversations with new acquaintances at social activities.

Any of these things can involve altered brain chemistry. Dopamine, serotonin, endorphins, whatever. But more brief and...cleaner...happy-brain hits. That don't impair me much if at all, and that don't harm my life or loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 09:59 PM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I remember seeing singer Chaka Khan in an interview. She talked about her period of drug use. She said that she used drugs as a way to help her avoid feeling things that she didn't want to feel. I'm assuming that's the situation for many drug addicts. They are using drugs
for the same reason. To avoid feelings they don't want to feel.

So my question is what's a better alternative to drugs? How are drug addicts taught to better deal with those feelings that they are trying to avoid?
I know the answer to that question.

What's your experience with drug or other substance use to either feel better or to thwart bad feeling?

Old 04-25-2024, 04:07 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I remember seeing singer Chaka Khan in an interview. She talked about her period of drug use. She said that she used drugs as a way to help her avoid feeling things that she didn't want to feel. I'm assuming that's the situation for many drug addicts. They are using drugs
for the same reason. To avoid feelings they don't want to feel.

So my question is what's a better alternative to drugs? How are drug addicts taught to better deal with those feelings that they are trying to avoid?
I would say that if teaching is involved, then different teaching styles may need to be considered. I needed a role model who could teach explicity and there had to be evidence that it worked for me. I never went down the path of drugs even if the opportunities were there mostly because I was a good listener and good teachers took note of that.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:20 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
True, but I don't see runners on runners highs knocking people out.
Most runners I've met have an attitude that makes me want to punch them in the face. That might knock them out...

Old 04-25-2024, 10:22 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times
Meditation, working out and shooting guns.

Old Today, 02:49 PM

28,921 posts, read 30,284,252 times
This is a great question, one of which never occurred to me....never did drugs, or wanted to, and I suppose its the same for alcoholics...? I don't know, just guessing, but if they want to stop using, it must be extremely difficult...I would say, extreme counseling, meditation, working out, a good diet...but the bottom line is, for them to change, they've got to want to do it...and I mean really want it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology